Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Bible discussion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Bible discussion thread

(Read 9585 times)
Philip
Seed

Bible discussion thread « on: June 30, 2010, 10:17 PM »

I am starting this Bible discussion to allow anyone who is interested in discussing the scripture and how it can be used to enhance our lives, in terms of more joy and success in all areas of our lives.

It would be great if people who post in this thread can share anecdotes of how they or someone’s life they know have been positively influenced by the scripture, so that anyone who reads can benefit from the enriching experience.

Thank you very much in advance for your contribution.
[ Last edit by Mark August 23, 2010, 03:01 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:18 PM »

I would like to start with these verses

Mark 11
23  For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

24   Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

In my mind, the key word here is believe.  This has been proven many times in the placebo effect where the patient in his trust of the Doctor’s expertise, believe that the sugar pill is effective.  From this strong belief in his mind, his body is guided to produce the healing that he expects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Coming back to the relevant topic at hand Wimbledon.  Andy has often said that home advantage helps in football matches and when one is playing in front of the home crowd at Wimbledon.  Both Tim and Andy have gained inspiration and belief from the fervent support that the massive crowd gives them.  Notice how Andy arouses the crowd support to raise his inner belief at an important points to maximise his ability.  

Did you feel the atmosphere, the Belief and support, the Will as One when 15,000 people cheered Andy on at the crucial second set tie break today when Andy was 5-4 down but then won 3 points in a row, winning two points against the big Tsonga serve.   Didn’t that atmosphere give you goosebumps ?  It is often said that the crowd support at a home football match becomes like the 12th man.

This has helped Tim to achieve 4 SF at Wimbledon and Andy has been consistently improving his result at Wimbledon year upon year and he is again at the SF stage, matching last year’s tremendous performance and on the threshold on greatness and historic achievement.

My Conclusion :  There is tremendous power in Belief and Expectation of positive things to come, which draws and attracts those things into your life.

Here is wishing Andy to greater Belief in his genius ability and to achieve unparallel success on and off the tennis court.  Andy - you are a winner  trophy
[ Last edit by Philip July 01, 2010, 08:45 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21 PM »

Deuteronomy 23:1 ESV

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25 PM »

I am impressed Mark with your knowledge of the scripture Smile ! I didn't know this one !!!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:36 PM »

I also like the gory bits,

Judges 3:19-25 ESV

And Ehud reached with his left hand, took the sword from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly. And the hilt also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not pull the sword out of his belly; and the dung came out.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39 AM »

LUCAS WILL BE PUNISHED FOR HIS SINS!

Eastenders. 1st July 2010. BBC
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:15 PM »

Jeremiah 29

A Letter to the Exiles

1 This is the text of the letter that the prophet Jeremiah sent from Jerusalem to the surviving elders among the exiles and to the priests, the prophets and all the other people Nebuchadnezzar had carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon.
2 (This was after King Jehoiachin [a] and the queen mother, the court officials and the leaders of Judah and Jerusalem, the craftsmen and the artisans had gone into exile from Jerusalem.)
3 He entrusted the letter to Elasah son of Shaphan and to Gemariah son of Hilkiah, whom Zedekiah king of Judah sent to King Nebuchadnezzar in Babylon. It said:
 4 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon:
5 "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce.
6 Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease.
7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."
8 Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have.
9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD.

10 This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."

I love this passage. Verse eleven has often been a great comfort and encouragement to me, especially when viewed in context of this passage. The people of Israel have been taken prisoner and exiled to Babylon, the cream of Israel's people are cut off and in a foreign land under their captors.

Yet it is in this situation that the Lord tells them that he has plans to prosper them and has a great future in mind for them. In the middle of what might seem a hopeless situation, God promises that he is with them and their end will not be in Babylon, he promises them their own land again, descendants and riches.

In context, it is in this situation that we come across Daniel, the man who was thrown into a pit of lions for praying to God and not worshipping the king. Yet he found himself raised to be one of the most powerful and closest advisor's to the king. From a point of despair he was raised up to prominence, authority and wealth, because he remained loyal to God and the Lord had a plan for him.

In the same way today God continues to promise his people that he has a plan, and no matter what trials we go through now, no matter how low our situation seems to be, He promises hope and a future. This future is not just for this life now, in the same way God promised to bring the Israelites back to Jerusalem, he promises his followers today that he will bring them home, to their spiritual home with him for eternity. yay
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:17 PM »

Exodus 4:24-25 NASB

Now it came about at the lodging place on the way that the LORD met him and sought to put him to death. Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin and threw it at Moses’ feet, and she said, “You are indeed a bridegroom of blood to me.”
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:33 PM »

Mark, how are you finding this stuff? lol
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:51 PM »

http://www.nobeliefs.com/DarkBible/darkbible4.htm  ?   
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:53 PM »

I've never been Christened and I've been fairly sinful in my adulthood - exactly how screwed am I meant to be in this relgious world? lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 04:23 PM »

I've never been Christened and I've been fairly sinful in my adulthood - exactly how screwed am I meant to be in this relgious world? lol

There aren't levels of 'sinners' Amy Smile Honestly 'all of us have sinned and fall short of Gods glory' However, if you choose to trust and follow him then he views us through 'Christ-tinted glasses' and views us as pure and holy in his sight Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31 PM »

Mark, how are you finding this stuff? lol
google
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Psalm 27

Of David.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
       whom shall I fear?
       The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
       of whom shall I be afraid?
 2 When evil men advance against me
       to devour my flesh,
       when my enemies and my foes attack me,
       they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
       my heart will not fear;
       though war break out against me,
       even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
       this is what I seek:
       that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
       all the days of my life,
       to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
       and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
       he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
       he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
       and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
       above the enemies who surround me;
       at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
       I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
       be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
       Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
       do not turn your servant away in anger;
       you have been my helper.
       Do not reject me or forsake me,
       O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
       the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
       lead me in a straight path
       because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
       for false witnesses rise up against me,
       breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
       I will see the goodness of the LORD
       in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
       be strong and take heart
       and wait for the LORD.

I love the Psalms. There's so many times when I can't think how to word my worship my praise or my requests of God. The Psalms always seem to hold the answer. In all circumstances the psalmists call out and are aware of God's majesty and absolute authority and power.

As it says in Psalm 8v1 'Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!'
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Bible Discussion thread « Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20 PM »

One thing I can say for sure is that the Old Testament for me comes over so much better in the original Hebrew.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »