Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Can We Trust Russia? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Can we trust Russia? (read below before voteing)
Yes - 10 (41.7%)
No - 10 (41.7%)
Not Sure - 4 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Can We Trust Russia?

(Read 8500 times)
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #150 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54 AM »

You can certainly count Ms. Palin out.

Half of the Republican Party doesn't want her even to be given the nomination.

Frankly, the amount of media attention she puts on herself and the fact that nothing in her interviews ever has a real clear meaning just further proves that she's a bobblehead for the so-called Tea Party Republicans.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans as a whole split into two parties at some point.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #151 on: December 03, 2010, 05:48 AM »

One of the good things to come out of Wikileaks!

BBC NEWS: Russia "Mafia state"
This is a real eye-opener, Tommy.  I've mistrusted Russia ever since the era of the Cold War.  Obviously some of the things have been suspected but seeing the whole sleazy, corrupt picture in print really gives me the shivers.

As for Putin, I personally think he's a dangerous megalomaniac who will stop at nothing.  Anybody who can suddenly shut off gas supplies to neighbouring countries without warning because of some perceived "offence" has to be either mad or bad, or, in his case, probably both.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #152 on: December 03, 2010, 11:42 AM »

^^Yeah and invade Georgia for the hell of it no My friend was there when it happened Frown and it was not good. It really did prove for a lot of people that Putin would quite like a nice Soviet Union of the old school years back yes
However, quite up for them hosting the World Cup, after all Britain is hosting the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics over the next couple of years, enough expense I think Smile
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #153 on: December 03, 2010, 11:56 AM »

I'm glad that Russia is hosting the World Cup, let someone else have a chance. I liked their presentation and the advert with that little boy dreaming that he scored the goal. Britain has enough going on, and expense.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #154 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24 PM »

I am by no means a fan on Putin's foreign affairs policies but take a step back into the last decade and consider the heavily intoxicated imbecile that was President Yeltsin. He yielded more than 50% of the economy to Russian Jew oligarchs in the 1990s who are now either life sentenced or seek asylum in the UK.

Putin has done an absolutely impossible job of rescuing the economy, correcting mass unemployment, reducing state organized crime and this is the first time, in a 50-60 year era of depression, people have begun to gain any confidence in their leader. For the majority who still live without electricity or running water, Putin has given folk their savings and their state benefits and security. He's finally allowed Russia to rise to the world political stage, instead of killing and fighting their own very people.

There is a lot of good and certainly bad but I'm not sure where the country would be if Yeltsin and his organised crime were still around.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #155 on: December 03, 2010, 02:01 PM »

Putin has indeed brought Russia back from the doldrums financially, and is one of the best politicians around, IMO.

Plus, he does judo - he's cool as ****.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #156 on: December 03, 2010, 02:28 PM »

Look at this hard ass! Reminds me of my dad for some reason lmao

IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #157 on: December 03, 2010, 05:09 PM »

Putin has indeed brought Russia back from the doldrums financially, and is one of the best politicians around, IMO.

Plus, he does judo - he's cool as f**k.

While rigging elections. Yes! Cool as f**k.

As for Putin, I personally think he's a dangerous megalomaniac who will stop at nothing.  Anybody who can suddenly shut off gas supplies to neighbouring countries without warning because of some perceived "offence" has to be either mad or bad, or, in his case, probably both.

Oh I so agree. I really am worried about his foreign prospects and what he wants to do. I don't trust him....and it worries me.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #158 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45 PM »

I think Russia is the least of anyone's worries, at this point.

I love how no one else understands what really goes on between Russia, Ukraine, and other Post Soviet countries, like Belarus. Countries like Ukraine and Belarus (yes, I can bash my homeland a bit) seek help from Russia all the time, on promises that they will pay back Russia at some point and never do. Does that give Putin the right to think Russia has power over these other countries? Not necessarily. But I'm sure he must have been as frustrated as hell because Ukraine takes a lot of its supplies from Russia and is now undermining Russia.

Sometimes, I look at the media, especially the US news, and stare in disbelief on how stereotypes and history shape how they report problems in certain countries.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #159 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53 PM »

^^To various of the above.

Yeah Putin has done an amazing rescue job on Russia...just worries me what he plans to do with the resources at his fingertips.

Yep the stereotypes are so strong and it gets annoying, but then again sometimes history does repeat itself so it's good to be aware of some of them, even if we realise that they don't accurately show the current state of affairs Smile

Wouldn't want to meet the man nervous
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #160 on: December 03, 2010, 07:58 PM »

It's actually pretty funny to hear kids question me about what life in Russia was like/is like.

They were told by their parents (or grandparents) about how terrified they all were of Russians because of all the media and government around the Cold War. Some asked me if Russians felt the same way.

My grandfather put it eloquently, and I guess I'll try to translate. He said, "We had enough to fear. The Americans were far away. But the Russians (the government) were in our cities and if you were even thought to be doing something wrong, you would be shot and left out to bleed. We did not fear the Americans because we feared our own men more."

I don't know, just kind of goes to show. The average Russian wasn't planning to hurt any American, like a lot of them think they were. They were just trying to survive against their own government.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #161 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02 PM »

^^Same with so many Germans during WW2, they didn't come out to fight because they were scared of us, they knew what the government would do to them and their families if they didn't Shrug And so many people were willing/frightened into turning on their neighbours and ratting them out that fear of their own leaders meant that they came out to fight the Allies.
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #162 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15 PM »

You can't blame Russians or Germans for the things that have happened in the past. Governments did those things. Governments that did not have the support of the people. They were dictatorships and in no way can you blame Russian people or German people.

I for one have got to know a lot of Russian here in NY. I go to school with a lot and they are great people. I would never say anything bad against Russians in general. I personally just don't trust the Russian government and leaders.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #163 on: December 03, 2010, 08:17 PM »

What I'm saying is that a lot of the propaganda and sensationalism from those Cold War times is still in effect today when the Western world reports on Russia.

IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Can We Trust Russia? « Reply #164 on: December 03, 2010, 08:21 PM »

I know and I was agreeing with you that that is wrong.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »