Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Down Reply
Author

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?

(Read 8691 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #420 on: March 18, 2013, 07:19 PM »

No it is not clear. It is about clear as mud. Cameron says he is happy with what has been agreed. The Lib Dems are not neither is the Labour party. I hope they stick to their guns and have some form of statutory regulation otherwise this Royal Charter is nothing but hot air.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #421 on: March 19, 2013, 04:08 PM »

But Cameron hasn't thrown the Leveson Report out of the window.  That Report (which still isn't finished, by the way, because the Inquiry is still ongoing) merely stated that the press needed to have a degree of regulation, not that it should come under the sole control of parliament - and this is what Cameron is trying to do, i.e. keep the freedom of the press we've enjoyed for centuries but with raised ethical standards of practice.  What Clegg and Milliband have in mind is nothing short of the scary control-freakery of which there's already too much in this country.
Exactly Aileen.......well said!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #422 on: March 19, 2013, 04:18 PM »

No it is not clear. It is about clear as mud. Cameron says he is happy with what has been agreed. The Lib Dems are not neither is the Labour party. I hope they stick to their guns and have some form of statutory regulation otherwise this Royal Charter is nothing but hot air.
LB, if we'd have had the kind of regulation of the press that Labour and Lib Dems want, we 'never would have heard' of the MP's expenses fiddle, to name but one! Is that what you 'really' want? A 'gagged' press? Then, what next......regulation of the internet? Just think about it!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #423 on: March 19, 2013, 04:40 PM »

No I do not want a gagged press as you say Caz but I do want some statutory regulations. Do you really think that the press will not cross over the line again ? I cannot understand after the Leveson enquiry all the recommendations being thrown out the window. People tend to forget all the damage that was done to ordinary people as far as I am concerned some regulation is required. The press will not be gagged but will be made responsible for their actions and perhaps they will not get away with intruding in people's private affairs.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #424 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36 PM »

No, of course you don't want a gagged press LB.....who would, but that's what you would be voting for if you had a vote!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #425 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06 PM »

I am sorry Caz I just cannot accept that. I am afraid we will just have to differ.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #426 on: March 19, 2013, 07:07 PM »

Wahhhhahahahhaaa stupid government.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #427 on: March 19, 2013, 07:08 PM »

I am sorry Caz I just cannot accept that. I am afraid we will just have to differ.
No, of course you don't want a gagged press LB.....who would, but that's what you would be voting for if you had a vote!
Freedom of speech on the Internet ....can't beat it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #428 on: March 19, 2013, 08:24 PM »

No I do not want a gagged press as you say Caz but I do want some statutory regulations. Do you really think that the press will not cross over the line again ? I cannot understand after the Leveson enquiry all the recommendations being thrown out the window. People tend to forget all the damage that was done to ordinary people as far as I am concerned some regulation is required. The press will not be gagged but will be made responsible for their actions and perhaps they will not get away with intruding in people's private affairs.
The bottom line is that most of the media will refuse to sign up to the Royal Charter, so you'd better get used to the idea of a free press - and on the subject of damage being done to other people, what about the damage Parliament did to the electorate by pulling the wool over our eyes over the subject of their expenses and other monetary fiddles, not to mention all the sex scandals and deceit?  Parliament has no integrity left, so they're the last people to start telling the media what they should or should not be doing.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #429 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32 PM »

It has no integrity at all. The majority are out to feather their nests and it does not matter what party they belong to. Can we trust the press the answer is a big NO the press and politicians scratch each others back they are corrupt as each other. I have little or no confidence in either one of them.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #430 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25 AM »

The press excesses are disgusting but surely the law, already in place, is there to deal with them. And has.
Am very, very wary of anything that tries to curb press freedom. Doubt if we'd have had the revelations about MP's expenses if the press was even slightly curbed.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #431 on: March 20, 2013, 03:18 PM »

If that is the case it should be strictly adhered to.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #432 on: March 20, 2013, 06:25 PM »

It has no integrity at all. The majority are out to feather their nests and it does not matter what party they belong to. Can we trust the press the answer is a big NO the press and politicians scratch each others back they are corrupt as each other. I have little or no confidence in either one of them.
Make up your mind, LB.  One minute you're demanding much stricter control of the press, which would come from parliament, and now you're saying that they're equally corrupt and that you have no confidence in either of them.  So what exactly do you want?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #433 on: March 20, 2013, 07:16 PM »

I want stricter control. However I do not have much trust in politicians they are saying they have agreed controls however I still have not heard anything about it Aileen. Both side keep saying it has been agreed then the other says it is not. They aught to make up their bloody minds if you are happy about it that is your opinion and not mine.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #434 on: March 20, 2013, 07:49 PM »

What I'm not happy about LB is the fact that the media itself have not been consulted in any of this, and neither are they.  It's all been tied up behind closed doors at No.10 by Cameron, Clegg and Milliband.  Where's the fairness in that?  No wonder so many of the media are threatening to form their own groups.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »