Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Bible discussion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Bible discussion thread

(Read 11464 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #405 on: March 29, 2011, 04:56 PM »

I think our feelings have little to do with it.When we praise and worship God,we are infact saying .we trust Him for the outcome of our lives no matter what we see .Feeling are so fleeting .God wants something more than that.The word believe goes much deeper than we think and means more like Trust.Hazel is saying i think that depite her situation,health,financial etc she trusts God for her life and the outcome.
Keep on keeping on ..Hazel.

I do not have the gift of faith iamabritt, but I think your sentiment is beautifully expressed.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #406 on: March 29, 2011, 05:09 PM »

Daisy,it only has to be the size of a mustard seed. jesus takes us where we are.if we go one step forward He will go much more.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #407 on: March 29, 2011, 05:11 PM »

Daisy,it only has to be the size of a mustard seed. jesus takes us where we are.if we go one step forward He will go much more.

I understand what you're saying ... but it's not there for me.  But, I do have several devout friends and can see what it means to them.  Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #408 on: March 29, 2011, 06:38 PM »

The difference being that this is Old Testament, where God was working down through his 'chosen people' to the coming of Christ, after which there would be no need for animal sacrifices etc.
And King David wrote this at a time when he was seized by the Philistines.

As we've said before, we're not going to agree and you're not going to listen to explanations of OT and NT and that God is a God of justice and love, and I don't expect you to. However, while not restricted to just a single topic, it would be nice if occasionally the Christian's on this site could share things with each other for encouragement and the joy of sharing without getting shot down in flames.

That's why I posted this here, if you don't like it don't read it. I'm not being nasty or mean but just truthful, if you see I've posted on this thread you can be fairly sure it's not something you'll agree with, and if you know your not going to like it then avoid being annoyed by it and avoid it Shrug There's threads I don't read for the same reason Smile

Hazel, I'm perfectly willing to listen to anyone's explanations or theories about the Bible and religion, provided they are offered by people whose view of Christianity isn't the product of tunnel vision, which yours appears to be.  The chorus of a children's hymn comes to mind -

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so

I don't think I need to say any more.

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #409 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Hazel, I'm perfectly willing to listen to anyone's explanations or theories about the Bible and religion, provided they are offered by people whose view of Christianity isn't the product of tunnel vision, which yours appears to be.  The chorus of a children's hymn comes to mind -

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so

I don't think I need to say any more.

Sorry just clarifying. Are you using the chorus as a sign of my tunnel vision or of what you think? confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #410 on: March 29, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Put it another way - "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king".  Slavishly believing everything the Bible tells us, as you so obviously do, doesn't automatically make anyone a Christian.  I've known many people who consider themselves to be Christians, and I wouldn't disagree with them, but who freely admit to questioning a lot of things which are stated in Bible, particularly the OT.

Hazel, what do you think they teach divinity students?  I've known two, one C of S and the other Anglican, who both went on to become ordained ministers/priests.  They were taught to question, question and question again the teachings of the Bible before being allowed anywhere near a pulpit.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #411 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39 PM »

Put it another way - "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king".  Slavishly believing everything the Bible tells us, as you so obviously do, doesn't automatically make anyone a Christian.  I've known many people who consider themselves to be Christians, and I wouldn't disagree with them, but who freely admit to questioning a lot of things which are stated in Bible, particularly the OT.

Hazel, what do you think they teach divinity students?  I've known two, one C of S and the other Anglican, who both went on to become ordained ministers/priests.  They were taught to question, question and question again the teachings of the Bible before being allowed anywhere near a pulpit.

I do question and I don't just slavishly follow. I'm not saying I have all the answers but I don't just believe because I've been told to. I left home and went to uni, if I'd wanted to walk away from the Church and God then I'd have done it. I ask questions and get them answered, some things still aren't clear and some things don't really seem to matter because I trust God Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #412 on: March 29, 2011, 11:52 PM »

I do question and I don't just slavishly follow. I'm not saying I have all the answers but I don't just believe because I've been told to. I left home and went to uni, if I'd wanted to walk away from the Church and God then I'd have done it. I ask questions and get them answered, some things still aren't clear and some things don't really seem to matter because I trust God Shrug
You could have fooled me, Hazel, the way you keep posting chunks of the Bible both on here and on the Religious Discussions thread, but then I know which particular faith you follow so it doesn't surprise me.  I actually enjoy discussions about religion, but being faced with these sort of posts is a huge turn-off, and I suspect the same might apply to some other members of MW.

Also I fail to see the connection here with you going to uni, other than to lord your supposedly superior qualitifications and knowledge over other members of this forum.  That kind of condescension doesn't go down too well either, least of all with me.   I could have gone to uni but chose not too because academic studying didn't interest me, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a perfectly good brain.  Intellect doesn't always equal intelligence.

[ Last edit by Aileen March 30, 2011, 12:24 AM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #413 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05 AM »

You could have fooled me, Hazel, the way you keep posting chunks of the Bible both on here and on the Religious Discussions thread, but then I know which particular faith you follow so it doesn't surprise me.  I actually enjoy discussions about religion, but being faced with these sort of posts is a huge turn-off, and I suspect the same might apply to some other members of MW.

Also I fail to see the connection here with you going to uni, other than to lord your supposedly superior qualitifications and knowledge over other members of this forum.  That kind of condescension doesn't go down too well either, least of all with me.   I could have gone to uni but chose not too because academic studying didn't interest me, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a perfectly good brain.  Intellect doesn't always equal intelligence.

At least you've admitted that you ask questions, but it seems to me that if you don't understand or like the answers, then that's OK because God is always there as a convenient refuge.

I posted the first recent thing on here because it was from a sermon and I was sharing it. The other passages seemed to respond to comments and be appropriate.

As for the university...the point was I moved out of my parents house and was living my own life making my own choices, if I'd just been going out of habit or for them then that's when I would have changed that part of my life. It had NOTHING to do with me thinking I'm more intelligent than you and I'm sad that you would think I would suggest something like that.

As I've said before, I accept your viewpoint and am fine with it. Let me enjoy my faith as well. The times when I've brought out scripture have mainly been because I want to share with other Christian's on the site, and my comments alongside those passages have made that clear. All others have been in response to questions asked of me where I have explained what I believe and why in the best way I know how, using God's word. I'm sorry if that upsets or annoys you but trying to re-write the Bible rather than quote something that describes exactly what I believe seems  a bit pointless to me.

*Also for the most part and I generally try to remember not to, I don't quote scripture apart from on the Religion or Bible discussion threads where it seems appropriate given the titles. If any members of other faiths want to post passages from their holy writings then that is also fine.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #414 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35 AM »

I posted the first recent thing on here because it was from a sermon and I was sharing it. The other passages seemed to respond to comments and be appropriate.

As for the university...the point was I moved out of my parents house and was living my own life making my own choices, if I'd just been going out of habit or for them then that's when I would have changed that part of my life. It had NOTHING to do with me thinking I'm more intelligent than you and I'm sad that you would think I would suggest something like that.

As I've said before, I accept your viewpoint and am fine with it. Let me enjoy my faith as well. The times when I've brought out scripture have mainly been because I want to share with other Christian's on the site, and my comments alongside those passages have made that clear. All others have been in response to questions asked of me where I have explained what I believe and why in the best way I know how, using God's word. I'm sorry if that upsets or annoys you but trying to re-write the Bible rather than quote something that describes exactly what I believe seems  a bit pointless to me.

*Also for the most part and I generally try to remember not to, I don't quote scripture apart from on the Religion or Bible discussion threads where it seems appropriate given the titles. If any members of other faiths want to post passages from their holy writings then that is also fine.
Hazel, I've said before and I'll say it again - if your trust in this supposedly omnipresent but never seen deity gives you courage, comfort and strength, then so be it, but please don't try to push it down everyone's throats.  To me, it's extremely important in life to have trust in somebody - even just one person - and I'm very lucky to have that trust in a fellow flesh-and-blood human being who has failings and strengths just like the rest of us, not the all-powerful, demanding, judgemental God of the Bible to whom I simply cannot relate.  I can, however, relate to Jesus Christ because I have no doubt that there was indeed such a person, and I have tried to live my life, so far as it is possible for me to do so, in accordance with his teachings.

And yes, I would be very happy to have some input from members of other faiths, whether monotheistic or polytheistic, which was why I welcomed OldScotSupport on the Religious Discussion thread, and I've no objection to hearing the views of atheists and agnostics.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #415 on: March 30, 2011, 07:04 AM »

I'm sorry, I hardly post on here, but I think Aileen has been extremely unfair to Hazel in this thread. And by the way, I'm not a Christian...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #416 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27 PM »

I'm sorry, I hardly post on here, but I think Aileen has been extremely unfair to Hazel in this thread. And by the way, I'm not a Christian...
Hazel, I think Yamor has the hots for you!!

Yamor (aka Secret Squirrel) you're always defending this damsel in distress!! 

I need to hear of a romance in the making.  It'd do my heart good!  yes
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #417 on: March 30, 2011, 06:37 PM »

lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #418 on: March 30, 2011, 07:06 PM »

Hazel, I think Yamor has the hots for you!!

Yamor (aka Secret Squirrel) you're always defending this damsel in distress!! 

I need to hear of a romance in the making.  It'd do my heart good!  yes

lol Not another one Rolling Eyes Think my boyfriend might start to get worried at the number of guys who act as my white knights on here lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #419 on: March 30, 2011, 07:07 PM »

lol Not another one Rolling Eyes Think my boyfriend might start to get worried at the number of guys who act as my white knights on here lol
tender
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »