Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Benefits and financial support 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Benefits and financial support

(Read 8575 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #495 on: November 09, 2011, 06:48 AM »

Some kids do go hungry, prog on TV a couple of months ago, shocking. Of course it's parents being poor, at  bottom of the pile, making bad life choices etc , but it's still the kids who suffer.  
As for obesity, that's a combination of many factors like aggressive marketing, poor education, a whole generation that seems to have forgotten how to cook etc.
However, even as someone who is aware of all the issues and who actually likes  fruit and vegetables, I still find myself eyeing covetously the cakes and pastries in the bakers' shops. Why is food that so appeals to our taste buds so horribly bad for us? T'aint fair!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #496 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50 PM »

I was a home carer for 12 years and have some elderly people having to decide wether to have a meal or put the heating on. Most elderly people do not know what benefits they are entitled to. It would not be the first time I went to the DSS office to get forms for them to claim benefits they were entitled to. Yes some people do get away with fraud but when this government starts cutting benefits for those who are poor,elderly or sick it makes my blood boil. The fat cats eg bankers and those in the financial industries are the ones this government should be looking at. Stop all those massive bonuses to them for a start. That is why people feel this government is not paying attention to them. It is time for them to stop all the unfairness in this society.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #497 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01 AM »

But the help is there LB.    I don't know what the answer is if people won't accept what is available.     I have a neighbour who is on a state pension with no other income but she gets some kind of top-up and help with her rent and rates and to my knowledge has never been either cold or hungry.    Having said that I heard
on the radio just about an hour or so ago that GB has one of the biggest gaps between rich and poor in the whole of Europe.    Only Bulgaria, Rumania and I think places like Estonia and Lithuania are ahead of us.   Not an enviable record.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #498 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15 AM »

Iluvandy, check out child poverty figures. Appalling when Thatcher left office. Getting better under Labour, now set to get much worse. That's shocking.
Littlebuddha, totally agree.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #499 on: November 10, 2011, 11:17 AM »

But the gap between rich and poor in this country got bigger under Labour.    In my book they are
all rubbish - just some are more rubbishy than others.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #500 on: November 10, 2011, 11:23 AM »

If they can get rid of all the benefit thieves and sort out the non doms and the bankers, there'll be more money to give to the people who need it!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #501 on: November 10, 2011, 12:46 PM »

But the gap between rich and poor in this country got bigger under Labour.    In my book they are
all rubbish - just some are more rubbishy than others.
Sadly I agree with you Frown 
Also agree with Caz.....but such a big "if."
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #502 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25 PM »

It's a dream.   I don't understand why the politicians aren't interested because it's what the majority want.   I think they occupy a parallel universe.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #503 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36 AM »

British 'workers' have the wrong attitude

'One wretched soul told me he couldn’t work on Friday nights or Saturday mornings because he would be out with friends on Friday evenings and hung-over on Saturday morning! And they expect me to reward their commitment with a job?'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062504/Meet-British-bosses-say-Give-foreign-workers-time.html#ixzz1dwwtRoBK
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #504 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57 AM »

wtf  

I must admit that I don't work any more hours than I have to - I get paid to work 40 hours a week and that's what I do.  I've seen too many colleagues get sh*t on that work extra and are not rewarded - quite the opposite sometimes!  I meet all my deadlines in my hours, therefore don't see the need to work any more than I have to.

I see that are awful youth unemployment figures out this week too.  I guess that my kids are very lucky that they all have part-time jobs here and during holidays (school/uni) that are able to increase there hours.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #505 on: November 17, 2011, 12:38 PM »

Unemployment sucks!! Okay I've got the added problem of my back to consider when applying but I've applying for at least 10 jobs a week and not even had an interview in months Frown The jobs that I can do I don't have the work experience to get and the jobs I can do generally require lifting and stuff I can't manage.
Though have been informed that because I'm in the 16-24 bracket I can go through the jobcentre now to get some work experience to give something up to date on my CV
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #506 on: November 17, 2011, 01:08 PM »

Does that mean ALL British workers have the wrong attitude because one wretched soul couldn't work Friday or Saturday.   How can anyone give an ounce of credence to an article like that?   I didn't bother to follow the link as I don't like anyone trying to brainwash me.    Will there be another article perhaps on "British workers prefer foreign bosses"?   i won't hold my breath.    i believe Norwegian workers for instance are very well treated.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #507 on: November 17, 2011, 04:56 PM »

There goes "The Daily Rant" again.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #508 on: November 17, 2011, 10:21 PM »

There are no jobs for the young. They try and try and keep sending CV's. It is soul destroying. This government should be employing the young for work in the community. At least they will get paid and feel they are doing something worthwhile. Then they can take their money without having to feel they are getting it for nothing. Instead of being called dole scroungers.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #509 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35 AM »

LB......The kids who send their CVs because they 'want' a job are NOT called 'dole scroungers'!! It's the ones like Nigel mentioned above who are dole scroungers! I wonder if he'd have been so fussy about Friday nights and Saturday mornings if he had 'NO' dole money!  In fact, it makes me wonder what money he's using to go out and get drunk on a Friday night!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »