Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Christchurch earthquake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Christchurch earthquake

(Read 4011 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Christchurch earthquake « on: February 22, 2011, 01:34 AM »

Another huge earthquake in Christchurch this afternoon. 6.3 this time compared to the 7.1 quake in September but worse because it was more shallow and closer to the city centre. No serious injuries or deaths last time as it was 4am and everyone would have been in bed but this time everyone is out and about and "mulitple fatalities" have been confirmed. Frown

Mod NoticeMoved discussion from 'News Thread' to create dedicated thread on this event.
[ Last edit by Mark February 23, 2011, 03:49 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:47 AM »

Another huge earthquake in Christchurch this afternoon. 6.3 this time compared to the 7.1 quake in September but worse because it was more shallow and closer to the city centre. No serious injuries or deaths last time as it was 4am and everyone would have been in bed but this time everyone is out and about and "mulitple fatalities" have been confirmed. Frown
What a tragedy.  I'm really sorry to hear about that, and it looks as though the news has just filtered through to the BBC website, which was updated only a few minutes ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12533291
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:52 AM »

Reports of buses around the city being crushed by falling buildings and bodies being pulled out. Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:00 AM »

Reports of buses around the city being crushed by falling buildings and bodies being pulled out. Frown
Oh my God - how awful.  Keep us informed, athough I see the breaking story is now being given prominence by the Beeb.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10 AM »

We have several stores in Christchurch and have managed to contact most but phone lines down.

There are now reports that people are trapped in partly collapsed buildings, including The Press building in cathedral Square and the Pyne Gould Guiness building.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8883867
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19 AM »

The phone networks have gone crazy. I've received the same text 4 times in the last couple of hours, presumably because they are going down then rebooting etc.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:27 AM »

We have several stores in Christchurch and have managed to contact most but phone lines down.

There are now reports that people are trapped in partly collapsed buildings, including The Press building in cathedral Square and the Pyne Gould Guiness building.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8883867
Just read that and the comments below the article.  One in particular sounds really scary -

"No geologist here, but last I checked ChCh was sitting on a large silt deposit there (unlike most other NZ places). Could it be just sliding into the ocean? Looks too much for the aftershocks or even a couple of unrelated quakes."

However, as he isn't a geologist, pray God he's wrong.

Are either of you anywhere near the quake?  It's bound to cause massive communication problems, though, over a huge area.

EDIT:  Just switched on BBC News 24 and the Deputy PM is speaking.  He reckons a lot of the communication problem, very understandably, is due to overloading of the system.

Christchurch hospital is being evacuated ...

[ Last edit by Aileen February 22, 2011, 03:36 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34 AM »

Nah neither of us are near. I'm in Wellington and apparently it was felt here - few people in the office saw their glasses of water move and felt a shake although I didn't.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44 AM »

Just read that and the comments below the article.  One in particular sounds really scary -

"No geologist here, but last I checked ChCh was sitting on a large silt deposit there (unlike most other NZ places). Could it be just sliding into the ocean? Looks too much for the aftershocks or even a couple of unrelated quakes."

However, as he isn't a geologist, pray God he's wrong.

Are either of you anywhere near the quake?  It's bound to cause massive communication problems, though, over a huge area.

EDIT:  Just switched on BBC News 24 and the Deputy PM is speaking.  He reckons a lot of the communication problem, very understandably, is due to overloading of the system.

Christchurch hospital is being evacuated ...

Apparently there is liquefication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_liquefaction

Hospital has stopped being evacuated althought latest reports are that residents of the city are to evacuate immediately and state of emergency declared.

As Alex has said, we are both nowhere near as we are both on the North Island.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44 AM »

From the TV reports everyone looks and sounds remarkably calm ... amazing - but I guess the full horror hasn't set in yet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55 AM »

Apparently there is liquefication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_liquefaction

Hospital has stopped being evacuated althought latest reports are that residents of the city are to evacuate immediately and state of emergency declared.

As Alex has said, we are both nowhere near as we are both on the North Island.
Thank goodness!

Just heard the mayor of Christchurch, Bob Parker, being interviewed.   He's confirmed the evacuation and there a pictures of people carring rucksacks or pulling shopping bag trolleys.  Also confirms that the hospital is functioning again.

Reading the link you posted, it begs the question why such a relatively large city was built on such a weak foundation
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27 AM »

Goodness knows why they did Aileen.

Just been confirmed that 65 are dead with people still reported as trapped in buildings/rubble.

Such a tragic loss no

Pictures:-

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/news-gallery/a/-/article/8882954/image/1/christchurch-earthquake-the-first-pics/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:06 AM »

^ Thanks Bev.   It's so difficult to comprehend what's happening ... the loss of life, total devastation, all these people being evacuated - but where to?  It's just awful.

This is the latest update from the Beeb website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12533291

Must get off to bed now - but my thoughts are very much for the people caught up in all this.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 06:47 AM »

Flights across New Zealand have been grounded after a major earthquake devastated the South Island city of Christchurch.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/8883550/all-nz-flights-grounded/

I'm not sure where the people of Christchurch are being evacuated to, especially if they don't have any family and friends to go to and besides, rail and air networks are shut down.  There were pictures of people gathering on a football/rugby pitch earlier in the news.  They seems to be repeating lots of news items and questioning people injured - we don't need to ask them how the feel, we can all see the harrowing pictures doh
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Christchurch earthquake « Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:48 AM »

Flights across New Zealand have been grounded after a major earthquake devastated the South Island city of Christchurch.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/8883550/all-nz-flights-grounded/

I'm not sure where the people of Christchurch are being evacuated to, especially if they don't have any family and friends to go to and besides, rail and air networks are shut down.  There were pictures of people gathering on a football/rugby pitch earlier in the news.  They seems to be repeating lots of news items and questioning people injured - we don't need to ask them how the feel, we can all see the harrowing pictures doh
Oh Bev ... hug
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »