Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Addiction and depression 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Addiction and depression

(Read 2039 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #135 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Hurt by who? I think that all that Clydey and I are saying here is that the interpretation of Islam seems to have made Muslim women (in conservative communities, at least) into downtrodden objects  and that that sexism goes against what we believe in in this country. It genuinely annoys me to see Muslim women walking around covered head to toe while their husbands swan about in shorts and T-shirts. I have similar problems with the basic tenets of Christianity, although there's not so much of the misogyny.

I'd go out with a Muslim girl, but as long as she wasn't a practising believer. I'd say the same of a Christian girl. Religion and myself don't go well together. I went out with a Hindu girl for a very short time a couple of years ago, although she was only really Hindu in terms of her being of Indian descent. I could sense that the local 'community' wouldn't approve, however! lol

I went out with a girl who wasn't religious, but was into crystal healing. That had to come to an end. I couldn't ignore it any longer.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #136 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33 PM »

I went out with a Hindu girl for a very short time a couple of years ago, although she was only really Hindu in terms of her being of Indian descent. I could sense that the local 'community' wouldn't approve, however! lol
So you found that side of thing could be a bit of a Hindurance.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #137 on: March 01, 2012, 07:55 PM »

GROAN.
IP Logged
hollyhanson

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #138 on: March 01, 2012, 08:18 PM »

hahaha thats clever
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #139 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56 PM »

hahaha thats clever

Hi Robbie.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #140 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44 PM »

As the great Billy Connolly once said.. "It's impossible to eat a fu#*ing Toblerone without hurting yourself."
A few sadists here I see...
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #141 on: March 01, 2012, 11:49 PM »

Roasted-nut Galaxy for me. Or any kind of praline.

And, since depression can be alleviated with chocolate, we're still on Topic. (See what I did there.)

My avatar says it all really Little tongue man
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #142 on: March 01, 2012, 11:57 PM »

The other day we spent US$28 at duty free Miami airport for 2 bottles of rum... then hubby spent $18 on ONE BAG Dairy Milk Caramel choccies.
I prefer the rum personally. He's a chocaholic, and I'm..... not! Whistle
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #143 on: March 02, 2012, 12:00 AM »

I have a large Toblerone lying in the middle room. Think it might be out of date, though. Abandoned it after 4 or 5 blocks.

You had one when I was there in December...is that it?

If so, ew.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #144 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06 AM »

You had one when I was there in December...is that it?

If so, ew.

Same one.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #145 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58 AM »

Look Joe, this is draining me a bit. For that reason, I will personally communicate with Aileen which I have been doing so since yesterday anyway. It’s personal stuff and should remain personal. I don’t think Clydey is a bad person at all; it’s just that we can’t see eye to eye on things right now. He hates me and thinks very low of me and so be it. I don’t think I will be able to please everyone especially when I always have different stuff to say.

Sorry to change the topic, but having just managed to read through all the posts Emma (because I had to go out), I think you've more than fully answered my question, and I can understand now where you're coming from.  However, it strikes me that between us we seem to have divulged a lot of personal information, so I think perhaps it's time this subject was left to lie.

One thing I will say though and that is that, despite everything, I find men on the whole to be more trustworthy than women.  Us females can be hellish devious creatures (and I'm not ruling myself out here), whereas men are more likely to be straight with you.  Also I worked as a secretary mainly in legal offices, and that included a spell with a solicitor who handled a fair number of divorce cases - and I'm talking here about the more complicated ones which only too often involved the children of the marriage - in many of which it was the wife who was the chief trouble-maker, particularly when it came to domestic abuse, both mental and physical.  There are an awful lot of henpecked men around.  Also, although I know you might find this hard to believe, there are a fair number of battered husbands as well.  Women can be as physically abusive as men, only instead of using their hands and fists, they resort to using any item that happens to be lying around - the old jokey scenario of a wife beating her husband with a rolling-pin isn't as far fetched as you might think - and a considerable amount of damage can be done with long, sharp, fingernails.  A lot of this husband-battering did come to light a few years ago when a charity was set up specifically to help men in that predicament because, unlike women, they were often very hesitant to tell anyone about the problem in case they were seen as being ineffectual and emasculated, the real truth being that many men are prepared to put up with this because there's still a belief that it's wrong to hit a woman, and so they don't retaliate.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #146 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28 AM »

As the great Billy Connolly once said.. "It's impossible to eat a fu#*ing Toblerone without hurting yourself."
A few sadists here I see...

I heard recently that a man who tried to put a toblerone up his arse was arrested by the police and put in a prism over night.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #147 on: March 02, 2012, 11:47 AM »

I heard recently that a man who tried to put a toblerone up his arse was arrested by the police and put in a prism over night.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #148 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Love that one Mark. Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Addiction and depression « Reply #149 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Sorry to change the topic, but having just managed to read through all the posts Emma (because I had to go out), I think you've more than fully answered my question, and I can understand now where you're coming from.  However, it strikes me that between us we seem to have divulged a lot of personal information, so I think perhaps it's time this subject was left to lie.

One thing I will say though and that is that, despite everything, I find men on the whole to be more trustworthy than women.  Us females can be hellish devious creatures (and I'm not ruling myself out here), whereas men are more likely to be straight with you.  Also I worked as a secretary mainly in legal offices, and that included a spell with a solicitor who handled a fair number of divorce cases - and I'm talking here about the more complicated ones which only too often involved the children of the marriage - in many of which it was the wife who was the chief trouble-maker, particularly when it came to domestic abuse, both mental and physical.  There are an awful lot of henpecked men around.  Also, although I know you might find this hard to believe, there are a fair number of battered husbands as well.  Women can be as physically abusive as men, only instead of using their hands and fists, they resort to using any item that happens to be lying around - the old jokey scenario of a wife beating her husband with a rolling-pin isn't as far fetched as you might think - and a considerable amount of damage can be done with long, sharp, fingernails.  A lot of this husband-battering did come to light a few years ago when a charity was set up specifically to help men in that predicament because, unlike women, they were often very hesitant to tell anyone about the problem in case they were seen as being ineffectual and emasculated, the real truth being that many men are prepared to put up with this because there's still a belief that it's wrong to hit a woman, and so they don't retaliate.

Not at all. Women can be very controlling and manipulative in their own way – even Muslim women to be honest. Last year, a married American man showed a lot of interest in me. He told me he's in a very abusive relationship with his wife to the point that one night he had to call the police to have restraining orders against her. He really wants to leave her but because they have a child together and because she's too reluctant to take a job, it feels impossible for him to down to that divorce road. He told me that while he's perfectly willing to give her child support no way in hell he'll give her alimony. Anyway, I didn’t go out with him because I don’t go out with married men. He could be lying of course but the details were a bit much to make the whole thing up. He seemed like a trustworthy guy anyway.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »