Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Reply
Author

2011 Election Thread

(Read 4735 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #240 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48 PM »

I did find that remark quite shocking, as a matter of fact. This idea was de-bunked when I was at uni many years ago. Time and again IQ tests have been shown to be highly biased towards a certain kind of intelligence and surprise, surprise white males do really well. Could this be because IQ tests are constructed and set by white males?
Tennis-girl and Joe make valid points too.
 People are far too accepting of so-called facts and use them to prop up their own particular prejudices. But there again, the education system hardly encourages independent thought. Heaven forbid we should have a free thinking population that challenges perceived wisdom.
Rant over Shrug

There's nothing shocking about it. People simply reported research, which may very well have been biased. No one has formed any concrete conclusions here, so getting worked up is pointless. I can't tolerate that sort of politically correct attitude. We should be free to ask the question without people throwing their toys out of the pram.

Your bias is evident. You readily accept research from years gone by that supports a conclusion that sits well with you, but you dismiss this research without even having read it. All knowledge is tentative, so your reaction is completely uncalled for.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #241 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51 PM »

And yours isn't?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #242 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51 PM »

So I'm"getting upset" hmm.  I am merely pointing out that as soon as you start using dodgy research to promote the idea that  black people are less intelligent/commit more crimes etc you are certainly on the road to implementing policies that do discriminate against and marginalise black people.

You don't know that the research is dodgy. That's an assumption on your part, purely because you don't like what the data implies. You should be equally skeptical of all research, including that which supports your view. And you certainly shouldn't dismiss research unless you have read it.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #243 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53 PM »

And yours isn't?

I have no bias. I don't have any firm conclusions on the subject, since I haven't looked at the research. And even if I had, a lot more would be required to convince me.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #244 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57 PM »

Certain posts on this thread have really frustrated me Frown
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #245 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59 PM »

Just say what you think.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #246 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59 PM »

Just say what you think.
Blueberryhill frustrates me Frown
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #247 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01 PM »

What I'm wondering - staggering back on topic just for a second or two Smile  ... if Salmond is not going to implement anything "noteworthy" for another couple of years, does this mean he's going to sweeten the pot with frozen council tax etc, lull everyone into a false sense of security to where they believe he can do no wrong, and then pounce with his Independent Scotland in the hope that everyone will think he's the greatest and go along with him.  Or could that just be his own little personal *** dream?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #248 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09 PM »

Are there any studies out there comparing ethnic groups in the same education system? i.e. not comparing the affluent UK, with its high-standard educational system, with sub-Saharan Africa? Already there's a massive skew in two of the reports that Nigel has linked to. The study conditions are not the same at all.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #249 on: May 10, 2011, 08:17 PM »

Are there any studies out there comparing ethnic groups in the same education system? i.e. not comparing the affluent UK, with its high-standard educational system, with sub-Saharan Africa? Already there's a massive skew in two of the reports that Nigel has linked to. The study conditions are not the same at all.

Not sure. Even if there was, you would probably still have to account for socioeconomic status.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #250 on: May 11, 2011, 06:55 AM »

Thanks Joe.......I haven't read the reports.......won't have to bother now!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #251 on: May 11, 2011, 07:37 AM »

Blueberryhill frustrates me Frown

Yes, well I'm frustrated too because Joe is the only one to pick up on my central point that much research is flawed.
My position is that we should stop wasting money on IQ testing and spend it on making society a  fairer and more equal place to grow up in. Once we've done that perhaps we could measure like with like.
Generally I don't like IQ testing. What's the point? We all know that people have different kinds of intelligence and that people develop at different rates. Celebrate difference rather than quantify it. 
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #252 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/10/time-for-scottish-independence
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #253 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Yes, well I'm frustrated too because Joe is the only one to pick up on my central point that much research is flawed.

Oh, stop twisting the facts. No one ever denied that some research is flawed. People are taking issue with you assuming that the research is flawed simply because you don't like the conclusion, and without having looked at it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #254 on: May 12, 2011, 08:06 PM »

And you refuse to address the issues that really matter.
If you want to take a look at the correlation between Race and Intelligence, look at Gcse results available at www.education.gov.uk
An indication, surely.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »