Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Charity Appeals 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Charity Appeals

(Read 965 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Charity Appeals « on: July 21, 2010, 04:30 PM »

Couldn't find any charities threads, so I'm starting one here.

In September, I'm doing the Great North Run for Parkinson's UK, as my uncle suffers from this god-awful disease. If anyone would like to leave a donation - even a quid, seriously - you can find my Just Giving page below. Cheers, folks.

www.justgiving.com/RunningforHome

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:18 PM »

Couldn't find any charities threads, so I'm starting one here.

In September, I'm doing the Great North Run for Parkinson's UK, as my uncle suffers from this god-awful disease. If anyone would like to leave a donation - even a quid, seriously - you can find my Just Giving page below. Cheers, folks.

www.justgiving.com/RunningforHome

Good luck with the run and hope you greatly exceed your target.  Donation made.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:27 PM »

^ Likewise, Nigel.  Best of luck! Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:39 PM »

Thanks to both of you!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:57 AM »

Good luck, Nigel. Usually not bothered when people do these runs as I tend not to be interested in the cause but Parkinson's is a very good one indeed.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59 PM »

It's that time of year again, and I'm plodding round the Great North Run in aid of Parkinson's UK.

My uncle, who was once a great runner and county badminton player, is in the late stages of this hideous disease.

Any contributions no matter how small most welcome.

http://www.justgiving.com/runforhome2/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:16 AM »

It's that time of year again, and I'm plodding round the Great North Run in aid of Parkinson's UK.

My uncle, who was once a great runner and county badminton player, is in the late stages of this hideous disease.

Any contributions no matter how small most welcome.

http://www.justgiving.com/runforhome2/

I am trying to give you a small donation but the form wouldn't let me go past my address and now it's omitted the boxes for the amount of the donation!

Is there any other way I can get this to you?  A postal address or details of a relevant bank account?  (By PM of course!) 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:12 AM »

At the third attempt I managed to get it to accept my card! Smile
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31 PM »

If you have today's Mail on Sunday YOU magazine you can see my husband on page 38.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:23 PM »

If you have today's Mail on Sunday YOU magazine you can see my husband on page 38.
Hi FCR!  Yes, I always read the Mail and had a look at the page you mention.

Your husband's case is a timely reminder that breast cancer isn't only suffered by women but that men too can have the disease, so well done to him for taking part in fashion shows to raise male awareness of that fact - and, incidentally, he makes a very handsome model!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23 AM »

Hi FCR!  Yes, I always read the Mail and had a look at the page you mention.

Your husband's case is a timely reminder that breast cancer isn't only suffered by women but that men too can have the disease, so well done to him for taking part in fashion shows to raise male awareness of that fact - and, incidentally, he makes a very handsome model!
Thanks, Aileen.  Just to plug the cause of Breast Cancer Care a bit more, he is also in this week's Woman's Weekly and he will be appearing on Channel 5's Live with Gabby Logan this morning at 11.10.  She hosted the fashion show last year.  Can't wait to see him, but feel really nervous.  Just hope the train to London has arrived on time :-)  I'm really looking forward to the fashion show on Wednesday.  Our son, one of the breast care nurses from our hospital and 7 other ladies from our local support group will all be there cheering him on.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33 PM »

Thanks, Aileen.  Just to plug the cause of Breast Cancer Care a bit more, he is also in this week's Woman's Weekly and he will be appearing on Channel 5's Live with Gabby Logan this morning at 11.10.  She hosted the fashion show last year.  Can't wait to see him, but feel really nervous.  Just hope the train to London has arrived on time :-)  I'm really looking forward to the fashion show on Wednesday.  Our son, one of the breast care nurses from our hospital and 7 other ladies from our local support group will all be there cheering him on.
Sorry I've only just got round to checking my emails, otherwise I'd certainly have watched the TV programme.  I hope that it all went off well and that fashion show goes well too. 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:38 AM »

FCR......I'm all for anyone who puts themselves out to raise awareness and help in the fight against breast cancer which is ruining my sisters life! I've done the Moonwalk Marathon twice in aid of Cancer research and care, once in London and once in Edinburgh! Lots of men donned bras [bless 'em] and walked with us on both occasions! So, well done to your husband and well done to you for supporting him!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:52 PM »

FCR......I'm all for anyone who puts themselves out to raise awareness and help in the fight against breast cancer which is ruining my sisters life! I've done the Moonwalk Marathon twice in aid of Cancer research and care, once in London and once in Edinburgh! Lots of men donned bras [bless 'em] and walked with us on both occasions! So, well done to your husband and well done to you for supporting him!
Sorry to read about your sister, Caz.  My husband was part of the support team at the London Moonwalk this year, picking up stragglers and injured along the way and ferrying them back to Hyde Park.

If you want to see the TV programme yesterday, you can still catch it on http://www.channel5.com/shows/live-with-gabby/episodes/episode-66-34 and fast forward to the third section.

Although 7 years ago this month my husband's mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy, grade 3 cancer cell in a lymph node and 5 years of pills were dealt with by the hospital, we certainly didn't put all our eggs into one basket and embraced a great deal of complementary therapies, a change of eating habits to organic, drinking only alkaline water, various supplements and everything else we could research that seems to have helped him survive.  I hope your sister finds a way through her struggle.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Charity Appeals « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 03:28 AM »

Thanks for the link FCR.  It was very interesting to hear what the two ladies, and in particular your husband, had to say.  I really do hope that his efforts to raise awareness of male breast cancer results in more older men checking themselves for signs of abnormalities in their breasts, and even for men of all ages to recognise that they have breasts in the first place.

It spoke volumes when I asked a 53 year old, well-educated, male friend last night if he realised that men could get breast cancer, to which he responded "But men don't have breasts".  So where did he think his nipples came from?  "Never thought about it".  And man boobs, according to him, were only excess fat in overweight males (he's slim by the way).

Thanks to the internet I fished out a simple article on the subject which hopefully he'll read and inwardly digest.

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »