Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Benefits and financial support 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Benefits and financial support

(Read 9960 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #525 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41 PM »

Never again say anything about people on benefits :P

My claim got sorted for ESA this week and got about 2 months in arrears yay finally out of overdraft Smile
I need to work out if I should claim anything else- don't want to take advantage but could probably do with the aid of Disability after over 2 years of chronic back pain.

2 years? Wow, that must have been a £10,000 or so lump sum.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #526 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51 PM »

2 years? Wow, that must have been a £10,000 or so lump sum.

I wish lol Nah this was me putting in a new claim for ESA after being on jobseekers for the last year till they said that I wasn't fit enough to work which should be helpful when it comes to the medical Smile

Just worked out I've recieved about £4,600 in the last 2 years between jobseekers and ESA
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #527 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01 PM »

I was a home carer for 12 years and have some elderly people having to decide wether to have a meal or put the heating on. Most elderly people do not know what benefits they are entitled to. It would not be the first time I went to the DSS office to get forms for them to claim benefits they were entitled to. Yes some people do get away with fraud but when this government starts cutting benefits for those who are poor,elderly or sick it makes my blood boil. The fat cats eg bankers and those in the financial industries are the ones this government should be looking at. Stop all those massive bonuses to them for a start. That is why people feel this government is not paying attention to them. It is time for them to stop all the unfairness in this society.

Hi All,

The issue with some elderly people is pride as well as a lack of information about what they are entitled to claim. The benefits system, by it's very nature, is intrusive and difficult, and a lot of elderly people don't want their private business, such as their finances, being looked in to by complete strangers, so they miss out.

I'm on benefits because of being unable to work. I look all right apart my obvious disability, but due to my care needs there is no way I could hold down a full time job, not without being carried and treated differently by an employer, which I wouldn't want. Part time work simply wouldn't pay me enough to manage on, so really I'm in a benefits trap, which I don't like, because anyone on benefits does tend to be seen as a scrounger, even if that isn't the case.

I know I can hold my hands up and say that I'm not claiming a penny that I'm not entitled to. I merely live within my means by not drinking too much, not smoking and not going out every night, but also by putting a little by each month when I can manage it so that I can afford things I need, and a few things I want. I'm lucky in the respect that I'm on my own though, I'm not trying to feed children etc, on my income.

The thing with the benefits system really is that the goverment has lost all moral authority. How can they deal with benefit fraud (which makes it so much harder for genuine claimants) when it is a well known fact that MP's fiddled their expenses for so long, and could very well still be doing it in some cases? The words 'pot' and 'kettle' spring to mind.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #528 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21998784

So apparently I did the 'wrong thing' by having an undiagnosed nerve problem that means I'm in constant pain, can't use my right arm fully, and pass out every 5-7 days on average. How dare people choose to have health issues that mean they can't continue to line the pockets of the fat cats!

Oh and IDS has said he'd manage to live on £53 a week if he had to- www.Change.org website have a petition to make him put his money where his mouth is.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #529 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Aren't the Tories trying to change the culture/mindset of those who are able to work, and choose not to?

I seriously doubt Osborne is criticising those who are unable to work due to illness/medical reasons.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #530 on: April 02, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Aren't the Tories trying to change the culture/mindset of those who are able to work, and choose not to?

I seriously doubt Osborne is criticising those who are unable to work due to illness/medical reasons.

They may have the best intentions, but they are inevitably going to screw over those who genuinely can't work.

I'm trying to get myself into a position where I'm extremely well-qualified and can pick and choose jobs based on what I can and can't do. It's partly why I've been giving sports writing a go again, on Bleacher Report.

Ultimately, I'd prefer to use my degrees, but I need a flexible work schedule. Strict 9-5 is out of the question for me.

I'd guess Hazel is in an even worse position than me. My medical problems are as much related to issues that are a by-product of my arthritis. I don't deal with constant pain anymore.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #531 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01 PM »

The problem with many of the folks on the right is that they simply can't relate to debilitating medical issues. It's in some ways similar to those who don't understand depression. There's an "oh just suck it up" mentality that is a product of pure ignorance.

They pay lip service to people who genuinely can't work, but I get the impression that they generally don't mean it. It would be a massive shock to the system if someone like IDS could borrow my health issues just to experience what I deal with.

Fixing the benefits system requires a surgical strike, not the atomic bomb the conservatives have decided to drop.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #532 on: April 02, 2013, 02:20 PM »

The problem with many of the folks on the right is that they simply can't relate to debilitating medical issues. It's in some ways similar to those who don't understand depression. There's an "oh just suck it up" mentality that is a product of pure ignorance.

They pay lip service to people who genuinely can't work, but I get the impression that they generally don't mean it. It would be a massive shock to the system if someone like IDS could borrow my health issues just to experience what I deal with.

Fixing the benefits system requires a surgical strike, not the atomic bomb the conservatives have decided to drop.

Yeah this is it. Pretty much everyone on benefits is getting hit from all sides, and yeah there are those who could manage but when in many cases you're going to see people with their housing benefits reduced (even if the reason for the spare room is for a carer that's needed), their income capped and the little additional reductions removed then it adds up to a big cut in their money.

I live at home because I couldn't live on my own currently and there's no way I'd get the benefits to give me additional support if I had my own place. All I get is my ESA because my parents support me and there's no way I'd get extra money to give them money towards all they do to physically help me, and even then my tribunal in 13 days is likely to end in them telling me that based upon the medical in August, that I'm not eligible for the benefits. And I can't present the evidence of my blackouts because they started in November. So the government is going to go through the cost of a tribunal to probably tell me no, for me to then re-apply with the evidence of my worsened condition, going through all the costs another claim brings...how does that make sense?

There isn't a circle of hell painful enough for Osbourne and IDS for the rhetoric being used which lumps all claimants of benefits together and labels us all as a burden and liars who are just too lazy to work.
It's almost the Victorian rhetoric of 'heaven helps those who help themselves' but nowadays without the 'heaven'. Meanwhile they give tax breaks to the people who fund the Tory party and turn a blind eye to their use of tax havens while giving lip service to change.

The money being cut out of the benefits budget with these changes is so small (within the big picture of billions) to make much difference, and without the job market for many to actually find employment that pays enough to support them they will be forced to remain on these capped benefits that push them further into poverty and will raise the level of frustration, helplessness and depression within those dependent on benefits.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #533 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28 PM »

The Government is made up of millionaires who do not have a clue about how to survive on benefits. They have set up all those new rules about housing benefit. In Scotland it is called the bedroom tax. For a start people cannot move to smaller houses because there are not enough single room houses. So if you are in the same house that you brought up your family in you are going to have your housing benefit slashed. You are then going to be homeless and this crap government are going to put you in temporary housing which will cost money and no benefit will happen. It is like the poll tax in Scotland, they have made a big mistake people in Scotland remember and the Tories will never get seat in Scotland. Next year it will be the referendum for many in Scotland this is the last straw, they are now saying that Rosyth will be used to take all the nuclear subs and remove all the nuclear waste. Scotland is being used as a dumping ground.The Nimbys in England must be very pleased.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #534 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37 PM »

Hold up guys. I want to hear what Nigel has to say about this first.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #535 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37 PM »

I have to agree! I heard the other day that around 900,000 people, roughly a third of those on disability benefits, 'refused to take the medical'! Could this be true?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #536 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52 PM »

I have a friend who went for this SO CALLED MEDICAL it is a farce. His bones are all fused he can walk but not far, he can sit for half a hour maximum  and takes very strong pain killers. Those medicals are being done by a company called Atos are a farce the government are paying them more than they would save from benefits. To treat people who are genuine ill like this is criminal. This government are showing their true colours. More money for the well of whilst the poor are left to get on with it.Perhaps Caz people already know about the Atos medicals and feel they are not being treated fairly. Many go to Citizens Advice for help. Guess what this wonderful government are closing them because they do not have enough money to pay for them. Leaving no options for them to fight loss of benefit decisions.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #537 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54 PM »

People have received sickness benefits/DLA for years and years without even needing to be routinely tested. They signed off on the sick in 1986 and have been raking it in every since.

But I don't want to get involved in this argument.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #538 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01 PM »

People have received sickness benefits/DLA for years and years without even needing to be routinely tested. They signed off on the sick in 1986 and have been raking it in every since.

But I don't want to get involved in this argument.

Get involved. I want to hear the other side of the argument.

Like I said, there's a difference between fine-tuning the system to deal with fraudulent claims and dropping an atomic bomb on the system, and treating legitimate claimants as collateral damage.

It's not perfect, but I'd rather 1000 people take advantage of the system than have 1000 genuine claimants get screwed over.

It reminds of a quote related to capital punishment: "It is better and more satisfactory to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to put a single innocent one to death."

An extreme comparison, but I'm sure you get the point being made.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Benefits and financial support « Reply #539 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01 PM »

Ah, here he is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »