Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?  (Read 7574 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #375 on: December 13, 2011, 12:55 PM »

The idiots of the ultra right wing in this government have got what they wanted. I do not approve of many of the european union bills that have been passed. I do not approve however being totally isolated. Europe is were we belong, yet Cameron cow tows to the Americans. When will he see that we are a small insignificant island and in the way of things what we think is not relevant. The Tories only want to get rid of the working time directive and many of the health and safety laws. Also they want to get rid of the minimum wage. They want us to work for a pittance so they can live like the bankers who have broken this country. May I remind you of Scotland's link to Europe. I agree about the Euro but europe and uk have many important links.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #376 on: December 13, 2011, 05:20 PM »

IMO it is no more in Europe's interests to sideline the UK than it is in our interests to totally divorce ourselves from Europe.  It will be interesting to see where we are this time next year -my guess is that there will be very little difference in our relationship.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #377 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52 AM »

The idiots of the ultra right wing in this government have got what they wanted. I do not approve of many of the european union bills that have been passed. I do not approve however being totally isolated. Europe is were we belong, yet Cameron cow tows to the Americans. When will he see that we are a small insignificant island and in the way of things what we think is not relevant. The Tories only want to get rid of the working time directive and many of the health and safety laws. Also they want to get rid of the minimum wage. They want us to work for a pittance so they can live like the bankers who have broken this country. May I remind you of Scotland's link to Europe. I agree about the Euro but europe and uk have many important links.
I agree with most of what you say but disagree that Cameron kowtows to the Americans.  He has stood his own ground here too, unlike his predecessors Blair and Brown.  Blair spent his time cosying up to Bush's highly questionable foreign policies to the detriment of British domestic affairs in which he seemed to take little interest, whilst Brown flapped around like a headless chicken, thereby allowing America to continue dragging this country into a totally futile and expensive "war against terrorism" in Afghanistan.  Cameron at least is positive by being in agreement with Obama that combat troops should be withdrawn from that country over the next two years.  Also I believe that America is turning away from Europe towards China and the Far East in order to further its own commercial interests.  
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #378 on: December 14, 2011, 05:57 AM »

I agree Aileen, I also think US eyes are turning to new markets - particularly India and the Far East - they have little interest in squabbles in Europe   Interesting to read that Germany is now advocating that we all invest in Greek bonds - I don't think I'll be first in the queue!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #379 on: December 14, 2011, 06:59 AM »

Yes Alis, the Americans are turning to India and the Far East and that's what Britain, led by David Cameron will do too! We won't be out of the EU, but neither will we be ruled by Germany who tried and failed to rule us once before! I would suggest that anyone who wants to be ruled by Germany, should go and live there!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #380 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03 AM »

I agree with your post too Aileen, but it does leave me wondering whether you think David Cameron should have signed or not!  confused
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #381 on: December 14, 2011, 08:50 AM »

Yes Alis, the Americans are turning to India and the Far East and that's what Britain, led by David Cameron will do too! We won't be out of the EU, but neither will we be ruled by Germany who tried and failed to rule us once before! I would suggest that anyone who wants to be ruled by Germany, should go and live there!

The EU is not, and will not, be ruled by Germany. Ultimate power rests with the Council of Europe. Somethings have to be decided unanimously, other by qualified majority vote.  Germany, UK, France and Italy each have 29 votes. Spain and Poland have 27 and others according to their size down to four for Luxembourg and three for Malta. 

Cameron failed because he did not prepare for the meeting by explaining to others or even consulting with countries like Netherlands and Poland who usually support Britain.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #382 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Yes.....That's what Ed Milliband says!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #383 on: December 14, 2011, 09:38 AM »

...  and Milleband - when pressed - said he wouldn't have signed the treaty inb it's present form either!
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #384 on: December 14, 2011, 10:34 AM »

But Cameron gave in without trying,  No one has yet signed a treaty, its still being decided what to include!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #385 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56 AM »

Gave in to what exactly?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #386 on: December 14, 2011, 05:06 PM »

Cameron gave into the right wing of his party. They have wanted out of Europe since Thatcher joined the EU.
And yes he gave in without even trying. Next they will want to withdraw from the EU altogether. The document which was signed will not even take effect at the earliest until next year. There are to be more discussions about it. Already there have been murmmers of discontent about this fiscal union. The smaller countries and those out with the 17 need to have it ratified by their governments. So it will be some time before even discussions begin in earnest. The main thing is the state of the Euro until they can agree on a policy about that nothing will be done. The Germans do not want the European Bank to print money and the French do, so it will be a long time before the euro is stronger. In the meantime the market is going to decrease the euro and those countries like Spain,Italy,Portugal and Greece may default on their loans and will not be able to repay them. The Greeks in particular are the most likely to default and go back to the drachma. The ratings agency's are going to decrease a lot of those countries ratings downwards making it more difficult for them to borrow. Even Germany and France are at risk of this. So many things are in the air and it will be some time before any major decisions are made. In the meantime GB is still an EU member and still retains what it really wants. It wants the open market with europe without being a member of the euro currency.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #387 on: December 15, 2011, 03:19 AM »

I agree with your post too Aileen, but it does leave me wondering whether you think David Cameron should have signed or not!  confused
Sorry, I think I got a little side-tracked here.  David Cameron went up considerably in my estimation by having the guts to do what his predecessors failed to do, and that was to refuse to be bullied into signing anything he wasn't totally happy about because, so he claimed. he wanted to put Britain's interests first.

Interestingly on last night's BBC news it was reported that some of the 27 representatives who did sign are now having second thoughts because they've started wondering just exactly what they've signed up for!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #388 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00 AM »

Exactly right Aileen! I think they've already got far more power over our affairs than I'm comfortable with, and as far as saving the Euro is concerned, they haven't managed to agree on anything! It's a complete and utter shambles! I know you're not a big fan of David Cameron, but yes, he has got guts and I do believe he's doing his best to get this country back on it's feet, but let's face it.......He has a helluva job on his hands!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #389 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01 AM »

I don't think anyone has actually signed up to anything yet, have they?  Many of them went home to talk to their parliaments about the contract before they sign - some countries may even have to have a referendum.  Certainly, Sweden, Ireland and the Czeck Republic have all expressed concerns.  The last I heard was that nothing would be settled until March at the earliest.  Who knows what might happen before then?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »