Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  20,000 Posts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

20,000 Posts

(Read 1577 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

20,000 Posts « Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 11:08 PM »

Quote from: "iaintheviolaplayer"
yeah or this is quite clear as well http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentialFunction.html
interestingly enough, malthus' population model which is mentioned in annies link is something weve just been looking at in our differential equations madelling and solution course

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Sorry, no offence Iain, must be late at night coz everything is just going straight over my head!
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

20,000 Posts « Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 11:20 PM »

lol.have a look at the graph thats there.basically what im saying is that the number of posts made each day, week, month etc increases each month.hence why it took 6 months to get to 10,000 post but only 2 to get to 20,000.as u get more memebers theres more ppl posting and also more ppl coming up with discussions so current members are also posting more.similarly to the flaw with the malthus popultion model however there will be a point where therere so many mebers and new discussions that it will start to slow down. u should all just ignore me rally bfeore i start on real maths
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

20,000 Posts « Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:25 PM »

lol.have a look at the graph thats there.basically what im saying is that the number of posts made each day, week, month etc increases each month.hence why it took 6 months to get to 10,000 post but only 2 to get to 20,000.as u get more memebers theres more ppl posting and also more ppl coming up with discussions so current members are also posting more.similarly to the flaw with the malthus popultion model however there will be a point where therere so many mebers and new discussions that it will start to slow down. u should all just ignore me rally bfeore i start on real maths

I think I understand you - reaching a plateau, levelling off so to speak.  Maths - my favourite lesson at school.  Goes over my head now with what my kids bring home!  #-o
IP Logged
h_o_l
Futures Level

I jist push stuff araaaahhhhnnd

20,000 Posts « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 11:30 PM »

Thats not real maths?!  shocking
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

20,000 Posts « Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 11:50 PM »

no thats just thinking about a problem logically.from doing that u can start to think about an equation to model this.eg

N(t) = H/k +  Ce^(kt)

is a variation of Malthus' model (where population grows exponentially) where people are removed from the population (through death, emigration  etc.) at a constant rate H. N(t) is the size of the population at time t, and k and C are constants.thats starting to get onto this sort of thing on a basic level. however this is really applied maths and im much more into pure maths, proofs of nice properties of prime numbers and all that sort of thing.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

20,000 Posts « Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 04:20 PM »

confused I don't understand a single word of that... And I don't mind Smile

But I did know what exponential meant, we use that term here too!
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

20,000 Posts « Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 04:52 PM »

i wouldnt really expect ppl to know what it meant.i just thought id see how many ppl i could confuse
IP Logged
brighton babe
Challenger Level

Neue Jaffageschmack kuchen schlager Andy?

20,000 Posts « Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 04:59 PM »

i'm afraid i didn't even bother to look at that as i am crap at maths! i get confused in my lessons let alone out of school. plus maths is one of my worst subjects! retard
IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

20,000 Posts « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 08:38 PM »

Hmm... I'm OK at maths, but that was a bit over my head... Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »