Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] Go Down Reply
Author

UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure?

(Read 8677 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #435 on: March 20, 2013, 07:50 PM »

The first thing any dictatorship does is curb the press.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #436 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08 PM »

If that's the case BBH it is time for the press to put their houses in order. They have got away with murder and not been punished for it. All we hear now is that it will be a voluntary agreement. If they interfere in people phone calls and hack into people's phones they should have the book thrown at them and I mean prison.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #437 on: April 02, 2013, 03:31 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/halting-immigration-would-cost-uk-18bn-in-five-years-8555344.html

Interesting...

Not sure exactly how accurate this is as it's the first I've heard about this, but still interesting.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #438 on: April 02, 2013, 04:02 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/halting-immigration-would-cost-uk-18bn-in-five-years-8555344.html

Interesting...

Not sure exactly how accurate this is as it's the first I've heard about this, but still interesting.

It says immigrants contribute more in tax than they take in benefits.   This could well be true but there are other costs e.g. to the NHS, Education, Housing, Policing etc.   No one says we shouldn't have immigrants - we should have the ones we need as other countries do.    Never trust statistics.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #439 on: April 02, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Yes try getting into Australia it can be difficult if you do not earn enough points. I took out Australian Citizenship when I lived there I went when I was 21 it is the best thing I ever did as it helped my husband to get in. My children were registered as Australian when small my husband took his citizenship when we had lived there two years. I have often said to my kids if things get worse they should go to Australia and have a good life. It is not just work opportunities but the way of life. Most Australians are pretty easy going and there is not the same class thing that we have in the UK. A more relaxed atmosphere and its not were you come from or what class you are as long as you are willing to work you will get on.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #440 on: September 17, 2013, 11:40 PM »

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0032/cbill_2013-20140032_en_2.htm#l1g1

Um, a proposed bill for national service? lololol
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #441 on: September 18, 2013, 12:10 AM »

That won't go ahead, some people want to avoid the army because they don't want to die.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #442 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50 AM »

That won't go ahead, some people want to avoid the army because they don't want to die.
This bill, which is a private member's bill, doesn't just involve the army Gangsta -

The proposed legislation - sponsored by Tory MP Philip Hollobone - would make it mandatory for anyone aged 18-26 to spend a year doing charity work, caring for the elderly or disabled or serving in the armed forces.

Individuals would be paid the minimum wage and would be required to live away from home although accommodation and food would be paid for by the state.

The bill aims to provide young people with "instruction in personal financial budgeting, household bills, nutrition, cooking, time keeping, life skills, tolerance towards others, treating elderly and disabled people with dignity and respect"

So far a petition against the Bill has attracted over 30,000 signatures.  However I don't think we need worry about it because -

Hollobone is sceptical of its chances of becoming law.

He said: "Unfortunately, the arcane nature of parliamentary procedures surrounding private member’s bills and the lack of time they have for debate will mean that the merits and demerits of the Bill are unlikely to be debated and voted upon."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/17/national-service-bill-_n_3941581.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #443 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15 AM »

With a bit of tweaking, I think that's a great idea! Doubt it'll come to pass though!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #444 on: September 18, 2013, 02:52 PM »

With a bit of tweaking, I think that's a great idea! Doubt it'll come to pass though!
It does sound a good idea until you scratch below the surface.

For one thing I don't think it should be mandatory for all, apart from the stated exceptions - which is the main objection to it.  If a person finds employment in which they are happy, or are embarking on a training of their own choosing, are they seriously going to want to give it up for a year to do something they might not want to?  Would employers be prepared to keep a job open for that long, which they were obliged to day in the days of the old National Service, but things have changed, and, as I see it, one of the tweaks would have to be that, if an employee wished to take advantage of the scheme, his or her job would be protected.  The one advantage of course might be that a temporary job would become available for somebody else, depending on the type of work involved.

What guarantee would there be anyway of unemployed participants in the scheme finding a job when that year is up, given today's employment climate?

Also I can't see your average moronic yob finding the scheme attractive.  All that would happen is that they would be coerced unwillingly into something, and 9 times out of 10 would merely continue causing trouble.

Apart from the military, where would all these people find the necessary work, whether voluntary or otherwise, along with decent accommodation - which is a valid reason for not forcing people to leave home or other permanent accommodation they occupy (another major objection)?

Perhaps a similar scheme which operated on a non-mandatory part-time basis would be more acceptable.  It works for the Territorial Army where Terries are usually in a full-time civilian job or training, so why couldn't it be applied to other areas, especially as a lot of voluntary charitable work is already part-time.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #445 on: September 18, 2013, 03:49 PM »

Why should young people even think of joining the Army even the TA. The army has lost many people as the government has made drastic cuts. They are even retiring soldiers who are going to miss out on their pensions because they are being retired early.They are trying to boost the numbers joining the TA. They are sending members of the TA to Afghinistan for long periods to bolster the regular troops. Plus why should our young men be sent to keep the peace when it will make no difference in that country. The only thing that pleases me is that parliament voted against UK taking any part in operations in Iraq. Glad to see some members of parliament voted no and gave it short shift. At least some of them paid attention to what the public was feeling. I also think this coalition government stinks it is far to right wing the Lib/Dem have very little power to change any legislation.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #446 on: September 18, 2013, 05:31 PM »

LB this scheme isn't just confined to the military like the old National Service was.  Other options are to be available with nobody being coerced into doing something they didn't want to do.

If a man, or woman, wishes to join the army of their own free will, then why shouldn't they?  After all they will be well aware of the risks they might have to face, although when it comes to the crunch it seems that many servicemen can't cope and end up suffering from PTSD.

Afghanistan, I agree, is a waste of lives and money.  It was a venture which was doomed from the outset since that lawless country has never been brought under control.  The British  tried three times in the latter half of the 19th century, mainly to use it as a stepping-stone to India, but failed dismally, suffering four-figure casualties in the process.  Even the mighty Russia gave up after nine years claiming it was their Vietnam.  The lessons of history, it seems, have not been learnt here.

Now we have a feckless David Cameron happy to use military intervention in Syria, although mercifully he was defeated, albeit it very narrowly, in the Commons.  At least it shows something was learnt from from Iraq by a good number of MPs, which is encouraging, and I'm glad that Obama has shown a sensible amount of restraint here too.

As far as I'm concerned these troubled countries should be left to fight their own battles, no matter how distressing, since intervention, whether military or otherwise, by outsiders rarely, if ever, works.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #447 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52 PM »

I agree Aileen let them fix it for themselves. I think Cameron still thinks we are one of the worlds police man
those days are long gone. I am not being selfish but charity begins at home and we should be more concerned about people who do not have enough money to pay for basic food and heating. Mr Osbourne has no idea about making ends meet on a basic wage. I do not see any of his party scraping money to survive. No wonder the general population feels the Tories are totally out of touch. Plus I don't see Clegg or his wife showing any lack of money. I hope the Con/Lib government are out at the next election I have no faith in them at all.Perhaps if we gain independence we will not have to bother about them.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #448 on: September 18, 2013, 06:08 PM »

Well we have exactly one year to find out whether Scotland will gain independence or not, but it seems to me that Cameron & Co are doing a lot to help Alex Salmond's cause, for which he must be rubbing his hands with glee.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: UK Coalition Govt: Success or failure? « Reply #449 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I really do feel that they are totally out of touch with ordinary people. If they continue with their policies I cannot see them winning. They also come across as so superior to ordinary working people. As far as I am concerned all the decisions they make mostly benefit the well of and not me or others like me. The pension is buying less and bills mostly go up. I dread the winter when energy bills rocket. This lot don't give a dam I do not think they are going to change.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »