Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Bible discussion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Bible discussion thread

(Read 10157 times)
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #420 on: March 30, 2011, 07:08 PM »

tender

OMFG you not been stabbed by psycho girl yet?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #421 on: March 30, 2011, 07:22 PM »

lol Not another one Rolling Eyes Think my boyfriend might start to get worried at the number of guys who act as my white knights on here lol
lol  Wink
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #422 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54 PM »

OMFG you not been stabbed by psycho girl yet?

* 1301083375843.jpg (39.36 KB, 450x338 - viewed 432 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #423 on: March 31, 2011, 03:01 AM »

I'm sorry, I hardly post on here, but I think Aileen has been extremely unfair to Hazel in this thread. And by the way, I'm not a Christian...
So I've been 'unfair' to Hazel on this thread?  Well, well.  Do I not have the same  right to express my opinions on here as she has?  If people can't take the heat then they shouldn't come on threads like this.  Also if it's of any comfort to you as Hazel's knight in shining armour, Hazel and I later settled our differences very amicably by PM.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #424 on: March 31, 2011, 08:58 AM »

Your posts just came across as very combative and disrespectful. And I do realise that Hazel can take it perfectly well anyway.

But, by the way, if you look at the OP, you will see the intention of the thread opener was more for portions of the Bible to be discussed, not a general religious discussion for which there's a separate thread. That's not to say you can't post your opinions here, but you certainly shouldn't dismiss what she writes, when that's the intention of the thread.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #425 on: March 31, 2011, 11:16 AM »

I am starting this Bible discussion to allow anyone who is interested in discussing the scripture and how it can be used to enhance our lives, in terms of more joy and success in all areas of our lives.

It would be great if people who post in this thread can share anecdotes of how they or someone’s life they know have been positively influenced by the scripture, so that anyone who reads can benefit from the enriching experience.

Thank you very much in advance for your contribution.

I miss Philip!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #426 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39 PM »

My minister put this up today in church, I thought I would share as we celebrate the beginning of Holy week and Jesus entrance into Jerusalem Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWCaXXKcHWE&feature=player_embedded#at=29
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #427 on: April 17, 2011, 03:47 PM »

Incredibly gay but admittedly very creative to the extent that I watched until the end.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #428 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48 PM »

Incredibly gay but admittedly very creative to the extent that I watched until the end.

Yeah it was well done Smile Glad it caught you enough that you watch it lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #429 on: April 18, 2011, 03:30 AM »

My minister put this up today in church, I thought I would share as we celebrate the beginning of Holy week and Jesus entrance into Jerusalem Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWCaXXKcHWE&feature=player_embedded#at=29
Very clever.  Music has a slightly hypnotic effect, which is pretty clever too.  Sufficiently impressed to watch it twice. yes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #430 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58 PM »

For fellow believers Smile

Matthew 27 The Death of Jesus

From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).
When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.”

Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.”

And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”

Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs. 56 Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of Zebedee’s sons.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #431 on: April 24, 2011, 03:20 PM »

He is Risen! yay

Happy Easter, especially to my brothers and sisters in Christ Smile
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #432 on: April 24, 2011, 03:35 PM »

Thank you Hazel. every year at Easter they show the movie The Ten Commandments.I had forgotten what a great cast the had .Yvonne De Carlo what a pretty women she was.who  can forget Charlton Heston parting the Red sea..
Hope you have all had a lovely Easter.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #433 on: June 24, 2011, 10:59 PM »

On Sunday I'm presenting a Bible to a girl from my Sunday school class who is headed to high school after the summer. I had to pick a verse and write it in that I thought would apply. Just having read what Tommy said on the Religious discussions thread made me feel that I should post it up, as it applies to all of us, and will hopefully be an encouragement to those of us on here that believe Smile

Proverbs 3:5-6

'Trust in the Lord with all you heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.'

Seemed to fit hug
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #434 on: July 20, 2011, 06:57 PM »

For those of you who don’t know, this is God’s second novel after the Old Testament. It’s a marked improvement, in my opinion. He got rid of a lot of his previous angst and scorn, and has really begun to show some of the maturity present in his later works. He’s become a much more loving and kind God, and, noticeably, he doesn’t throw nearly as many tantrums as he did in the first book. 

That said, there is still vast room for improvement. Plot wise, there isn’t really much suspense, and the story can be incredibly repetitive. In like four chapters, he just rewords the same basic story over and over again. To top that off, he puts those chapters one right after the other. Like we wouldn’t notice!

I picked this up because I heard it advertised as the Gospel, which translates to “good news.” It opens up by telling the reader how the human race is doomed because two poorly developed characters ate an apple that a snake told them to eat.That’s not good news.I can’t say I found much good news at all in this. It actually closes by telling us that the world is going to end, and how we should all be prepared.I would not recommend this book to others. It does not deliver on many of its advertised promises, and features weak characters and archaic diction.

. . . As well as that, the dialogue between characters is paper thin. Take the New Testament, when Mary finds out she’s pregnant. She tells Joseph that she’s been knocked up by an angel, and he just flat out believes her! Not even a “hold on sista, we’re going on Maury” – he just takes it at face value! How are any of us meant to believe that? Honestly, I swear some of the scripting was done by a monkey with a typewriter. Take this gem from 2 Samuel: 

”Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die.” 

I mean, who speaks like that? Honestly! And as if the dialogue wasn’t bad enough, the whole tone is preachy and moralising, rather than engaging and well written.

After that there are some very depressing poems and some prose which is equally depressing. There is a VERY sensual book called Song of Solomon. He is basically describing the minutiae of his lover’s body (female, presumably; although possibly a man with gynecomastia and a tight rear) and talking about secksing her up really good, and there’s like a massage to completion and it’s very disturbing. Not an easy read, felt like I was reading smut when I pulled it out in public (probably shouldn’t have been touching myself in public anyway, but come on; bible readers, back me up on this!).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »