Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Addiction and depression 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Addiction and depression

(Read 2677 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Addiction and depression « Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:52 PM »

I wasn't saying we should feel sorry for her, I'm saying there are understandable reasons why people fall into the trap of addiction. To simply label it pretentious shows a lack of understanding of certain life situations people get into.

Loneliness is one of the toughest things in life and some people will experience it worse than you will and because of that, you should be open to explanations that do not warrant such negative judgement.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Addiction and depression « Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59 PM »

"I don’t know if you know this, but it’s mostly common in developed countries. Why do you think?"

That's simply not the case.  Smoking is wide spread in Jamaica for a start, and I'm not talking nicotine either.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Addiction and depression « Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00 PM »

I wasn't saying we should feel sorry for her, I'm saying there are understandable reasons why people fall into the trap of addiction. To simply label it pretentious shows a lack of understanding of certain life situations people get into.

Loneliness is one of the toughest things in life and some people will experience it worse than you will and because of that, you should be open to explanations that do not warrant such negative judgement.

And how do you know I am not lonely or that I didn’t have it tough?  

It's a pretentious one if you regularly visit the sickkids hospital and see what they do in order to survive one more month.

You talk about having the right people around but let me tell you this, no one can manipulate you unless you let them.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Addiction and depression « Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10 PM »

"I don’t know if you know this, but it’s mostly common in developed countries. Why do you think?"

That's simply not the case.  Smoking is wide spread in Jamaica for a start, and I'm not talking nicotine either.

Approximately 8 to 13% get into addictions each year. And smoking is not as deadly but still deadly enough. That's why people are quitting or at least trying to quit. If someone knowing all this get into this nasty habit anyway, then rest assured, I will be not in support of it. I am not condemning them but I don't think they should be all over the news. It's not like they died saving someone's life.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Addiction and depression « Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17 PM »

It's not like they died saving someone's life.
For all you know, they might be a transplant donor.?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Addiction and depression « Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Nothing is straight forward. You are saying in effect that we should all be like you,we all have different ways of coping with problems and disappointments in our life. I am sure none of us go out of our way to be lonely. In western society young adults leave home to make their own way in the world, leaving home for work or continued education. It can be hard to make new friends in a strange town. Yes people can still be lonely living in a big city. Asian and African society seem to have the right idea with the oldest to the youngest all living together. The elderly are cared for unlike in the west because of work and other commitments, our elderly are looked on as being a burden to the state.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Addiction and depression « Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 08:27 PM »

And how do you know I am not lonely or that I didn’t have it tough? 
I didn't say you were not lonely but simply that some people will be more lonely than you. That is a very fair assumption to make.

You talk about having the right people around but let me tell you this, no one can manipulate you unless you let them.
That's a rather silly comment. Everyone is different and some people are very vulnerable.

I'd like to see you tell that to an abused woman who was controlled by her cult leader or a wife who is imprisoned in an abusive marriage.
[ Last edit by Mark February 15, 2012, 08:32 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Addiction and depression « Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:48 PM »

I didn't say you were not lonely but simply that some people will be more lonely than you. That is a very fair assumption to make.

Again, how do you know some people will be lonelier than me? How am I not one of them? If people are lonely that would be by choice. In any case, you don't always need people around you. There are other ways to fill the void but loneliness should never be the cause of getting into drugs. You have to be incredibly stupid to actually realize that this is only going to make things worse and not better. This is suicide.  

That's a rather silly comment. Everyone is different and some people are very vulnerable.
I'd like to see you tell that to an abused woman who was controlled by her cult leader or a wife who is imprisoned in an abusive marriage. [/quote]

You do realize you are now simply moving away from the original discussion? We are talking about drugs and addictions here where things are mostly voluntary. The subject of abused wive is entirely a different matter. But still, if there's will there's way. Some people just give in even when they have a chance to actually fight back.  

Don't assume ever that I am strong headed person because I am not - quite vulnerable and weak in fact - I just found different ways to cope with all the adversities life throws at me from time to time
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Addiction and depression « Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Again, how do you know some people will be lonelier than me? How am I not one of them?
Probability. And I firmly stick by my assumption.

You do realize you are now simply moving away from the original discussion? We are talking about drugs and addictions here where things are mostly voluntary. The subject of abused wive is entirely a different matter. But still, if there's will there's way. Some people just give in even when they have a chance to actually fight back. 

Don't assume ever that I am strong headed person because I am not - quite vulnerable and weak in fact - I just found different ways to cope with all the adversities life throws at me from time to time
I'm not moving away from the subject. You gave a very black and white argument saying people are in control of their actions and therefore they are to blame but I can give many examples of where people are manipulated into doing things things because they are inherently vulnerable.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Addiction and depression « Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Probability. And I firmly stick by my assumption.
I'm not moving away from the subject. You gave a very black and white argument saying people are in control of their actions and therefore they are to blame but I can give many examples of where people are manipulated into doing things things because they are inherently vulnerable.

Those people who are not in control of things, they don't count because they are in the minority; therefore, an exception and exceptions can never be used as a general term. If you go case by case, you will see that drug users are especially into drugs knowing fully well, that they can avoid the whole thing if only they sacrifice a bit more, but they are too reluctant to do it. The comfort, being normal with minimum effort is what they want because it’s easy.

In fact, there are other reasons. A lot of the countries are now thinking about making drugs legal because there are certain attractions for banned substances in people, so they tend to crave for it. Holland in this instance has already made drugs legal.
Let me tell you this, I am Muslim (though I don’t practice at all just by born) and you know most Muslims people don’t drink so I pretty much grew up not seeing even one alcoholic in sight like ever. Never mind accidents. And I can tell right off the bat how many people die in North America alone of drinking and driving. Can we prevent this? Absolutely. Are we going to do it? Probably not. We would rather choose death.

So it’s a choice you make eventually when given certain circumstances. Don’t hold me responsible for it now.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Addiction and depression « Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Those people who are not in control of things, they don't count because they are in the minority; therefore, an exception and exceptions can never be used as a general term. If you go case by case, you will see that drug users are especially into drugs knowing fully well, that they can avoid the whole thing if only they sacrifice a bit more, but they are too reluctant to do it. The comfort, being normal with minimum effort is what they want because it’s easy.

In fact, there are other reasons. A lot of the countries are now thinking about making drugs legal because there are certain attractions for banned substances in people, so they tend to crave for it. Holland in this instance has already made drugs legal.
Let me tell you this, I am Muslim (though I don’t practice at all just by born) and you know most Muslims people don’t drink so I pretty much grew up not seeing even one alcoholic in sight like ever. Never mind accidents. And I can tell right off the bat how many people die in North America alone of drinking and driving. Can we prevent this? Absolutely. Are we going to do it? Probably not. We would rather choose death.

So it’s a choice you make eventually when given certain circumstances. Don’t hold me responsible for it now.
I doubt many people are in control of things, Emma Jean.  There's a thing called 'life' and it tends to throw you this way and that.  I take my hat off to you for being so sure about things. It would be great if life was black and white, but it isn't.  Shades of grey are what we all live with.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Addiction and depression « Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 09:26 PM »

Get busy living or get busy dying...... No truer words.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Addiction and depression « Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Long post alert!

Those are still excuses. Loneliness is simply a matter of perspective. If you are lonely then do some volunteer work. Keep yourself busy. There are ways. There are options. Have you tried everything else before you got into addictions? I doubt it. The world as we know it presents us with many options yet you choose the one you feel will comfort you the most. Why? Because it's the easy way out simply put. In other words, you are being lazy and you need comfort right away. If you deny it, then you are still in denial.

See, nothing in life is meant to be easy and addictions are mostly voluntary at first. Any scientist or researcher will tell you that. Whether or not the brain is predisposed to addiction is still being argued. But that doesn’t mean that they will get addicted regardless but that they are more prone to it, but you do have the option to stay out of it. I don’t know if you know this, but it’s mostly common in developed countries. Why do you think?

In any case, all addictions are unhealthy be it food or video games or drugs or alcohol. It’s just that some are deadlier than the others. Even a dumb person would know that forget about weak and vulnerable. The fact that it’s voluntary first and you understand the consequences yet you go into it anyway makes it a strong case that of a pretentious one - unlike other diseases - where it’s mostly involuntary. Basically you are asking for a disease knowing fully well that this will eventually kill you and in the process, you are making sure you get this disease.

Life, after all, is a series of choices. Well mostly. And the choices you make will shape up your life exactly that way. You can’t possibly expect me to feel sorry for you when you pretty much volunteer to kill yourself.  Never mind how selfish you are anyway. I feel sorry for Steve Jobs who desperately wanted to live another couple of decades or so. Could have contributed so much more had he lived.

You never ever want to take life for granted no matter how hard it gets. You do everything to keeps things in perspective. And know this, no matter what you do, you are still not getting out of it alive. We are all going to die anyway.

You don't seem to understand addiction at all. It's all very well saying all this stuff when you have never had to deal with it or clinical depression.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Addiction and depression « Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15 PM »

Emma Jean does have an addiction to long posts.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Addiction and depression « Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40 PM »

Where on earth are you getting this from? This is really ignorance speaking.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »