Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Bible discussion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Down Reply
Author

Bible discussion thread

(Read 9625 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #465 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18 PM »

I'm sure Mark meant no harm in his posts Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #466 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19 PM »

My only intent is to give the whole picture otherwise this thread would simply be one cherry picked side.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #467 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20 PM »

No - he didn't - but I think Hazel needs a little TLC right now...
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #468 on: March 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »

My only intent to give the whole picture otherwise this thread would simply be one cherry picked side.

Post of the year. Its ok to 'bend' the rules sometimes, or discussions would be pointless or boring.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #469 on: March 04, 2013, 10:42 PM »

My only intent is to give the whole picture otherwise this thread would simply be one cherry picked side.

The only reason it seems 'cherry picked' is because that was a verse that stuck out as helpdul to me. I'm not posting to try and lull people into christianity- I was posting for my own sake.

And I'd point out that if I didn't post my side sometimes then the picture would be very much 'cherry picked' from your perspective which partly comes from your obvious issues with your families faith. So please don't act like I'm the only one that just presents one side of the argument!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #470 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47 PM »

I was referring to the topic as a whole, not your current contribution. I was not meaning to accuse you of anything.

If this thread is only posted in by Christians, then naturally only the positive verses will be posted. It's basically unconscious cherry picking. I therefore post the more controversial verses for balance as there are plenty and it makes sense to post them as this is about Bible discussion, not Bible promotion.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #471 on: March 04, 2013, 11:06 PM »

Well it comes across as deliberately aggressive whenever anyone posts anything that is positive and encouraging to other Christians you almost immediately post back without seeming to take into consideration why we are posting certain verses. and since it's been fairly obvious that my last few references have been brought about through me either being down about my situation or grieving for a friend then it hasn't been particularly appreciated.
Sorry Mark but the way you've posted hasn't been about promoting bible discussion- it's come across as antagonistic whether you meant it or not and it's been pissing me off but I've been holding my tongue because I knew what you're answer would be.

There's a difference between bringing balance and just posting random verses that you don't care about because you think it proves a point.
All it really does is prove that however much you say that you approach atheism and you're view of the Bible is because your view is rational, scientific, and liberated from the narrow-mindedness that you view Christians as prescribing to. In reality it just seems to reveal your frustration and continued angst about your families faith and the way you were raised and your reaction to that. So you're responding emotionally Mark- not just from your nice secure and black and white 'rational' world.

And yes I probably am sounding horrible but I posted something that really spoke to me today when yesterday I was very close to ending everything. It wasn't a discussion starter and your response had nothing to do with the verses I posted- so I don't really give a damn.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #472 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20 PM »

I am truly sorry for the pain you are going through right now.

In regards to the points you mention, I'm a little baffled as to why you referenced my family? I don't care in the slightest that they are Christian. I want them to find their own way and be happy with their choice. I actually have some fun liberal discussions with them over their beliefs.

I can understand posting immediately after yours might be irritating. I'll wait next time. The fact is, where you proudly express your love for your God, I firmly believe that the Bible demonstrates a fairly unpleasant God. Or at the very least one that is lacking honour and having a questionable moral compass. Showing the darker perspective is actually important to me as having a Christian upbringing has caused me mild psychological damage. So you say I post from emotion and that may be partly true but at least then we're both posting from a source of passion and emotion.
[ Last edit by Mark March 04, 2013, 11:44 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #473 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11 PM »

And yes I probably am sounding horrible but I posted something that really spoke to me today when yesterday I was very close to ending everything.
no hug

Haze.. you know I'm ex-religious. Our home is like the United Nations of Religion (one ex-Catholic, one Christian, one non-believer, and two Muslims.)

I'm so sorry you are feeling so desperate, and wanted to post this prayer for you in case you don't know it. You don't have to be Catholic to recite it, and I often see thanks for it in newspapers.
Worth a try?
Keep your head up. hug

St. Jude’s Novena

“May the Sacred Heart of Jesus
 be Adored, Glorified, Loved & Preserved
 through-out the world, now & forever.
 Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us.
 Saint Jude, Worker of miracles, pray for us.
 Saint Jude, Helper of the Hopeless, pray for us.”

Say the prayer 8 times a day for 9 days.
 It has never been known to fail.
 Publication must be promised.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #474 on: March 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »

I am truly sorry for the pain you are going through right now.

In regards to the points you mention, I'm a little baffled as to why you referenced my family? I don't care in the slightest that they are Christian. I want them to find their own way and be happy with their choice. I actually have some fun liberal discussions with them over their beliefs.

I can understand posting immediately after yours might be irritating. I'll wait next time. The fact is, where you proudly express your love for your God, I firmly believe that the Bible demonstrates a fairly unpleasant God. Or at the very least one that is lacking honour and having a questionable moral compass. Showing the darker perspective is actually important to me as having a Christian upbringing has caused me mild psychological damage. So you say I post from emotion and that may be partly true but at least then we're both posting from a source of passion and emotion.

You know, I am never really sure about your complete take on God, religion and your own belief system - especially the latter.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #475 on: March 20, 2013, 06:37 PM »

"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Luke 19:27
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #476 on: March 20, 2013, 07:29 PM »

27“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Luke 6:27-31
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #477 on: March 20, 2013, 07:32 PM »

Kill your enemies and then love your enemies. It didn't take us long to stumble across one of the hundreds of contradictions in the Bible Very Happy
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #478 on: March 20, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Kill/Love same difference
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Bible discussion thread « Reply #479 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35 PM »

And Hazel, please don't post a quote of an opposing perspective straight after mine - that's just trolling Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »