Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?  (Read 7610 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #360 on: July 27, 2011, 08:22 PM »

Our prices are so high due to taxes and lack of production. Petrol is 9p per litre in Venezuela. Oil is just like any other commodity in that market forces impact upon its price. Julia does Economics so she could explain it much better.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #361 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30 PM »

Our prices are so high due to taxes and lack of production. Petrol is 9p per litre in Venezuela. Oil is just like any other commodity in that market forces impact upon its price. Julia does Economics so she could explain it much better.
I can understand the economics re production and currency rates what I cannot understand is the price of petrol at the pumps allowed to be so high when there are these sort of profits.  Western Australia pump prices reflect the barrel price within 24 hours its a pity the same system cannot be adopted here.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #362 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24 AM »

Nothing will be done about petrol prices. The goverment take a big portion of tax from petrol if they reduced this they would say they are short of money. We are TO.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #363 on: July 28, 2011, 10:33 AM »

This country's a joke....we are falling behind the rest of Europe.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #364 on: July 28, 2011, 06:19 PM »

We don't make anything any more and we can't compete with other countries that heavily invest in their manufacturing industries. We must reinvent ourselves, but how?
Did u all know that in the US they force prisoners to make stuff?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #365 on: July 28, 2011, 09:05 PM »

I agree all our manufacturing industry has all but gone. We are lucky to have a few steelworks,shipyards and car factories. There are few jobs now and it can take months to get one.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #366 on: July 28, 2011, 09:49 PM »

We don't make anything any more and we can't compete with other countries that heavily invest in their manufacturing industries. We must reinvent ourselves, but how?
Sorry, BBH - I don't quite get the connection ... Think

Britain will get nowhere financially as long as the government, of whatever colour, stops handing out billions in overseas aid (which often ends up in the wrong hands) and rescuing countries who get into a financial mess with loans that have little or no chance of ever being repaid.  We should take care of ourselves first.

It would also help if there was a serious clampdown on asylum seekers.  One potential asylum seeker recently interviewed on TV summed it all up - when asked why he wanted to come to Britain, said "Because there everything is free".  Quite.  Time "soft touch Britain" stopped handing out benefits and free non-emergency NHS treatment to these people and being so queasy about deporting them, which should be done as quickly as possible.

Finally - get the hell out of the EU!    

IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #367 on: July 28, 2011, 10:07 PM »

The stuff they make are licence plates.nothing to really help our pathetic economy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #368 on: July 29, 2011, 06:31 AM »

iamabritt, is that all? Program I saw suggested much more.
Aileen, because they don't pay prisoners a fair (!) wage it can be sold far cheaper on open market.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #369 on: July 29, 2011, 07:24 AM »

Sorry, BBH - I don't quite get the connection ... Think

Britain will get nowhere financially as long as the government, of whatever colour, stops handing out billions in overseas aid (which often ends up in the wrong hands) and rescuing countries who get into a financial mess with loans that have little or no chance of ever being repaid.  We should take care of ourselves first.

It would also help if there was a serious clampdown on asylum seekers.  One potential asylum seeker recently interviewed on TV summed it all up - when asked why he wanted to come to Britain, said "Because there everything is free".  Quite.  Time "soft touch Britain" stopped handing out benefits and free non-emergency NHS treatment to these people and being so queasy about deporting them, which should be done as quickly as possible.

Finally - get the hell out of the EU!     

Good post Aileen and I agree with everything except the aid to Africa! I don't begrudge those poor people one penny of that! Not one penny! It does annoy me that the other African countries, some of whom are 'oil rich', are not helping though! I believe our Government are doing their best to ensure that the money is reaching the people who need it, though I also think that a more permanent solution to these problems needs to be found, but in the meantime, I would not want to live in a country that was willing to sit back and watch those people die and do nothing!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #370 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37 AM »

Most of the aid we give is going to CORRUP governments, it never gets near to the people who need it.

It is also used to buy weapons instead of food, or water projects which are needed to plant crops.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #371 on: July 29, 2011, 11:57 AM »

I think we'll do better this time!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #372 on: December 13, 2011, 03:54 AM »

An important time at which to resurrect this thread again I think.

EU VETO: CAMERON SAYS HE NEGOTIATED IN 'GOOD FAITH'

David Cameron has said he "genuinely looked to reach an agreement" at the EU summit but vetoed treaty change because it was not in the national interest.

Mr Cameron told MPs he negotiated in "good faith" and his demands were "modest, reasonable and relevant".

The prime minister said he used the veto as he did not secure "sufficient safeguards" on financial regulation.

His pro-European Deputy PM Nick Clegg, decided not to take his usual place alongside the PM in the Commons.

Labour leader Ed Miliband questioned why Mr Clegg was not in the Commons, saying the PM could "not even persuade" his deputy of the merits of his actions.

'National interest'

The statement began with Labour MPs shouting "where's Clegg" - and later during the statement Tory backbencher Nadine Dorries accused the Lib Dem leader of "cowardice" while a succession of Labour MPs asked the PM if he knew where Mr Clegg was.

After the Commons statement Mr Clegg told reporters that everyone knew he and prime minister disagreed on the outcome of the summit: "I would have been a distraction if I was there."

He added: "Being isolated as one is potentially bad for jobs, bad for growth, bad for the livelihoods of millions of people in this country, but the coalition government is here to stay."

Full article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16134496

Any thoughts on Nick Clegg's behaviour and his assurance that, despite the disagreement between himself and the PM on what is a very divisive and important issue, "the coalition government is here to stay"?  Or any opinions about David Cameron's actions at the EU Summit?

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #373 on: December 13, 2011, 09:25 AM »

I signed up to join 'the common market' and no more! I 'DO NOT' want the UK being dictated to by Brussels! I think David Cameron done absolutely the right thing by not 'signing away' any more of our rights! I think it's a disgrace that 'cowardly Clegg' stayed away from the House yesterday!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #374 on: December 13, 2011, 11:13 AM »

When we had the referendum on whether or not to join the EU it was a very different animal to the one we have now.  I, like you Caz, did not sign up to what we now have and millions of younger Britons have never had the chance to have a say on what our stance should be in Europe.

I don't see that Cameron could have done anything else quite honestly.  There were cries of 'dangerous isolation' when we opted not to join the Euro - it didn't happen - and thank god that we are not in. 

Clegg, IMO has lost all credibility - having spoken in support of Cameron on Friday he has now done a complete Uturn.  Although having said that the outcome of the talks was 'disappointing and dangerous', I don't think he has anywhere actually denounced Cameron.  He can't afford to - having sold his soul to be in govenment he now finds that he has alienated the majority of his party and followers.   He knows full well that if the coalition was to collapse and there was a general election tomorrow the liberal vote would be virtually wiped out.

It will be interesting to watch the outcome of all of this. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »