Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 9094 times)
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #270 on: February 04, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Well done  yay
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #271 on: February 04, 2012, 05:15 PM »

I am glad Judy is inspiring the team to perform so well.  This was a great appointment by the LTA.

GB will have won quite a lot of points this time round. Not the maximum 1000 points because Anne has lost and they haven't played the final doubles rubber yet. I think that GB should move up from the present #26 ranking.

RT @annekeothavong: We did it! So, so happy right now! Great Britain Fed Cup team are just rocking it Smile

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/12/02/04/manual_134249.html&BID=553

Next up is the World Group II play-offs (21-22 Apr)
[ Last edit by Philip February 04, 2012, 06:20 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #272 on: February 04, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Interesting article Aileen, cheers. Wonder if George Morgan has slipped off the wish list confused
My initial response to that was - George who?  Can't find out anything recent about him now except that his ranking is No.713.  Last news was when he won the Orange Bowl in Dec 2010.  Looks like yet another  British male hopeful has bitten the dust. Frown  

On the other hand very cheering news indeed about our ladies!  yay
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #273 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23 PM »

And here's another tweet - from Ian Chadband of the Telegraph, retweeted by Judy:

"Congrats @judmoo and her #FedCup women. Considerable achievement from one of the happiest, most together GB teams I can recall in any sport"

and Miguel Seabra, a Eurosport commentator says:

"one of the secrets in team sports is players giving everything for their captain; see G-Britain's team in @FedCup: they'll die for @judmoo!"
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #274 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57 PM »

My initial response to that was - George who?  Can't find out anything recent about him now except that his ranking is No.713.  Last news was when he won the Orange Bowl in Dec 2010.  Looks like yet another  British male hopeful has bitten the dust. Frown

From back in September, about 2 or 3 weeks after reaching the US OPen junior semi-final.
George Morgan just  won his first Futures event this week after coming through the qualifying in Sweden. trophy In the final he beat 3rd seed Alex Ward who was in his second final in as many weeks. Smile  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #275 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16 PM »

From back in September, about 2 or 3 weeks after reaching the US OPen junior semi-final.
Thanks for the update.  Hopefully he might make it further the rankings soon!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #276 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33 PM »

The Beeb managed to give our girls the briefest of mentions on the 10 o'clock news - I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies.  Well done Team GB!!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #277 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49 PM »

The Beeb managed to give our girls the briefest of mentions on the 10 o'clock news - I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies.
I thought the same thing Alis.  Surely even a few words with Judy wouldn't have gone amiss?  Maybe just a pity the Saturday news is so short - and tonight there were the reports on the Six Nations as well as frozen footie pitches!

I'd like to think our men can take something from this at Braehead and at least put up a decent fight against Slovakia.  Certainly the ladies' victories won't have been lost on Leon Smith.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #278 on: February 05, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Congratulations to Judy and team. Looks as if she's found her niche yay
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #279 on: February 08, 2012, 11:26 PM »

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/simon-reed/massive-challenge-awaits-great-britain-152124162.html;_ylt=AsMiXERbO8uzZL8MV0PMZKjQp7J_;_ylu=X3oDMTFlajIzMXJxBG1pdANCTE9HUyBCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFva2VnbzNpBGludGwDZ2IEb

This will be Britain's first tie since their promotion to the Euro/Africa Zone Group I and, make no mistake about it, the step up in quality will be very significant.

Slovakia number one Lukas Lacko has a false ranking of 65, because he is actually much better than that: he really is a class act.

Lacko is a mercurial player because he is far too inconsistent, but he has immense talent and will surely break into the world's top 50 this year.

It will be a huge step up for James Ward and Dan Evans with Andy Murray out of the tie, and the difference in the quality of the opposition following their promotion will be vast.

A lot depends on Lacko because, while he is a very exciting player, he can also be a bit of a liability in terms of his concentration and application on and off the court.

The 24-year-old should comfortably win both his singles matches, and that puts real pressure on Ward and Evans to produce a victory along with Ross Hutchins and Colin Fleming in the doubles.

There is no doubt that Britain should win the doubles match because Hutchins and Fleming have blossomed into a very fine partnership, but the visitors must find a couple of wins from somewhere in the single.

Martin Klizan is likely to be the Slovakia number two, and he is ranked at number 120 — still higher than both Ward and Evans.

Klizan is not in Lacko's class, but he has real pedigree and, at just 22-years-old, is likely to show a real improvement over the next year, both in terms of his all-round game and his world ranking.

Equally, Ward has really developed over the last 18 months and anyone who saw him play at the Queen's Club last year will know just how dangerous he can be when he gets his serve right.

He has really kicked on over the last year and he will have to step up and produce a positive, attacking game because he is now — by default with Murray out — Britain's top player and the team leader.

The trouble is that Ward needs to be at his absolute peak if he is to beat Klizan, and Evans would need to be inspired to an even greater extent against the man coached by Karol Kucera.

It is extremely difficult to see either Ward or Evans getting any joy from their matches against Lacko, so the tie really hinges on Klizan's two rubbers.

There is no doubt that if Britain do manage to win this tie it will go down as a monumental achievement.

It would count as the biggest win for team GB for a number of years, and coach Leon Smith will know that he has a great deal to offer with Murray absent.

The British number one is right to pull out of the tie because his coach Ivan Lendl is very big on peaking at the right moments in the year, and he has to protect his fitness.

Murray never needs much input from Smith when he is playing, but this will be the kind of tie that brings out the best in the GB coach because he will have a lot to contribute in terms of helping Ward and Evans.

Slovakia represent an extremely difficult test for Britain and the hosts are the favourites. But if Smith's men can produce an unlikely win, it will be an exceptional effort.

My prediction is a 3-2 win for Slovakia with Lacko to win both of his matches and Klizan beating Evans. Ward can beat Klizan, and the GB duo will win the doubles
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #280 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16 AM »

If Lacko has a bad day at the office, and Ward is on form, the latter might - just might - pull it off in 4 or 5 sets.

Report on the Murray vs Lacko match at the 2010 US Open, which Andy won 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 ...

http://blogs.bettor.com/Murray-vs-Lacko-Smooth-as-a-Summer-Breeze-a24918

Also if Ward is on form then, on the face of it, a victory over Klizan, again over 4 or 5 sets isn't an impossibility, but I reckon Ward's confidence will depend on the result of his first match, and that could be crucial.

I just hope the crowd will give Ward, and the rest of the team, the same support that they would give Andy, and hopefully unnerve the Slovakians!
[ Last edit by Aileen February 09, 2012, 12:19 AM ] IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #281 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56 AM »

About time they stepped up and won a tie they shouldn't win, especially at home.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #282 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26 AM »

They need to stop relying on Andy. I think Golding should play second rubber. Isn't he 19 now? Good experience.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #283 on: February 09, 2012, 11:16 AM »

A twitpic of the DC squad, posted by British Tennis.

http://twitpic.com/8hblmi

Judy's answer to the question (What's caught their eye?) - Ivo Karlovic!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #284 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14 PM »

They need to stop relying on Andy. I think Golding should play second rubber. Isn't he 19 now? Good experience.

Is Oli Golding actually there as part of the squad?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »