Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?

(Read 9706 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « on: May 18, 2010, 07:08 AM »

2010 is a year which will stand out in the history of British politics.  For the first time since 1945, two parties have come together to form a coalition government, so it's an innovation for most people.  However, whether this coalition will be a success or failure remains to be seen, and many will be watching developments with interest.  It has already caused controversy and no doubt will continue to do so for some time to come.

The Election Thread has died, but given the importance of the Election's aftermath, MW members are invited to submit news articles or to comment or debate on how they think this government is performing, certainly over its first few weeks.  Serious, cynical or humorous - all contributions are welcome. Smile

I voted Lib Dem, partly because my constituency was a two-horse race with Labour (who took the seat by a margin of only 316 votes) and partly because I hoped that, if there was a hung parliament, they would form an alliance with the Tories.  Not only does Britain badly need some new blood at Westminster after thirteen years of ineffectual Labour government, but I feel it's right that the Lib Dems (last in power nearly a century ago as the Liberals) should have a chance to show the country what they can do, albeit in a coalition with another party.

[ Last edit by Mark May 18, 2010, 09:54 PM ] IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:55 AM »

Welcome to Westminster: A new MP's crib sheet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8687642.stm
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:56 AM »

Good thread, Aileen.  I suspect it will draw answers in the months to come...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:13 PM »

To early to answer the thread's question but for now this is a good place to document news stories involving issues within the coalition.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:15 PM »

Definitely far too early to even attempt to fashion an answer to this now. I vote Lib Dem...but mainly because I knew I was voting in a safe Labour ward...
IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:26 PM »

Too soon to answer this question, the country definitely could not take another General Election, so in one sense it has already succeeded. How long it will last,
who knows but no doubt it will face troubles ahead. Let’s wait and see. I know
of several Lib. Dem. Supports, who have left the party and if this trickle becomes
a flood, then things could get very interesting.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29 PM »

^ The Lib Dems have shot themselves in the foot.  Of that, there is no doubt.  They've lost their credibility, as a Party.
IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41 PM »

You could be correct Elly, I heard one pundit say that that there was no way back for Nick Clegg and he would stand at the next election as a Conservative.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44 PM »

You could be correct Elly, I heard one pundit say that that there was no way back for Nick Clegg and he would stand at the next election as a Conservative.
I'd like to think that the Politicians stand also, as people.  However, hard to reconcile the right, left wing thing.  I dunno.  Just seems mighty strange, and with a huge personal bent.  I may eat my words, but for now, this is what I think.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt-success or failure? « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40 PM »

To early to answer the thread's question but for now this is a good place to document news stories involving issues within the coalition.

Definitely far too early to even attempt to fashion an answer to this now. I vote Lib Dem...but mainly because I knew I was voting in a safe Labour ward...
Obviously it's too early to form any conclusions about the success or otherwise of this Coalition - perhaps I should have made that clearer - but I was hoping that news articles or comments on the handling of various issues would be posted here over the coming weeks.

Rather than change the thread's title, I've added news articles to my opening statement and highlighted the relevant section.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 18, 2010, 09:51 PM ] IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57 PM »

I have already commented on the early taxes being levied by this coalition;

1   keep labours ‘job tax’ but only for the workers not for the employers (Tory)
2   increase in VAT, a tax on the low paid (Tory)
3   increase in Capital gains tax (to 40%), on sale of second homes used for         rental purposes and then resale, when the market picks up (speculation). 
     ( (not Tory)

So two rotten taxes and one really good one, not the best start.
IP Logged
Yorkshire lad

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28 AM »

The opening statement of this thread seems clear enough to me.  True, nobody can judge any government until it has been in office for a while, yet in certain quarters this coalition has already been written off, with some rubbishing it even before it was officially formed.  The Tories and the Lib Dems are certainly odd bedfellows but they should be given a fair chance to see if the alliance will work.  The main concern for me, however, is how the two parties are going to reconcile their policy differences.  Cameron and Clegg are currently falling over themselves to please each other, but how far will this buddyism last once the honeymoon period is over, especially when discontent amongst the rank and file MPs starts causing divisions within both parties?

I say all this as a Labour supporter of over 30 years but who has since 1997 gradually become more and more disillusioned with the way "New" Labour has performed.  PM Tony Blair had good leadership qualities but was a highly devious individual who was more interested in foreign affairs than he was in domestic issues.  The way he acted before handing over power to Gordon Brown was a farce, particularly as Brown was always going to be a weak PM and Blair knew it but got out before the **** really hit the fan.  In three years Brown and his government succeeded in bringing an already crumbling country to its knees both morally and financially.

I can only hope that Messrs Cameron and Clegg can give Britain a future to look forward to.   

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13 AM »

Welcome to Westminster: A new MP's crib sheet
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8687642.stm
lol

Seriously, why are people still assuming this coalition will last for five years?  I thought these proposed reforms still had to go through parliament - or have I missed something?

Interesting that the parties have got round the first possible bone of contention between them - the review of the UK's Human Rights Act - by conveniently passing it on to a yet-to-be-created Commission.   When things could get sticky - set up a committee or a commission.  Wonder how many more we'll see.

Think it's absolutely disgraceful though that these two terror suspects aren't being deported in case they get badly treated when they get to their own country.  What the heck is British justice coming to?  I hope that if and when the Human Rights Act is repealed or amended, this government gets far tougher on terrorists and criminals than its predecessor did.     
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 04:49 PM »

Obviously it's too early to form any conclusions about the success or otherwise of this Coalition - perhaps I should have made that clearer - but I was hoping that news articles or comments on the handling of various issues would be posted here over the coming weeks.

Rather than change the thread's title, I've added news articles to my opening statement and highlighted the relevant section.
  Super thread, Aileen. I voted Conservative and I'm hoping very much that this alliance works, bringing hopefully the best of both these parties onto the statute book. It will be a very interesting time. I so nearly voted Lib Dem but there were just a few things I wasn't sure about. Perhaps the coalition will bring about better relations between Scots and English folk, a better way of voting for true representation, a real breath of fresh air for everyone.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 04:58 PM »

Ed Balls and John McDonnell join Labour leadership contest

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/19/ed-balls-john-mcdonnell-labour-leadership-contest
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »