Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Addiction and depression 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Addiction and depression

(Read 2375 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #120 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31 PM »

I have a large Toblerone lying in the middle room. Think it might be out of date, though. Abandoned it after 4 or 5 blocks.

I'd check the date on that, if I were you. It may not be too late. It's like Neighbours or EastEnders: you can leave it for a while, but come back in and pick it up again without much hassle.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #121 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32 PM »

I like the idea of having the points sticking out of your mouth. That's an attractive look in a meeting.

Actually, chocolatey fingers aside, there is something very satisfying about pushing the side of your finger further and further down in between two pieces of Toblerone until it snaps off neatly. It's a bit dirty.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #122 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33 PM »

I don't think you were being either because I took it as more like a personal preference but on the first one, Joe called you a racist and the on the 2nd one, you called yourself a sexist because you don't like female comedians.
Okay Smile
[ Last edit by Mark March 01, 2012, 06:45 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #123 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Gotta be quick, so the chococlate doesn't have time to melt in your hands. Quick break and release. That's the key.

All in the wrist.

You'd know all about wrist action, James.  :p
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #124 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34 PM »

I like the idea of having the points sticking out of your mouth. That's an attractive look in a meeting.

Actually, chocolatey fingers aside, there is something very satisfying about pushing the side of your finger further and further down in between two pieces of Toblerone until it snaps off neatly. It's a bit dirty.

You push down to break? No wonder you get chocolatey fingers! I'd have thought the easiest way would be to grab from both ends and snap the spine outwards, like a crying infant.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #125 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34 PM »

I don't think you were being either because I took it as more like a personal preference but on the first one, Joe called you a racist and the on the 2nd one, you called yourself a sexist because you don't like female comedians.

Joe was being facetious.

And describing as racist someone who dislikes Islam is a red herring. Like Mark, I have the same problem with that religion and it has nothing to do with race. White people who convert are equally culpable, if not more so. They didn't have to deal with indoctrination or environmental pressures.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #126 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35 PM »

You push down to break? No wonder you get chocolatey fingers! I'd have thought the easiest way would be to grab from both ends and snap the spine outwards, like a crying infant.

Joe's got it.

Good technique.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #127 on: March 01, 2012, 06:37 PM »

I'd have thought the easiest way would be to grab from both ends and snap the spine outwards, like a crying infant.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #128 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38 PM »

Joe was being facetious.

And describing as racist someone who dislikes Islam is a red herring. Like Mark, I have the same problem with that religion and it has nothing to do with race. White people who convert are equally culpable, if not more so. They didn't have to deal with indoctrination or environmental pressures.

In all seriousness, I was observing an endocrinology clinic at work yesterday and a young Pakistani woman came in. Her husband was meant to be there too as they're having trouble conceiving. She has gone through all sorts of tests, looking for a pituitary tumour as the potential cause of the problem, despite the husband having been found to have a sperm count of zero. Her results are normal yet he still refuses to attend clinics or have further tests. Is this stupidity a cultural thing?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #129 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39 PM »

Joe's got it.

Good technique.

Lots of practice.

On the Toblerones, not the infants. I don't live in Haringey.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #130 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44 PM »

In all seriousness, I was observing an endocrinology clinic at work yesterday and a young Pakistani woman came in. Her husband was meant to be there too as they're having trouble conceiving. She has gone through all sorts of tests, looking for a pituitary tumour as the potential cause of the problem, despite the husband having been found to have a sperm count of zero. Her results are normal yet he still refuses to attend clinics or have further tests. Is this stupidity a cultural thing?

A few years ago I'd have said stupidity. The culture one would normally only see in Pakistan is becoming much more common here, though. There are real efforts to implement Sharia and they may be successful. I may have once described myself as a cultural relativist, but I think multiculturalism is destructive in many cases. It not only enables the kind of misogyny you see in Islamic countries, but it is profoundly condescending.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #131 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03 PM »

So what does this all mean? Are you not going to ask me out on a date because my background is Muslim? Am not asking you to ask me out but saying what if?  And I don’t want to be so serious but my feelings are getting completely hurt here.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08 PM »

So what does this all mean? Are you not going to ask me out on a date because my background is Muslim? Am not asking you to ask me out but saying what if?  And I don’t want to be so serious but my feelings are getting completely hurt here.

Emma you play some extremely strange games confused
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #133 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09 PM »

So what does this all mean? Are you not going to ask me out on a date because my background is Muslim? Am not asking you to ask me out but saying what if?  And I don’t want to be so serious but my feelings are getting completely hurt here.

I'm talking about specific types of Muslims, not moderates. You will rarely find moderates in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan. And if the polls are to be believed, fewer and fewer British Muslims could now be described as being moderate.

This is an ideological problem, not a racial problem. It is the perpetuation of bad ideas within that culture. You even conceded that it is a misogynistic culture.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Hurt by who? I think that all that Clydey and I are saying here is that the interpretation of Islam seems to have made Muslim women (in conservative communities, at least) into downtrodden objects  and that that sexism goes against what we believe in in this country. It genuinely annoys me to see Muslim women walking around covered head to toe while their husbands swan about in shorts and T-shirts. I have similar problems with the basic tenets of Christianity, although there's not so much of the misogyny.

I'd go out with a Muslim girl, but as long as she wasn't a practising believer. I'd say the same of a Christian girl. Religion and myself don't go well together. I went out with a Hindu girl for a very short time a couple of years ago, although she was only really Hindu in terms of her being of Indian descent. I could sense that the local 'community' wouldn't approve, however! lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »