Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?

(Read 9265 times)
Iris
ATP Level

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #405 on: December 17, 2011, 04:17 PM »

The ideology behind Thatchers policies was that Britain should be the financial sector of the world (big mistake) and that manufacturing should be scaled down (even bigger mistake).  Germany has managed to balance a good manufacturing base and financial sector and still managed to unify Germany.  I remember thinking when Margaret Thatcher proposed the global financial centre being in London that it was putting all the eggs in one basket and regrettably I'm being proven right.  Britain has developed and produced some world market goods in the past, Rolls Royce now BMW, Jaguar now part of India's car manufacturing industry, the harrier jump jet now made under licence in America, Dyson now being made in the far east and before anyone says it is because labour costs are cheaper in the far east, Germany does not have low labour costs.  With regard to Cameron's veto, he said it was to protect the City and the 1.3 millon jobs there, but what about the millons of jobs and exports he should have been safeguarding which are dependent on the Eu?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #406 on: December 17, 2011, 04:32 PM »

I agree with everything you say Iris up until the last sentence and I'm not exactly disagreeing with that either, but I don't think his idea is to save the one at the expense of the other! He will be round the negotiation table with the others when the time comes and I think his intention is to save as much as he can!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #407 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44 PM »

I agree with what you say Iris this country hardly manufactures anything these days. It is in countries that can produce articles more cheaply. You only have to look at labour costs in China and India and most of south east Asia. Companies it this country cannot compete and many of them need to be retooled. Cannot remember the company that wanted to make new railway carriges, the company had asked the government for a loan to be able to do this but was rejected. The order went overseas as it was cheaper. If the government is not going to help British industry. Labour cost are not the only point. Many companies in UK need to modernise and buy new machinery but with banks and the government unwilling to do do british industry is going down the tube. Soon everything will be imported if we don't watch out.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #408 on: December 18, 2011, 01:44 AM »

Well at least Sarkozy & Co can stop their sniping at Britain now because they have not, as they had feared, lost their AAA rating.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #409 on: December 19, 2011, 02:04 PM »

I agree with what you say Iris this country hardly manufactures anything these days. It is in countries that can produce articles more cheaply. You only have to look at labour costs in China and India and most of south east Asia. Companies it this country cannot compete and many of them need to be retooled. Cannot remember the company that wanted to make new railway carriges, the company had asked the government for a loan to be able to do this but was rejected. The order went overseas as it was cheaper. If the government is not going to help British industry. Labour cost are not the only point. Many companies in UK need to modernise and buy new machinery but with banks and the government unwilling to do do british industry is going down the tube. Soon everything will be imported if we don't watch out.

The train manufacturer was Bombardier.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #410 on: March 15, 2013, 02:26 AM »

With headlines like these one can only wonder how much longer this Coalition can continue -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/9915731/The-crumbling-Coalition-is-being-torn-apart-by-the-post-Budget-Public-Spending-Review.html

Coalition is torn apart: Cameron talks of hung Parliament as Miliband and Clegg form alliance in bid to shackle free press

* Cameron pulls the plug on cross-party talks over Leveson proposals
* Miliband and Clegg agree to 'work together' to force law through Parliament
* Labour and Lib Dems expected to table 'beefed-up' amendments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293585/Coalition-torn-apart-David-Cameron-talks-hung-Parliament-Ed-Miliband-Nick-Clegg-form-alliance-bid-shackle-free-press.html

God forbid anyway that the freedom of the press should be curbed by our politicians.  I'm not a lover of Cameron but I am with him all the way on this issue.  Some regulation is indeed needed but it should never be enforced by statute and thereby allowing the media to be state controlled.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #411 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50 PM »

I honestly think the Con/Lib Dems will split. You only have to look at Cameron who says the government will not use the Levinson Report on the regulation of the press. Tell me why they spent all that money on the Levenson report just to throw it out the window. They must have spent thousands on it what a waste, they are willing to charge people a bedroom tax if the bedrooms are not being used. This just shows how they think they do not give a dam about ordinary people. What did all those people whose phones had been hacked by the press go through if nothing is going to be done. Total rubbish it has to regulated and if they break the law they should go to prison and also fined a huge amount of money.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #412 on: March 15, 2013, 02:13 PM »

But Cameron hasn't thrown the Leveson Report out of the window.  That Report (which still isn't finished, by the way, because the Inquiry is still ongoing) merely stated that the press needed to have a degree of regulation, not that it should come under the sole control of parliament - and this is what Cameron is trying to do, i.e. keep the freedom of the press we've enjoyed for centuries but with raised ethical standards of practice.  What Clegg and Milliband have in mind is nothing short of the scary control-freakery of which there's already too much in this country.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #413 on: March 15, 2013, 04:15 PM »

I think the Lib Dems and Labour will vote against the proposals. I know I would if I had a vote Cameron wants to keep in the good books with the press eg the Murdoch's. I am sorry but I have little or no trust in the Conservatives. To think of all the families who have suffered because of the press which appears to be rotten to the core. I am sorry but I wouldn't give them house room.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #414 on: March 15, 2013, 05:46 PM »

So you're telling me that you want to have a state controlled press?  One where Big Brother Parliament dictates what is printed and what isn't?  Perhaps you should have a look around and see what happens in countries where freedom of the press is stifled.  Anyway only a handful of newspapers were caught up in this scandal, so why should the sensible majority have to suffer for the irresponsible minority?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #415 on: March 15, 2013, 05:59 PM »

I think this government are too cozy with the press. I want rules to be adhered to not some wishy washy make it up as we go along this has been tried before it doesn't work. They need something with some teeth but as far as I can see nothing is being done. Who said anything about a state controlled press ? the press need some clear direction that they can go so far and no further and this has to be stated in Law. If not then what was the point of spending all that money on Leveson for nothing to be done.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #416 on: March 15, 2013, 06:55 PM »

I think this government are too cozy with the press. I want rules to be adhered to not some wishy washy make it up as we go along this has been tried before it doesn't work. They need something with some teeth but as far as I can see nothing is being done. Who said anything about a state controlled press ? the press need some clear direction that they can go so far and no further and this has to be stated in Law. If not then what was the point of spending all that money on Leveson for nothing to be done.
Which is precisely what Cameron's proposed Royal Charter is establishing, i.e. "an independent body ... to oversee the system of press self-regulation which would provide 'the toughest regulation of the press that this country has ever seen'".
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #417 on: March 15, 2013, 07:23 PM »

It is the self-regulation bit I do not like. Needs some teeth that bite.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #418 on: March 15, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Can we execute Cameron and be done with these morons?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #419 on: March 18, 2013, 02:54 PM »

It is the self-regulation bit I do not like. Needs some teeth that bite.
Well a cross-party agreement has finally been reached, but unfortunately nobody seems to be very clear exactly what that is. Rolling Eyes  Cameron's got his Royal Charter, but the burning issue now is whether it should be enshrined by law or not, and will the newspapers sign up to it anyway?  Wonderful!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »