Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The current state of British tennis  (Read 8255 times)
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 12:08 AM »

Smart move from John, although if Greg Rudeski thinks he's gonna be the replacement, he can jog on! ...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 02:23 AM »

Smart move from John, although if Greg Rudeski thinks he's gonna be the replacement, he can jog on! ...
Reckon he jumped before he was pushed - wisely, probably after his solicitors had sorted out a compensation deal with the LTA regarding his contract.  And Annacone's gone as the team coach, although just exactly what he did isn't clear.  

Have to admit I thought Greg would be a suitable replacement, but am not so sure now.

(a) That he coaches James Ward doesn't fill me with optimism.
(b) More importantly, if he were appointed, fur would fly between him and Andy, and that's the last thing we want in our present situation.

Leon Smith, Andy's first coach, is also apparently up for the job, but this article by Neil Harman, dated July 2009, pulls no punches in this regard - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6720208.ece

Also by Harman, article dated 14 March, on former DC player and captain, Tony Pickard's views on what's wrong with British Tennis, and Harman's own opinions on political involvement - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7061724.ece
[ Last edit by Aileen March 18, 2010, 03:06 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 05:57 AM »

Not surprised and lets hope that some tennis players (Andy) get to have a say yes
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50 AM »

Tennis here in GB is a middle class game. Until that changes, nothing will improve! Let's hope they end up playing San Marino....maybe something will be done then!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02 AM »

Paul Annacone is the luckiest man in tennis. He never was Sampras' coach - Gullikson was. Annacone was just his hitting partner - he had no coaching credentials at all. Henman seemed to believe he was his coach, though, and took him on. It was all downhill from there. And now he's all mixed up in British tennis. Poor sod.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27 AM »

Reckon he jumped before he was pushed - wisely, probably after his solicitors had sorted out a compensation deal with the LTA regarding his contract.  And Annacone's gone as the team coach, although just exactly what he did isn't clear.   

Have to admit I thought Greg would be a suitable replacement, but am not so sure now.

(a) That he coaches James Ward doesn't fill me with optimism.
(b) More importantly, if he were appointed, fur would fly between him and Andy, and that's the last thing we want in our present situation.

Leon Smith, Andy's first coach, is also apparently up for the job, but this article by Neil Harman, dated July 2009, pulls no punches in this regard - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6720208.ece

Also by Harman, article dated 14 March, on former DC player and captain, Tony Pickard's views on what's wrong with British Tennis, and Harman's own opinions on political involvement - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7061724.ece

Love that line in that article about how, if we lose to Poland, relegation to Euro-Africa II would be intolerable and heads would have to roll. Makes you realise how laughable the current situation is.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Paul Annacone is the luckiest man in tennis. He never was Sampras' coach - Gullikson was. Annacone was just his hitting partner - he had no coaching credentials at all. Henman seemed to believe he was his coach, though, and took him on. It was all downhill from there. And now he's all mixed up in British tennis. Poor sod.

I was wondering if you were correct there, as that is not how I remember it, so I had a look and came up with this ...

www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-822606-sampras-coach-quits.do
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03 PM »

I was wondering if you were correct there, as that is not how I remember it, so I had a look and came up with this ...

www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-822606-sampras-coach-quits.do

Yes, he was always referred to as Pete's 'coach', but after Gullikson passed away, he just used Annacone as a hitting partner. I'm not sure he even has a coaching badge.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #68 on: March 19, 2010, 01:06 AM »

Love that line in that article about how, if we lose to Poland, relegation to Euro-Africa II would be intolerable and heads would have to roll. Makes you realise how laughable the current situation is.
Liked it too.  Interesting to read these sort of comments with the benefit of hindsight.  But heads did not roll after a tie in which even Murray couldn't save us from defeat.  The only action the LTA took was to excuse him from DC duty so that he could focus on his career.

I still marvel at Lloyd's failure to play the seasoned Fleming/Skupski duo in the doubles.  All respect to Ross Hutchins, but Andy was effectively playing the long-standing, successful Polish pair single-handedly.  OK, there was no guarantee that Flemski would have beaten them, but at least we might have had a better chance.

That said, perhaps it is all to the (very painful) good that the state of British tennis has finally been exposed to the world for what it is - a laughable elitist shambles.  What happens next will be crucial but, even if it's positive, it'll take a long time for our situation to improve.

Not surprised and lets hope that some tennis players (Andy) get to have a say yes
no  Andy is like a red rag to a bull as far as the LTA is concerned.  This outspoken youngster from the depths of rural Scotland quickly became persona non grata there, especially after the Brad Gilbert business - the only time the LTA did try to help him - and I admit I can see their point in that regard.  Also, not only do our other players lack the experience necessary for anybody to listen to them, but, if Jamie Baker is to believed, they're quite content with the way things were.

Whistle  I'll get off my soapbox now!
[ Last edit by Aileen March 19, 2010, 03:27 AM ] IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #69 on: March 19, 2010, 09:36 AM »

That said, perhaps it is all to the (very painful) good that the state of British tennis has finally been exposed to the world for what it is - a laughable elitist shambles

I’d like to think it was that simple, but it’s worse than that. It’s a thick-as-two-planks, ineffectual elitist shambles, isn’t it?

I guess they would like to see Britain win all the Grand Slams and the Olympics, but they just don’t have a clue.

What IS the magic formula, that they are failing to implement?

and I admit I can see their point in that regard. 

What point was that. I tend to think Andy knows best, and the LTA should consult him, not the other way round.

Also, not only do our other players lack the experience necessary for anybody to listen to them,

Guess that’s true. I noticed that Peter Fleming said on SKY yesterday that our guys don’t spend enough time playing competitive matches, and working out their own way to win, from the age of seven onwards, which seems to support Andy’s approach.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #70 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37 AM »

How long has the Murray-Rusedski feud been going on?
I always thought they were mates - first I heard of any trouble was before the Tour Finals last year when Greg was criticising Andy's play and Andy came back with a putdown.
Tim and Greg were never great friends though either... Think

Not sure where, but I read a quote yesterday in which Andy basically vetoed Rusedski for the captaincy. Something like 'I don't need someone hollering in my ear the whole match'!! lol

And let's face it, the decision rests on Andy's opinion, so Greg can put away the CV and get back on the golf course for now. lol

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #71 on: March 19, 2010, 10:49 AM »

I always thought they were mates - first I heard of any trouble was before the Tour Finals last year when Greg was criticising Andy's play and Andy came back with a putdown.

Not sure where, but I read a quote yesterday in which Andy basically vetoed Rusedski for the captaincy. Something like 'I don't need someone hollering in my ear the whole match'!! lol

And let's face it, the decision rests on Andy's opinion, so Greg can put away the CV and get back on the golf course for now. lol

Rusedski is not well liked. You just have to read Pat Cash's autobiography. Cash spent months redesigning Greg's game to take the stress off his body when serving, and GR never paid him a penny. After a legal wrangle, Cash said he had a very low opinion of Rusedski as a human being.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #72 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54 AM »

Incidentally, he did the same thing with Brian Teacher, who helped him to the USO final of 97. Seems Greg thinks professional coaches should offer their services for free.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #73 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Yeah, I always thought they were buddies.  I heard Chris Evans talking about getting Cliff to be Captain on the radio today (his show from Thursday) lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #74 on: March 19, 2010, 11:35 AM »

Oh, and Tony Pickard dumped him too, describing him as 'ruthless'.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »