Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Reply
Author

2011 Election Thread

(Read 5007 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #255 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38 PM »

And you refuse to address the issues that really matter.
If you want to take a look at the correlation between Race and Intelligence, look at Gcse results available at www.education.gov.uk
An indication, surely.

What are you talking about? I'm not refusing to do anything. I'm simply pointing out that you can't dismiss research just because you don't like what it implies. If you want to criticise the research, look at it and come up with something substantive (which is what Joe did), instead of of these ad hominem attacks. The sort of political correctness you promote is totally counterproductive. You were offended as soon as you heard that the question had even been researched. I find that attitude intolerable.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #256 on: May 13, 2011, 09:44 AM »

The Victorians justified slavery by claiming that Blacks were inferior, almost sub-human, and it seems to me that little has changed in over two hundred years. You still get the same disgusting attitudes propped up by the same pseudo science.
The assholes that spit on my friends in the street and push dog-**** through their letter boxes and the yobs who make monkey chants at football matches and far worse, I'm not going into, all subscribe to the notion of white supremacy. Where on earth do you think they get these ideas from and how on earth do you think they keep on justifying them?
People have to be really careful here that their findings about race and intelligence are beyond dispute. Of course they aren't and evidence that the research is anything but is out there. Also they have to consider the consequences of publishing these flawed findings. Anything to do with race and intelligence does not come from a neutral perspective and it is disingenuous to think otherwise.
There are really crucial moral issues here.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #257 on: May 13, 2011, 01:09 PM »

I think that some black people are easy to pull out the race card when they feel like it.  My daughters have been called white trash, here in NZ.  I have also worked with black people that have threatened to pull out the race card with disputes at work.  I don't have problems with anyone, no matter the colour of their skin or their political or religious values (no I don't like coverings over the face, that's been documented).  I would like them to treat me as I treat them and I don't expect them to be treated any differently in the workplace/public place or by any government.  
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #258 on: May 13, 2011, 01:27 PM »

I think all racists are a*******s......no matter what race they are!
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #259 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39 PM »

The Victorians justified slavery by claiming that Blacks were inferior, almost sub-human, and it seems to me that little has changed in over two hundred years. You still get the same disgusting attitudes propped up by the same pseudo science.
The assholes that spit on my friends in the street and push dog-sh*t through their letter boxes and the yobs who make monkey chants at football matches and far worse, I'm not going into, all subscribe to the notion of white supremacy. Where on earth do you think they get these ideas from and how on earth do you think they keep on justifying them?
People have to be really careful here that their findings about race and intelligence are beyond dispute. Of course they aren't and evidence that the research is anything but is out there. Also they have to consider the consequences of publishing these flawed findings. Anything to do with race and intelligence does not come from a neutral perspective and it is disingenuous to think otherwise.

But you don't get offended when someone says that black people are superior athletes to white people? Strange how that works. You are clearly one of those people who think that only white people can be racist.

And you did not look at the research. You just assumed it was flawed, without having read it. There's no point in continuing with this, since you seem oblivious to your own bias.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #260 on: May 13, 2011, 05:31 PM »

The assholes that spit on my friends in the street and push dog-sh*t through their letter boxes and the yobs who make monkey chants at football matches and far worse, I'm not going into, all subscribe to the notion of white supremacy. Where on earth do you think they get these ideas from and how on earth do you think they keep on justifying them?

Sorry but you really are just ignoring what Clydey is saying for the sake of it now.

None of us are being racist or suggesting white supremacy, what is being said that our opinion does not stand as evidence of fact. Therefore you shouting your opinion about this, if just that. If you then support your opinion with evidence, then it is a justified and proven opinion. This is not just in the case of this topic but of all, Clydey is saying this is the basic point of all discussion. That we each hold our own opinion, and then we support it out with our own thoughts.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #261 on: May 14, 2011, 09:37 AM »

Actually Hazel, I don't believe BBH is ignoring what Clydey is saying, she is just expressing her opinion, which she's perfectly entitled to do......as we all are! An opinion is just that! When it becomes 'justified and proven', it ceases to be an opinion.......it becomes a fact! Now I don't agree with everything that BBH says, [she knows this], but I would never try to deny her, her right to say it [as long as it doesn't hurt anyone]! In this case, as it happens, I think she's right!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #262 on: May 14, 2011, 10:23 AM »

Sorry but you really are just ignoring what Clydey is saying for the sake of it now.

None of us are being racist or suggesting white supremacy, what is being said that our opinion does not stand as evidence of fact. Therefore you shouting your opinion about this, if just that. If you then support your opinion with evidence, then it is a justified and proven opinion. This is not just in the case of this topic but of all, Clydey is saying this is the basic point of all discussion. That we each hold our own opinion, and then we support it out with our own thoughts.
If you must indulge in condescending academic verbosity, which is what your post is, then please at least be grammatically correct.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #263 on: May 14, 2011, 12:36 PM »

If you must indulge in condescending academic verbosity, which is what your post is, then please at least be grammatically correct.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html

Some people insist that since “none” is derived from “no one” it should always be singular: “none of us is having dessert.” However, in standard usage, the word is most often treated as a plural. “None of us are having dessert” will do just fine.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #264 on: May 14, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Actually Hazel, I don't believe BBH is ignoring what Clydey is saying, she is just expressing her opinion, which she's perfectly entitled to do......as we all are! An opinion is just that! When it becomes 'justified and proven', it ceases to be an opinion.......it becomes a fact! Now I don't agree with everything that BBH says, [she knows this], but I would never try to deny her, her right to say it [as long as it doesn't hurt anyone]! In this case, as it happens, I think she's right!

I don't think Hazel is trying to censor BBH, so I'm not sure why both you and Aileen have jumped on her post. BBH is simply refusing to listen, despite clearly being in the wrong.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #265 on: May 14, 2011, 12:46 PM »

I'm a little confused as to what Hazel has allegedly said wrong as well.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #266 on: May 14, 2011, 01:11 PM »

I never jumped on anyone's post! I commented on it and I didn't even do that until about 14 or so later! Are we not allowed to make comments about other people's posts now, or is it only allowed if we agree with them?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #267 on: May 14, 2011, 01:14 PM »

Exactly she was giving an opinion. However, she was then discussing the apparent evidence, support and studies carried out. Therefore she can't, when asked, just counter the studies (whether we agree with them or not, or think they are biased or incorrect) with her opinion. That was what I was saying.

I wasn't being condescending or grammatically incorrect. I also judged BBH to be of sufficient intelligence to understand my post, my apologies if you think I have overestimated her in this. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #268 on: May 14, 2011, 01:16 PM »

I think that some black people are easy to pull out the race card when they feel like it.  My daughters have been called white trash, here in NZ.  I have also worked with black people that have threatened to pull out the race card with disputes at work.  I don't have problems with anyone, no matter the colour of their skin or their political or religious values (no I don't like coverings over the face, that's been documented).  I would like them to treat me as I treat them and I don't expect them to be treated any differently in the workplace/public place or by any government.  
I never came across colour prejudice until I went to work in London in the early 1960s.  Don't know what it's like now, but at that time the transport system seemed to be run almost entirely by West Indians and there was a high WI population.   Maybe because at the time I had very fair hair, I don't know, but I got called 'white trash' and a few other insulting names, something I very much resented in my own native country!  They were the incomers, not me.

Thank you James.  Things have obviously changed since my schooldays.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: 2011 Election Thread « Reply #269 on: May 14, 2011, 01:20 PM »

I never jumped on anyone's post! I commented on it and I didn't even do that until about 14 or so later! Are we not allowed to make comments about other people's posts now, or is it only allowed if we agree with them?

You do realise that you inexplicably accused Hazel of trying to censor BBH, right? That's what I'm taking issue with.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »