Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Bible discussion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Bible discussion thread

(Read 11397 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #390 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05 PM »

It's a shame that to have a relationship with him, we are required to worship him. I don't feel comfortable with that idea at all.

No we're to have a relationship with Him and because of the love He has for us we're then inspired to worship Him because of all the awesome things He has done. I don't feel obligated to worship God. I just want to because He has given me everything Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #391 on: March 29, 2011, 04:06 PM »

No we're to have a relationship with Him and because of the love He has for us we're then inspired to worship Him because of all the awesome things He has done. I don't feel obligated to worship God. I just want to because He has given me everything Smile
That's a nice way of putting it but God does not merely accept worship, it's a requirement.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #392 on: March 29, 2011, 04:07 PM »

I don't feel obligated to worship God. I just want to because He has given me everything Smile

... including a bad back, no money, no job, etc ...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #393 on: March 29, 2011, 04:08 PM »

... including a bad back, no money, no job, etc ...
Daisy, be careful not to wonder into baiting territory.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #394 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10 PM »

Daisy, be careful not to wonder into baiting territory.

Mark, that's not baiting ... that's a fact.  Hazel says God has given her everything ... that obviously includes the bad back, the lack of money and the lack of a job.  After all, everything is everything, isn't it?  If it is not actually everything, then that should be qualified.

However, if you feel my comments (what about freedom of speech) are baiting Hazel then I'm more than happy to leave this thread to you and Hazel.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #395 on: March 29, 2011, 04:12 PM »

That's a nice way of putting it but God does not merely accept worship rather than have it as a requirement.

Which comes back to why that is a 'requirement'. Okay back the theory that God made us and made us to be in relationship with Him. Suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine that God is perfect, and loves us perfectly and completely.

If God's love is the best love and makes you complete then you want to have it.

God knows that for us to be completely happy then we need to have Him in our lives...because He is the only one that makes us whole. But he gave us the right and will to choose that for ourselves.

God's 'requirement' to love Him is then more in line of a parent saying 'do this because it's good for you.' He requires us to love him because we were made for that and accepting His love and loving Him will make us complete.

Okay you can 'unsuspend' your disbelief
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #396 on: March 29, 2011, 04:14 PM »

Mark, that's not baiting ... that's a fact.  Hazel says God has given her everything ... that obviously includes the bad back, the lack of money and the lack of a job.  After all, everything is everything, isn't it?  If it is not actually everything, then that should be qualified.

However, if you feel my comments (what about freedom of speech) are baiting Hazel then I'm more than happy to leave this thread to you and Hazel.
You can bait by stating facts, it's all about how they are expressed and their timing that decides the likely interpretation of them.
[ Last edit by Mark March 29, 2011, 04:18 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #397 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15 PM »

Mark, that's not baiting ... that's a fact.  Hazel says God has given her everything ... that obviously includes the bad back, the lack of money and the lack of a job.  After all, everything is everything, isn't it?  If it is not actually everything, then that should be qualified.

I never said that being a Christian would make me healthy, rich or successful. But God does give me the strength to keep going and the knowledge that even in the darkest times God is with me and has a plan for me, even though I may not understand why I'm in certain circumstances at the time.

IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #398 on: March 29, 2011, 04:18 PM »

You can bait by stating fact, it's all about how they are expressed and their timing that decides the likely interpretation of them.

I'll have to remember this ...  Whistle  Be sure I'll be asking for a ruling at some point down the line.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #399 on: March 29, 2011, 04:19 PM »

God's 'requirement' to love Him is then more in line of a parent saying 'do this because it's good for you.' He requires us to love him because we were made for that and accepting His love and loving Him will make us complete.
If that were the case, wouldn't it be better for him to simply suggest it and then allow us to compare how we feel when we do and don't worship him? If what you're saying is true, everyone would then choose to worship and thus there would be absolutely no need for there to be a requirement.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #400 on: March 29, 2011, 04:25 PM »

I do admire your faith, Hazel. hug Mine would definitely have been worn thin after what you've been through, that's for sure. Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #401 on: March 29, 2011, 04:26 PM »

If that were the case, wouldn't it be better for him to simply suggest it and then allow us to compare how we feel when we do and don't worship him? If what you're saying is true, everyone would then choose to worhship and thus there would be absolutely no need for there to be a requirement.

Smile I see you're point and I don't know the answers really, for that I'd have to be God Smile Again in the context of the passage, the entire nation of Israel has just left enslavement in Egypt and are trekking through the desert. They want to know how they should live and God provides this as the basis for how they are to live.
I also know that while God doesn't change and human nature doesn't change, culture and society do.

Ah ha, here, just did a bit of googling to refresh my memory Smile

'The word command, as well as commandment, is used to translate the Hebrew word mits'vah but does not properly convey the meaning of mits'vah. The word command implies words of force or power as a General commands his troops. The word mits'vah is better understood as a directive. To see the picture painted by this word it is helpful to look at a related word, tsiyon meaning a desert or a landmark. The Ancient Hebrews were a nomadic people who traveled the deserts in search of green pastures for their flocks. A nomad uses the various rivers, mountains, rock outcroppings, etc as landmarks to give them their direction. The verb form of mits'vah is tsavah meaning to direct one on a journey. The mits'vah of the Bible are not commands, or rules and regulations, they are directives or landmarks that we look for to guide us. The word tsiyon meaning landmark is also the word translated as Zion, the mountain of God but, not just a mountain, it is the landmark.'
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #402 on: March 29, 2011, 04:30 PM »

I do admire your faith, Hazel. hug Mine would definitely have been worn thin after what you've been through, that's for sure. Smile

Thank you hug To be honest, there's times, especially in the last year when the only thing stopping me from giving in and visiting the Forth Rd bridge has been that I know what I will find after death lol That's when God draws closest and gives me strength. It doesn't mean I don't get annoyed and frustrated, I'm not a patient person and I want to know what he wants me to be doing and get started. However, as I've already seen in my life, it may not make sense at the time but when you look back in hindsight it's easy to see how Gods hand was in the situation and how you ended up where you are Very Happy
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #403 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47 PM »

I think our feelings have little to do with it.When we praise and worship God,we are infact saying .we trust Him for the outcome of our lives no matter what we see .Feeling are so fleeting .God wants something more than that.The word believe goes much deeper than we think and means more like Trust.Hazel is saying i think that depite her situation,health,financial etc she trusts God for her life and the outcome.
Keep on keeping on ..Hazel.

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #404 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49 PM »

I think our feelings have little to do with it.When we praise and worship God,we are infact saying .we trust Him for the outcome of our lives no matter what we see .Feeling are so fleeting .God wants something more than that.The word believe goes much deeper than we think and means more like Trust.Hazel is saying i think that depite her situation,health,financial etc she trusts God for her life and the outcome.
Keep on keeping on ..Hazel.

Yep yes

hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »