Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  What happened to the suspended players? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

What happened to the suspended players?

(Read 1097 times)
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

What happened to the suspended players? « on: March 03, 2009, 02:08 PM »

I can’t remember the player’s names, but hopefully you will be able to help me out.

There was two British teenage tennis players who had there funding suspended when they appeared in a social networking site (bookface or something like that) eating pizza and getting drunk, it made the news for a short time about  two or three years ago.

What I was wondering was what has happened to them since, did they regain their funding and if so how has there careers ever developed or did they give up the game?

No real reason for asking just curious. (sorry if it has been asked elsewhere)

Thanks Smile

Mod NoticeSplit posts from 'Randomness' thread to create a new thread which has now been moved here.
[ Last edit by Mark March 04, 2009, 01:06 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:19 PM »

David Rice was the young male, can't remember the name of the young girl.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:14 PM »

It was David Rice, now at a career high of 881, and Naomi Broady, currenly ranked at 419, 9 places off of her career high.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:15 PM »

You two are absolutely amazing!  What great info.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36 PM »

I can’t remember the player’s names, but hopefully you will be able to help me out.

There was two British teenage tennis players who had there funding suspended when they appeared in a social networking site (bookface or something like that) eating pizza and getting drunk, it made the news for a short time about  two or three years ago.

What I was wondering was what has happened to them since, did they regain their funding and if so how has there careers ever developed or did they give up the game?

No real reason for asking just curious. (sorry if it has been asked elsewhere)

Thanks Smile

Rice wins quite a few matches in qualies but always seems to be just one win off getting a ranking point, so he could be ranked a lot higher.  He played the most professional matches out of any Brit last year with 103 and 5th highest in the world.  Now he's regularly seeded in qualifying and making a few main draws he should hopefully be able to rack up a few more points.  He should be looking to end the year around 700 or just inside.

Naomi Broady had a great 2nd half of 2008 and won her first title in the beginning of February this year.  She has just 2 points to defend until June, mostly due to playing a lot of Junior tournaments.  Now she's in her first full year of playing in the Seniors she should keep rising and maybe finish the year inside the top 300, possibly making the cut for the US Open qualies.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:22 AM »

Rice wins quite a few matches in qualies but always seems to be just one win off getting a ranking point, so he could be ranked a lot higher.  He played the most professional matches out of any Brit last year with 103 and 5th highest in the world.  Now he's regularly seeded in qualifying and making a few main draws he should hopefully be able to rack up a few more points.  He should be looking to end the year around 700 or just inside.

With his seeding in qualifying and another years experience under his belt, is a rise of 180 over the year to 700 not extremely pessimistic especially when you consider how far down the rankngs he is?

Well it looks as if the slap on the wrist has paid of and they have knuckled down to the job in hand.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:29 PM »

With his seeding in qualifying and another years experience under his belt, is a rise of 180 over the year to 700 not extremely pessimistic especially when you consider how far down the rankngs he is?

Well it looks as if the slap on the wrist has paid of and they have knuckled down to the job in hand.

I've never seen him play, so it's a very rough guess and British tennis players never do as well as you expect them to.  For example, in Egypt in February he won 3 matches in qualies but then lost in the first round, which gets him no ranking points.  In Spain a couple of weeks ago he won 2 matches in qualies but lost in the final round, again no points.  That's twice already this year he's won more than 1 match for no reward and it happened loads last year. 

Hopefully it's only a matter of time until he has one good week and gets to the final or semis, which will see him rise a good 50 place or so.  However if he keeps up his current habit of regularly winning but only picking up the odd point here and there it's going to be a tough task to get to 700/650.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:39 PM »

Rice has started getting results in the last month or two and has reached his first Futures final being the top seed and 5th seed along the way. This should take him into the top 700 when the points go on a week on Monday. Smile
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:23 PM »

Josh,

I recall that once you qualify to the main ATP tournaments, you get [10] or so ranking points.  I assume the fact that he doesn't get any ranking point after having won the qualifying rounds means that he is playing Futures or Challengers tournaments ?

Thanks.

Philip.

I've never seen him play, so it's a very rough guess and British tennis players never do as well as you expect them to.  For example, in Egypt in February he won 3 matches in qualies but then lost in the first round, which gets him no ranking points.  In Spain a couple of weeks ago he won 2 matches in qualies but lost in the final round, again no points.  That's twice already this year he's won more than 1 match for no reward and it happened loads last year. 

Hopefully it's only a matter of time until he has one good week and gets to the final or semis, which will see him rise a good 50 place or so.  However if he keeps up his current habit of regularly winning but only picking up the odd point here and there it's going to be a tough task to get to 700/650.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: What happened to the suspended players? « Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49 PM »

So far he's been playing Futures tournaments and no ranking points are awarded for qualifying for them.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »