Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ?

(Read 1321 times)
richie c
Futures Level

Seems to me that the murray brothers are ruling British tennis at the moment. There doesn't seem to be any up and coming talent. I would love a British women in the top 50 at least. but this seems such a long way off what do u think ?   
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:16 PM »

I was about to say, hang on you;ve got murray, what more do u want. But if you mean will we produce a female player, then in the next few years, it's remotely possible with a couple of the 14 yo's, But i'm not very confident.
IP Logged
Jameselaprendi
Challenger Level

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:56 PM »

I think what tends to happen is having a top player boosts the sport in the country. Murray's fast becoming Scotland and Britain's brightest sports star, so hopefully he will be a great champion and inspire a decent stream of good players from this country.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:36 PM »

Of course we will richie... just look at Boggo, Britain's next hope roflmao
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:40 PM »

We got a lot of great good juniors.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 09:33 AM »

Just need to make sure we don't screw it up like with Jamie. Thankfully that one had a happy ending.
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:14 AM »

alex is pure wasted talent, he doesn't make the most of his opportunities. just look at the match with lopez. 12 break points and couldn't convert any of them.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 11:22 AM »

The title of this thread is a little silly. Britain has produced a player as good as Murray, we produced Murray! Surely it should be another...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 11:41 AM »

We may never produce a player like Murray for decades depending on how he turns out.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:48 AM »

But we have produced a player like Murray, we produced Murray!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 11:51 AM »

What?
IP Logged
gjr
Challenger Level

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59 AM »

To be honest this thread is a little silly.

Ever is a long time so yes, Britain will produce a player as good as Andy. Unless of course Andy wins so many slams that no-one will ever better him.

Will the Swiss produce a better player than Federer? Impossible to say. Who knows what is happening in his country in young tennis because of his acheivements.

Borg inspired Willander and Edberg, but I am not sure they have produced anything of note of late.

Henman for all his nearly's inspired Andy to some extent.

Andy is already inspiring other Brits notable Scots even at this stage of his career.

Andy for all his skill and natural talent is still young, he hasn't won anything (of real eye catching) note yet. With Roger & Rafa about he may be unlucky or just not quite good enough for a good few years yet.

I beleive he will win a slam. In fact I think he will win several but it's still early days.
[ Last edit by gjr March 21, 2007, 12:00 PM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17 PM »

What?

It's just about the language of the title.

You could say will Britain ever produce a player as good as Federer, or Agassi, or Samprass because these guys didn't come from GB. Or you can say will britain ever again produce a player as good as Perry or Henman or Murray (although we don't know how good that'll have to be cause we don't know the full extent of his greatness) But you can't say will britain ever produce a player as good as Murray because we produced Murray! The question answers itself.

It's like saying will Liverpool ever have a captain as good as Gerrard. Of course they will, they have him!
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 01:47 PM »

Scotland produced murray. britain had nothing to do with murray or should i say the LTA had no imput until the latter stages total embrassement on their part
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Will Britain Ever produce a player as good as Murray ? « Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:36 PM »

^ Well that's a seperate issue altogether.

You make 2 contradicting points there. You say that Britain can have no claim to Murray because the LTA had no imput into his career until the later stages (although a large chunk of his Barca tuition was provided  by the LTA. Admittedly not enough but still a bit of cash) and they're more than making up for it now with getting Brad onboard. But despite this you make a point. Spain have as much of a claim to Andy's success as Britain have.

Yet you give Scotland the claim to him based on what? Other than his birth right and perhaps the fact he grew up in Scotland. If this is the case then he was born in Britain too, and grew up in Britain, you know, Scotland being in Britain and all that. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Scot and a ridiculously patriotic one at that. And had the question been Can England ever produce a player like Murray I wouldn't be arguing that they already had because Murray is definately not English. But the question was about Britain. And that is somewhere Andy is from, whether you like it or not!
[ Last edit by ljsmall March 21, 2007, 02:37 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »