Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?

(Read 8179 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM »

Tory voters have been sold down the river.
Agreed, Cameron was just desperate to get in power and seriously sold out. I don't blame him, it's just not fair.
IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36 AM »

Tory voters have been sold down the river. There never was a Conservative option at this election. The disgraceful decision to back down on replacing the Human Rights Act has proved that.
I won’t always agree with Grabcopy but I agree we need to get out of this E.U. Human Rights act. I am sure it was introduced for the best possible reasons but
that’s not how it’s being used. A lot of public sector workers (maybe as many as 750,000) are set to lose their jobs, you won’t here about their right to work and earn a living to support their families. An old woman will be attacked in her home, you. won’t here about her rights or indeed the rights of victims of crime at any time.
The lawyers have found a way of making money from the public purse using this discredited piece of legislation to protect the ‘rights’ of criminals, to prevent them being locked up, where they belong or to prevent the country removing foreign nationals who have no real right to be here and indeed some may pose a genuine threat to public safety. I really believe this legislation is a licence for lawyers to rob the public purse, while often defending the phoney rights of the most undeserving section of society.
On DNA profiles, they are no different from fingerprints and few individuals commit serious crime as a fist act, most have history of petty crime and if the police feel they need the DNA to retain these profiles, to help them catch them, what is the issue?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58 AM »

Good lad, Asimov. We were the only member state to swallow this ridiculous legislation hook, line and sinker.

Can't see a problem with DNA profiles either - there's a load of hoohah about searching innocent people's profiles. Well so what? They're innocent, aren't they? Therefore, they have nothing to hide.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 12:50 PM »

Good lad, Asimov. We were the only member state to swallow this ridiculous legislation hook, line and sinker.
Which government? - Labour.  Which PM? - Blair.  Both have a hell of a lot to answer for.  If this Act isn't replaced by this Coalition, then it'll be seen as a massive failure.  It must be the worst piece of legislation ever to hit the statute books.

A man attacks a burglar stealing from his house in order to protect his personal property.  The burglar suffers injury, so the householder is arrested on charges of assault and is sentenced to a long prison term.   Meanwhile the burglar gets off with a much lesser prison sentence and starts squealing about his human rights, and demands, and very often receives, compensation for their perceived breach; not forgetting, of course, his human rights to be treated with respect in one of HM's luxury hotels.

And don't get me started on Children's Rights .....  

That Act, along with our feeble immigration laws, make Britain the laughing stock of Europe.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 20, 2010, 01:00 PM ] IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Which government? - Labour.  Which PM? - Blair.  Both have a hell of a lot to answer for.  If this Act isn't replaced by this Coalition, then it'll be seen as a massive failure.  It must be the worst piece of legislation ever to hit the statute books.

A man attacks a burglar stealing from his house in order to protect his personal property.  The burglar suffers injury, so the householder is arrested on charges of assault and is sentenced to a long prison term.   Meanwhile the burglar gets off with a much lesser prison sentence and starts squealing about his human rights, and demands, and very often receives, compensation for their perceived breach; not forgetting, of course, his human rights to be treated with respect in one of HM's luxury hotels.

And don't get me started on Children's Rights ..... 

That Act, along with our feeble immigration laws, make Britain the laughing stock of Europe.

Well done Aileen/Grabcopy, you are both right but I honestly don’t see that anything will get done about these issues. I said before the election, we will be here at the next election still complaining about the same things. In the very unlikely event that we are not, then it will be ‘hats off’ to the coalition. I won’t hold my breath though!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 09:23 PM »

I think they at least deserve to be given a chance and not judged on their first week. From the speeches today it would seem their plans could produce some kind of Utopia and we will have to wait and see what actually comes to pass. I don't doubt their sincerety at the moment, it's too early - let's see just what they can bring about. I have heard them talk about correcting the law which wrongly convicts a man defending his home and some of the other things you have mentioned. The finances they also dealt with. I did listen to all the speeches which began at about 9.30 this morning - Good Luck to them is what I say - it would be wonderful if they could bring at least some of these things about. From the West Country's point of view we are already hearing about abandonment of the hated plans for centralised fire fighting plans which Labor spent so much money on, including the construction of a building to house it which has stood unoccupied for 2 years while plans were in the stages of completion, of a scientific and controlled cullof sick badgers to help towards the eradication of TB in cattle before a vaccination programe in years to come. Plus the eradication of the unnecessesary and costly business of making the city of Exeter an independent unit. These things come into force now, not tomorrow, next week or next year - things are already happening - give them time - I live in hopes.
IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18 PM »

I think they at least deserve to be given a chance and not judged on their first week.  - give them time - I live in hopes.

So does Nick Clegg; did you hear him say "we are short of money but high on ambition". Rhetoric doesn’t cost much, unfortunately action does.   

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12 AM »

I think they at least deserve to be given a chance and not judged on their first week. From the speeches today it would seem their plans could produce some kind of Utopia and we will have to wait and see what actually comes to pass. I don't doubt their sincerety at the moment, it's too early - let's see just what they can bring about. I have heard them talk about correcting the law which wrongly convicts a man defending his home and some of the other things you have mentioned. The finances they also dealt with. I did listen to all the speeches which began at about 9.30 this morning - Good Luck to them is what I say - it would be wonderful if they could bring at least some of these things about. From the West Country's point of view we are already hearing about abandonment of the hated plans for centralised fire fighting plans which Labor spent so much money on, including the construction of a building to house it which has stood unoccupied for 2 years while plans were in the stages of completion, of a scientific and controlled cullof sick badgers to help towards the eradication of TB in cattle before a vaccination programe in years to come. Plus the eradication of the unnecessesary and costly business of making the city of Exeter an independent unit. These things come into force now, not tomorrow, next week or next year - things are already happening - give them time - I live in hopes.
No government can be judged on its first week, and this thread was intended to follow the Coalition's progress over the coming weeks and months, not only from the point of view of what they do for the country but also on how well the two parties interact with each other.  I think it's fascinating.

Also, I have to say - and even a week ago I never dreamed I would say it - I'm starting to warm towards David Cameron but going off Nick Clegg a little.  Since Cameron got his coveted prize of PM, albeit with huge strings attached, he's become a lot less intense and a bit more human.

Reckon most governments promise Utopia, but having waded through 32 pages on Ceefax of the Coalition's plans, I think this lot would have to be in power for a very long time if they had any hope of delivering everthing they've promised.  A political expert I listened to recently said that any government will only succeed in delivering about 20-30% of their promises during the average parliamentary term, so that's food for thought.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 05:16 PM »

I have never before been so fascinated with politics - quite apart from being impressed that at least two west country problems have been dealt with so quickly. Everything that is happening is so different to what normally happens - co-operation between parties has to be novel and there are a great many compromises which must be made if all is going to work. This of course brings in the disapproval of those who are not prepared to 'water down' or compromise on the party policies anyway. Wait and see seems to be the byword!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 03:07 AM »

^ Me neither Jan.  The whole thing is so innovative, especially to those of us who've always been used to one-party government, except, of course, those who are really old enough to remember the WWII All-Party Coalition, that that's why I started this thread.

The Coalition could never work unless compromises were made - and that really is what a lot of politics boils down to.  My concern, however, is that these compromises will cause divisions in both parties which could seriously destabilise the whole set-up.  The respective party hot-heads must somehow be kept in check by Messrs Cameron and Clegg, and that could be very interesting.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 22, 2010, 03:16 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 05:09 PM »

The only problem I can see about this new coalition, is that it is being run by politicians! Rolling Eyes

If Nick Clegg had any scruples, he would have let the Tories run a minority government, which would have caused another election within 6 months and he could have put forward the proposal for true PR, saying that first past the post doesn't work...instead he choose the route of personal power! A total sell out for true Liberal aspirations.

It doesn't surprise me though.  Clegg is on the right of his party - a classical liberal who thinks the state should play less of a role.  So he and Cameron have a lot in common and seem abit like soul mates.  The big question will be whether they'll be able to maintain the loyalty of the right of the Conservative Party and the social democrats in the liberal party. 
Thanks for starting the thread Aileen - it will also be interesting to see what happens with the Labour Party leadership election. 
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 05:35 PM »

^ Me neither Jan.  The whole thing is so innovative, especially to those of us who've always been used to one-party government, except, of course, those who are really old enough to remember the WWII All-Party Coalition, that that's why I started this thread.

The Coalition could never work unless compromises were made - and that really is what a lot of politics boils down to.  My concern, however, is that these compromises will cause divisions in both parties which could seriously destabilise the whole set-up.  The respective party hot-heads must somehow be kept in check by Messrs Cameron and Clegg, and that could be very interesting.
Yes that's what I meant by my last sentence and it does make success ten times more difficult.
IP Logged
asimov
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 12:12 AM »

Isn't a fact though, that all three major parties are themselves bruoad coalitions. A clear indication of this was when the gang of four broke away from Labour and formed the Social Democrats. In a sense we have always been ruled by coalitions, though usually not made up of two parties.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 01:25 AM »

..... it will also be interesting to see what happens with the Labour Party leadership election.  
Extremely interesting, because whoever is chosen is going to have the very difficult job of restoring not only the party's belief in itself but also the electorate's confidence in that party.  This is why political observers believe they'll be in opposition for at least ten years, and I wouldn't argue with them.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 09:02 AM »

Analysis: the winners and losers in the Queen's Speech

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7753379/Analysis-the-winners-and-losers-in-the-Queens-Speech.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »