Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author

2011 Election Thread

(Read 5207 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:49 AM »

I don't know enough about politics really, but I've started reading up on the Scottish economy. Apparently recent studies have shown that an independent Scotland would be the 7th richest country in the industrialised world. Shrug

Neither do I, I just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon! lol

7th?! Really? Based on what? North Sea oil? Think
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Neither do I, I just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon! lol

7th?! Really? Based on what? North Sea oil? Think

I think so. We seemingly have a wealth of natural resources.

I'm not sure how long north sea oil will be a viable export, though. That would certainly be a problem for us.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55 AM »

New sizable oil discoveries are still being made in the North Sea which is interesting, who knows how much potential there is.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 11:57 AM »

I think so. We seemingly have a wealth of natural resources.

I'm not sure how long north sea oil will be a viable export, though. That would certainly be a problem for us.

My view entirely, which is why I cautiously question the logic of independence talk. Get the money invested in future economies now though (technology, green energy - as I believe is actually happening), before the oil runs out, and it could work.

I actually envy Scotland, there's no Tory shite up there cutting everything hard and fast for the sake of it. I'd love for a centre-left party outside the Big 3 to rise down in England.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15 PM »

My husband says Alex Salmond will struggle to keep all the freebies going when Westminster 'slashes' the Scottish Allowance, because Scotland gets much more than it's entitled to. I've always believed that Scotland only got what it 'is' entitled to and not a penny more! We had a big argument about it! I don't know how this works, so can any of you guys help me out here? Is my husband right?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42 PM »

My husband says Alex Salmond will struggle to keep all the freebies going when Westminster 'slashes' the Scottish Allowance, because Scotland gets much more than it's entitled to. I've always believed that Scotland only got what it 'is' entitled to and not a penny more! We had a big argument about it! I don't know how this works, so can any of you guys help me out here? Is my husband right?

I recall reading, admittedly in 2007, in The Economist that Scotland does very well off subsidies from 'down south'.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25 PM »

Markus: New big discoveries of oil in the North Sea? Since when?

Sockpuppet: I'd like to see where you read that.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 01:26 PM »

Ok Joe, but, if that's true, then it must be a 'first' as historically, England have never given anything to Scotland, [or anyone else for that matter]so that leaves me wondering what the ulterior motive would be as there's sure to be one!
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 01:43 PM »

Ok Joe, but, if that's true, then it must be a 'first' as historically, England have never given anything to Scotland, [or anyone else for that matter]so that leaves me wondering what the ulterior motive would be as there's sure to be one!

Maybe the Westminster government wants to curry favour with the Scoochish population in order to guarantee votes come election time? Not that it's worked particularly well!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 02:18 PM »

Based on the argument that because we have our own government, then we should get less from Westminster then yes. Scots complain about 'our money' going down south and being used nationally across Britain, but we never complain if it's a portion of money from outside Scotland being used for our benefit - wonder why? lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20 PM »

Maybe the Westminster government wants to curry favour with the Scoochish population in order to guarantee votes come election time? Not that it's worked particularly well!

Oh Cameron would be all for an independent Scotland. Without the traditional Scottish Labour vote (not that this is showing in this election) being counted nationally, then the balance of votes would be even more Tory centred and limit further the prospect of Labour (or anyone else) ever getting back into power in Britain Smile
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 02:25 PM »

There's a formula used to calculate how much money the Scottish government gets, however England does receive the least per-head of the 4 countries in the UK.
In the 06/07 financial year (according to wiki):
England - £7,121
Scotland - £8,623
Wales - £8,139
Northern Ireland - £9,385

If expenditure would be averaged out, it'd be £7,362 per-head.

The way the formula works, as the budget increases, it increases slightly more for England then the rest, however, with budget cuts, England lose a slightly larger percentage.

There is another big disadvantage that England has, that university fees get counted as money spent in England, with extra money going to the devolved nations in consequence!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 02:26 PM »

Thanks Joe and Hazel, but really I want to know how much money England gets from Scotland........how much goes back to Scotland and what is that decision based on. I suppose I'm really trying to find out who would be better off if Scotland decided to 'go it alone'! Scotland or England!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 02:30 PM »

My husband seems to think that the 'freebies' in Scotland are being paid for by the English!!! I doubt that's true, but I'd like to know either way!
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 02:35 PM »

Read what I've written above...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »