Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Benefits and financial support 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Benefits and financial support

(Read 10679 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44 PM »

Aileen frequently talks a tremendous amount of sense, Chris. There are so many people who just rely on any benefits they can lay their hands on rather than working to provide for themselves and their families. I know a few youngsters like that - nice people too, friends of my daughter's who refused dole even when she was entitled to it and is independent of us by her own choice. These young people have a nice little house as she was a single Mum but she has recently married the child's father so whether or not circumstances will change. When I asked Emma about this a couple of years or so ago when she was struggling she just said 'That is their way - I don't want to live on charity.' She is OK at the moment - she has a job this last  years and works hard - rents a converted barn with a friend whose boyfriend has just joined them, making the rent and payments easier. Of course her room is here if she wants it and we help when her pride allows us to but we are proud of her but know that the only time she will be able to afford a home of her own is after we 'pop off, whereas these other young people are already set up. She is a happy girl and is maturing into a fine young woman - but then I'm prejudiced!!
Jan, your daughter sounds a real credit to you.  When she does eventually get a home of her own (and I wish you and Ossie a long and happy life!) she will value it so much more than those to whom it has been handed on a plate, so to speak.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53 PM »

Jan, your daughter sounds a real credit to you.  When she does eventually get a home of her own (and I wish you and Ossie a long and happy life!) she will value it so much more than those to whom it has been handed on a plate, so to speak.
We don't claim responsibility for the way she is - she's always been a stubborn 'I'll go my way' lassie - something in her genes I expect Aileen. She works for a shipping firm and has just earned a rise as they are clawing their way back up the scale after the recession.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 09:55 PM »

We don't claim responsibility for the way she is - she's always been a stubborn 'I'll go my way' lassie - something in her genes I expect Aileen. She works for a shipping firm and has just earned a rise as they are clawing their way back up the scale after the recession.
Wanting to be independent is one thing, but I just hope she isn't too stubborn and will accept help if she really needs it.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01 PM »

I guess they are either Catholics or have never heard of birth control.  Of course it is the kids who will suffer long term - who can provide for 6 children adequately.  Words fail me.

Judgemental much Rolling Eyes
Yeah well accidents happen and they'll find a way to manage (though father isn't getting a choice about a snip after this one lol his wife said). The kids are a good bunch and their gran is always ready to pitch in a lend an extra hand.

Jan your daughter is lucky yo have you two hug Not that my parents aren't great Smile they've always tried to help me as much as possible and so glad that their willing to put up with me for now till I find my feet.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22 PM »

Judgemental much Rolling Eyes

Erm ... you don't think that having 6 children you can't afford is irresponsible?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41 PM »

Erm ... you don't think that having 6 children you can't afford is irresponsible?
What you're saying is that the couple Hazel referred to shouldn't have a child of their own, since he had 3 from his 1st marriage and she had 1 from hers?  What isn't known is the financial position of the husband and his 1st wife.  If they couldn't afford 3 children, then they were the irresponsible ones.

But I do think you're being a bit harsh here in what is a grey area.  Accidental pregnancies do occur, although if money is tight then they should have made darn sure that this simply couldn't happen.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 11:47 PM »

I guess they are either Catholics or have never heard of birth control.  Of course it is the kids who will suffer long term - who can provide for 6 children adequately.  Words fail me.

I don’t agree with having child after child when you’re on benefits.  I think that is irresponsible.

I’m from a family of seven children – ranging from 47 to 30. No, we aren’t Catholics and yes we all have the same mum and dad.  I’ve been asked that a few times which really pisses me off. My father worked from the age of 16 to 49 when he died.  My mother went back to work after each child and she continued working until she was forced by her employer to retire at 65.  She wanted to keep working. My parents wanted a large family and they worked bloody hard to provide for us. We were raised extremely well - thanks very much. We didn’t have a huge home but it was ours and I love being part of a big family.

The only thing my mother ever got was child benefit. She gets my dad’s pension, which means she doesn’t get a lot of the benefits that, a lot of retired people get.  One of my siblings passed away but the rest of us are all working.  Nothing should be handed to you on a plate – which is what I was taught by my mum and dad. I have to say that when I see families living in £1.2 million homes that taxpayers like myself are paying for it really riles me.

I personally don’t think anyone should get child benefit.  At the most you should get for the 1st child. Seeing people who have never worked getting £30,000+ in benefits really riles me.  I understand it’s not a popular opinion but if you can’t afford children then you don’t have them.

Just because you come from a big family doesn’t mean your parents relied on the taxpayer.

IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 11:51 PM »

What you're saying is that the couple Hazel referred to shouldn't have a child of their own, since he had 3 from his 1st marriage and she had 1 from hers?  What isn't known is the financial position of the husband and his 1st wife.  If they couldn't afford 3 children, then they were the irresponsible ones.

But I do think you're being a bit harsh here in what is a grey area.  Accidental pregnancies do occur, although if money is tight then they should have made darn sure that this simply couldn't happen.

I believe Hazel said this was their second child together.

I have no problem with couples having as many children as they can afford - I just don't think the British taxpayer should be subsidising them. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 12:03 AM »

I believe Hazel said this was their second child together.

I have no problem with couples having as many children as they can afford - I just don't think the British taxpayer should be subsidising them.  
Yes, the accidental pregnancy is their 2nd child together.

I agree with you about the taxpayer not subsidising "unaffordable" children, but when I said earlier that child benefit should only be paid for the first two children I was thinking about the first two of any marriage, which is why cases like this are a grey area.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 12:06 AM »

Yes, the accidental pregnancy is their 2nd child together.

I agree with you about the taxpayer not subsidising "unaffordable" children, but when I said earlier that child benefit should only be paid for the first two children I was thinking about the first two of any marriage, which is why cases like this are a grey area.

I did not address your comments about child benefit being paid for the first two children as I entirely disagree with child benefit full stop.

It has been reported that it costs £200,000 per child to the age of 21 - how can someone living in a council house with six children hope to manage this? 

Cost of raising child breaks £200,000Report shows inflation-busting increase in bill for child's first 21 years, with outer London the most expensive area

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/feb/23/child-cost-inflation
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 12:25 AM »

It's clear that Daisy is a Social Darwinist.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40 AM »

I did not address your comments about child benefit being paid for the first two children as I entirely disagree with child benefit full stop.

It has been reported that it costs £200,000 per child to the age of 21 - how can someone living in a council house with six children hope to manage this? 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/feb/23/child-cost-inflation
Quite frankly all this talk of child benefit, or any benefit for that matter, makes me wonder how people survived in the "old" days - but survive they did, even although large families were the norm, and they bloody well worked hard to earn money.  My Dad and his brothers went into the family business from the age of 12.  Also people spent within their means because they had no other option.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 12:54 AM »

Were you chased up for this, or were you being honest?  A measly £10 whilst the fat cats get fatter!

We contacted them to let them know we were leaving the country.  We were advised to phone just before we left as our benefit would stop the moment we told them.

We then received a bill in our forwarded mail for the overpayment Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 01:04 AM »

My understanding of the history of Child Benefit was that it was paid, post war, to encourage people to have children to help shore up the depleted population.  As this is no longer a requirement, Child Benefit should be scrapped, IMO, thereby saving £6.7 billion.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20 AM »

Quite frankly all this talk of child benefit, or any benefit for that matter, makes me wonder how people survived in the "old" days - but survive they did, even although large families were the norm, and they bloody well worked hard to earn money.  My Dad and his brothers went into the family business from the age of 12.  Also people spent within their means because they had no other option.

I think the problem is that some people don't want to just 'survive'.  They want a big house, 2 cars and fancy holidays.  They want plasma TVs and designer clothes.  They just don't want to get off their backsides and work for those things.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »