Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 10726 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #285 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33 PM »

Is Oli Golding actually there as part of the squad?
It looks like Oli Golding is playing in Turkey this week.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #286 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35 PM »

Why is the LTA not streaming this tie live on its website???  If it's because Andy isn't playing, then I think that's disgraceful! ranting
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #287 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49 PM »

Why is the LTA not streaming this tie live on its website???  If it's because Andy isn't playing, then I think that's disgraceful! ranting
I agree. Very poor.

It looks as though Eurosport Player will be showing it though - so my £3.99 month's subscription paid out just before the AO should cover this as well. Bargain!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #288 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11 PM »

I agree. Very poor.

It looks as though Eurosport Player will be showing it though - so my £3.99 month's subscription paid out just before the AO should cover this as well. Bargain!
I paid out £3.99 as well for the AO - but have checked EP and I don't see any mention of it, just a WTA tournie in Paris ...
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #289 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Click on the picture of Fleming & Hutchins...http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/#

Also TENNIS: British Eurosport secures exclusive Davis Cup coverage
http://sport-onthebox.com/2012/01/24/tennis-eurosport-secures-davis-cup/
[ Last edit by Elena February 09, 2012, 02:23 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #290 on: February 09, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Click on the picture of Ross & Hutchins...http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/#
thumb up  Thanks.  Showing the women right now, but have just announced DC will start at 2.45.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #291 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Had to do a quick edit to previous post. Apologies to Colin Fleming!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #292 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still getting the ladies' match on EP!  pullhair

EDIT: From what I'm reading, it's not being shown on EP, just live on Eurosport 2. Frown
[ Last edit by Aileen February 09, 2012, 03:29 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #293 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Aileen  - I think you're a bit early! Davis Cup starts tomorrow! And it should be on EP
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #294 on: February 09, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Aileen  - I think you're a bit early! Davis Cup starts tomorrow! And it should be on EP
poster_oops   I thought today was Friday!!! doh  That's what happens when you retire ... you tend to lose track of what day it is.  Also brains still a little scrambled after heavy session at dentist on Tuesday!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #295 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Also brains still a little scrambled after heavy session at dentist on Tuesday!
I'd report him to the police Aileen.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #296 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02 PM »

lol    Anyway it's a she, and is really very good - just a pity the tooth was more than a little reluctant to part company with me!
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #297 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/16984057

Andy Murray tells BBC Radio 5 live that British players are not being taught a "specific way", which is hampering the development of youngsters.

The British number one says players from most other countries, like Spain, America and France, have a style of play which is easy to identify with.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #298 on: February 10, 2012, 11:30 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/16984057

Andy Murray tells BBC Radio 5 live that British players are not being taught a "specific way", which is hampering the development of youngsters.

The British number one says players from most other countries, like Spain, America and France, have a style of play which is easy to identify with.
Very interesting.  I've heard Andy talk about this before - that there are too many foreign coaches teaching British kids and that, as a result, we don't have a tennis identity.  But the question has to be asked "How many good quality British coaches are there?"  Given that tennis in this country is still seen as minority sport, I'd say probably not many.  Maybe if awareness of tennis can be raised - which the Murrays are trying very hard to do, and, it seems, succeeding to some extent - then that might change, but I see it as a long term process, not a quick fix.

Have you got any ideas Philip?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #299 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19 AM »

Andy's argument was interesting. If all the coaches are teaching the same stuff, then duff coaches won't matter so much because they'll know what they're supposed to be doing and get on with it. He's talking about the basic grounding isn't he?  He also talked about the work ethic he encountered in Spain, which came as a huge shock. I think that's what's lacking here. No good dabbling in sport.
However, obviously French system isn't like that and they produce wonderful players.
Also, football is our national sport and, unlike in Spain and France, it seems to eclipse everything else. Perhaps because in this country there seems to be a class divide going on. Tennis= middle class and a bit elitist. Football= working class and open to everyone.
Golding has a court in his back garden, bit of an advantage I'd say. The Broady dad falls out with LTA has the dosh to send his kids to France.
I rest my case Shrug
[ Last edit by blueberryhill February 11, 2012, 07:24 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »