Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author

2011 Election Thread

(Read 5318 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »

Tell you what.......I'll keep my mouth shut!

No, no ... don't do that.  People's political views don't trouble me.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #61 on: May 06, 2011, 07:01 PM »

Scotland does get more, because the Scottish population used to be a bigger proportion of the UK population. The formula now used only considers the population change for increases/decreases to the yearly budget, so a budget increase/decrease will be in proportion to the current population levels, but not the amount carried forward from the previous year.

Scottish GDP per-capita (per-head) is lower then the English GDP per-capita, however, that does not include the gas and oil fields. Depending on how they'd be split up between England and Scotland, the Scottish GDP would increase to higher then most regions of England (probably all except for London and the South-East) with oil and gas included (because Scotland has a much smaller population, a decent amount from the gas and oil fields increases the GDP per-capita far more then it does for England).

However, I do remember it being calculated somewhere that the amount extra that Scotland has received over the years does outweigh the extra revenue from oil and gas.

England would get a share of North sea oil? Again, politics and geography are by far my worst subjects, so I'd need someone to explain why England would get any of that resource.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #62 on: May 06, 2011, 07:12 PM »

No, no ... don't do that.  People's political views don't trouble me.
I don't mind people's political views either....but I do have strong views about people who don't vote....especially women for obvious reasons. I'm not going to fall out with you over this.....I'm just disappointed! We had a guy on radio today who says that women shouldn't be allowed to vote as they know nothing about 'serious' politics and were only interested in shoes and handbags! What an arsehole! I wish you could have heard the women who came on to confront him!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #63 on: May 06, 2011, 07:16 PM »

I don't mind people's political views either....but I do have strong views about people who don't vote....especially women for obvious reasons. I'm not going to fall out with you over this.....I'm just disappointed! We had a guy on radio today who says that women shouldn't be allowed to vote as they know nothing about 'serious' politics and were only interested in shoes and handbags! What an arsehole! I wish you could have heard the women who came on to confront him!

I thought you most probably would be thinking along those lines - i.e. women and the vote etc.  However, it's all down to each individual and their personal preference.  I would never fall out with someone because of HOW they vote, and by the same token I would never expect anyone to fall out with me because I DON'T vote Smile
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #64 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18 PM »

As I said......I'll keep schtum!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #65 on: May 06, 2011, 07:19 PM »

As I said......I'll keep schtum!

You obviously feel strongly about it.  I can't get up any enthusiasm for politics.  Now if someone is beating a dog, then I could cheerfully run a knife through their gizzard - I do feel very strongly about that.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #66 on: May 06, 2011, 07:21 PM »

Yep! Me too! yes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #67 on: May 06, 2011, 07:22 PM »

I just think politicians are sleaze bags and have no time for them.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57 PM »

I am so glad the SNP won today. It has given the westminster government a fright. Maybe the coalition
government will take Scotland seriously instead of looking at it as a far flung northern outpost.
They got a right fright few conservatives getting seats and the Lib Dems not having any seats in mainland
Scotland only in the islands. It seems the Lib Dems are paying for their unpopular coalition with the tories.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #69 on: May 06, 2011, 08:38 PM »

England would get a share of North sea oil? Again, politics and geography are by far my worst subjects, so I'd need someone to explain why England would get any of that resource.

Because, er, large portions of the North Sea are in "English" territorial waters?

I also suspect that a huge percentage of the money originally put up to explore and exploit oil reserves there flowed from English pockets.

This is pretty much a moot point - production is declining at more than 200 kbpd a year, despite the last of the large fields like Buzzard coming on stream.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42 PM »

Oh, and on the subject of oil and gas... Shale gas is the next big exploitable fossil fuel, and most of the UK's suitable geological formations are in England (with some potential for the central Scottish belt)

I'm sure the sweaties will be more than happy to get a bit of the bonanza.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #71 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43 PM »

I also suspect that a huge percentage of the money originally put up to explore and exploit oil reserves there flowed from English pockets.

Exactly. It would be a legal and financial mess to sort out.

Incidentally, there's been offshore discoveries of oil off the west coast of Scotland, maybe Mark knows how realistic the chances are of extracting oil from there.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #72 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45 PM »

Because, er, large portions of the North Sea are in "English" territorial waters?

This is pretty much a moot point - production is declining at more than 200 kbpd a year, despite the last of the large fields like Buzzard coming on stream.

It was an honest question. I don't know who is entitled to what and I was under the impression that England only had access to that resource through Scotland. That is why I said that I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to geography and politics.

As far as the money for exploration goes, that's all conjecture.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #73 on: May 06, 2011, 08:52 PM »

Incidentally, there's been offshore discoveries of oil off the west coast of Scotland, maybe Mark knows how realistic the chances are of extracting oil from there.

Yes. Estimated reserves of 1.5 billion barrels. Extraction is expensive and problematic though as these are all deep sea fields.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #74 on: May 06, 2011, 08:54 PM »

So Scotland is screwed without Westminster?  I'm shocked to see how many people voted SNP... given they represent Scottish independence, what benefit is to Britain? Sounds like Scotland are just thinking about themselves... Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »