Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Becoming a Vegetarian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Are you a vegetarian?
Yes. - 8 (26.7%)
No. - 4 (13.3%)
No - I've tried but chose not to stick with it. - 6 (20%)
No - But I'm interested in becoming one at some point. - 3 (10%)
No - I've never been interested. - 9 (30%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Becoming a Vegetarian

(Read 7280 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Becoming a Vegetarian « on: January 02, 2010, 01:17 AM »

It's been suggested a couple of times that I create a thread about vegetarianism, so here it is!

I've wanted to be a vegetarian for years but never got down to it but at this moment in my life, it feels right to take the plunge. I plan to complete the transition process to becoming a complete vegetarian within the next few weeks and have it as a permanent lifestyle. So far I'm at the stage of testing out meals to see which ones I can stick to regularly. Egg (free range) noodles and aromatic stir fry is currently my favourite so far.

More information on this subject can be found here: GoVeg.com
[ Last edit by Mark January 02, 2010, 01:24 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Becoming a vegetarian « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:27 AM »

clap

I think it very good of you to take the plunge (despite me bad mouthing your microwave pizza).  My hubby eats a lot of vegetarian meals - he doesn't like the taste of what I would call real meat, though he does like minced beef in lasagnes and cottage pie and will eat beefburgers.

Whilst I do like vegetarian meals, I couldn't give up on meat entirely.

I will try and email you personally any vege recipes I get.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:30 AM »

The hardest thing will be not having lasagna and spaghetti bolognase, they are my favourite meals. However, I've heard that Quorn Mince, unlike some of their other products, is very good so I will be trying that soon.

I will try and email you personally any vege recipes I get.
Just post them here but I probably won't try it unless it's very simple. I don't like putting that much effort into cooking a meal Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33 AM »

The hardest thing will be not having lasagna and spaghetti bolognase, they are my favourite meals. However, I've heard that Quorn Mince, unlike some of their other products, is very good so I will be trying that soon.
Just post them here but I probably won't try it unless it's very simple. I don't like putting that much effort into cooking a meal Very Happy

Okie dokie.

The risotto one is fairly easy as far as I can remember.

So are you trying to keep clear of any product that has animal by-products in it.  Like marshmallows?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33 AM »

Yeah, I'll try... I don't think it will be much of an extra challenge if it's just avoiding certain sweets/chocolates.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:36 AM »

My friend goes for the organic chocolate and doesn't eat any other sweets, though saying that, she has a soft spot for Thorntons, though they are hard to come by here!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:40 AM »

I think there's plenty of Cadbury's chocolates that don't have animals involved, so I don't think I'll need to turn to the horrible tasting (assumption) organic chocolate Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:26 AM »

Green & Black’s      Organic Milk Chocolate
                                 Organic White Chocolate
Oxfam                     Organic Masca Milk chocolate (100g) 32% (FairTrade mark)
                                 Organic Masca Orange (100g) (FairTrade mark)
                                 Organic Masca Cappuccino (100g) (FairTrade mark)
Cadbury’s                     Some of this company's products may be suitable for vegetarians, however because
                                 this company continues to source their cocoa from regions affected by forced and abusive
                                 child labor, the VSI has decided not to list their products.
                                 Please see the note below on Fairtrade.
Rowntree/Nestlé     Some of this company's products may be suitable for vegetarians, however because
                                 this company continuescontinue to source their cocoa from regions affected by forced
                                 and abusive child labor, the VSI has decided not to list their products.
                                 Please see the note below on Fairtrade.
Mars                     All Mars products are now unsuitable for vegetarians due to the likely use of rennet to produce whey.

FairTrade chocolate – the ethical opinion
Where chocolate has the FAIR TRADE mark, you can be sure that a higher premium goes direct to the farmers that produce the cocoa beans. There is a better chance that cocoa bean growers can maintain independent ownership of their plots and farms. It is too easy for traders to pay lower prices for the beans, increasing their profit margins but reducing the gain for the growers, so it is up to us to support Fair Trade marked goods.

My friend ususally has the Green & Black's Chocolate - the higher the cocoa % the better it is for you and the less you'll want.  Green & Black's dark chocolate is vegan.
[ Last edit by Bevc January 02, 2010, 04:41 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15 AM »

Green & Black's does taste pretty crap though Think
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:26 AM »

I can honestly say that I've never tried that.  I, more often than not, have Cadbury's Energy Chocolate or Whittakers (NZ brand) Bittersweet Dark Little tongue man
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:36 PM »

You can get veggie mince (not quorn I think it's maybe soya based) from places like Real Foods, its dried and needs a bit of liquid when cooking it but it's what my mum uses and I think it's better than the quorn stuff.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:00 PM »

I'll probably try a few different ones yes

Why does your Mum use it? Is she vegeterian or something?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08 PM »

Yeah my mums been a veggie for over 30 years Smile
TVP= textured vegetable protein
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Is she very healthy then? Looking young for her age? Very Happy
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Becoming a Vegetarian « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14 PM »

I've been vegeterian now for a couple of years and I have never felt healthier!  My husband visited an abbatoir once and the stories he related back finished me with regard to meat.  What really annoys me is the comments about 'tree huggers'  'weirdos' 'get a life', etc.  I know how much healthier I feel and wonder if the same can be said of them?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »