Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Christchurch earthquake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Christchurch earthquake

(Read 3607 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 10:21 AM »

The search for survivors has been called off and it is now officially called "body recovery." Nothing we didn't know given no survivor has been found since Feb 23, the day after the quake.

Official toll currently 161.

Still sad to hear Frown
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #76 on: March 03, 2011, 07:54 PM »

Another one in Wellington overnight, 4.7 this time at 2.19am. Didn't wake me up so I didn't know about it until just now but most people at work say it work them up with a loud bang.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #77 on: March 03, 2011, 09:27 PM »

Another one in Wellington overnight, 4.7 this time at 2.19am. Didn't wake me up so I didn't know about it until just now but most people at work say it work them up with a loud bang.

hug take care
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #78 on: March 04, 2011, 03:53 AM »

Scary!  Thinking of both you and Bev, and of course NZ as a whole. grouphug
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #79 on: March 05, 2011, 09:02 AM »

People getting worried these Wellington quakes are related to Christchurch but we've been assured they are not. In the paper today it says apparently there have been 10 in Wellington in the 10 days since Christchurch, although only those 2 were above 4 on the scale and were felt. In the week before Christchurch there were 14 in Wellington and none were felt.

I never realised there are actually 1 or 2 every day in Wellington but they are almost always 3 or less on the Richter scale so are never felt by anyone. Just for some reason there were 2 this week that were unusually high. Apparently there are 15,000 per year in NZ but only about 250 are felt. I suppose it's inevitable there will be a massive one in Wellington one day.

We are moving to our new office on Monday and it is apparently 60% building code compliant in terms of earthquakes, and is only required to be 30%. Don't really understand what that means. Will only 40% of the building collapse rather than the whole thing? Why are buildings not required to be 100% compliant. The guy who told us made it sound like a great thing that it was double the requirement, but given what's happened in Christchurch I don't understand how a building that is 40% non-compliant can be positive.

Christchurch had a 4.8 aftershock this evening. Must seem like there's no end for the people down there. One piece of good news though. The rubble of Christchurch Cathedral has been checked and re-checked and not one body was found despite fears there were up to 22 people dead under there. Pretty amazing noone got trapped in there.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #80 on: March 05, 2011, 05:29 PM »

People getting worried these Wellington quakes are related to Christchurch but we've been assured they are not. In the paper today it says apparently there have been 10 in Wellington in the 10 days since Christchurch, although only those 2 were above 4 on the scale and were felt. In the week before Christchurch there were 14 in Wellington and none were felt.

I never realised there are actually 1 or 2 every day in Wellington but they are almost always 3 or less on the Richter scale so are never felt by anyone. Just for some reason there were 2 this week that were unusually high. Apparently there are 15,000 per year in NZ but only about 250 are felt. I suppose it's inevitable there will be a massive one in Wellington one day.

We are moving to our new office on Monday and it is apparently 60% building code compliant in terms of earthquakes, and is only required to be 30%. Don't really understand what that means. Will only 40% of the building collapse rather than the whole thing? Why are buildings not required to be 100% compliant. The guy who told us made it sound like a great thing that it was double the requirement, but given what's happened in Christchurch I don't understand how a building that is 40% non-compliant can be positive.

Christchurch had a 4.8 aftershock this evening. Must seem like there's no end for the people down there. One piece of good news though. The rubble of Christchurch Cathedral has been checked and re-checked and not one body was found despite fears there were up to 22 people dead under there. Pretty amazing noone got trapped in there.

That is quite amazing that no one was trapped- it was so badly damaged!

eek does sound a bit shifty doesn't it building wise yes I agree that it's a weird system
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #81 on: March 06, 2011, 01:35 PM »

Great news that no-one got killed in the Cathedral collapse.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19 AM »

Parts of Christchurch will have to be abandoned and up to 10,000 homes could be demolished as a result of last month's earthquake, Prime Minister John Key said today.

Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee previously told NZPA early estimates suggested 100,000 homes could need repairs while 10,000 could have to be rebuilt.

Prime Minister John Key confirmed those numbers this afternoon, and said the Government was working to identify which homes would have to be demolished.

"There will be some homes that can not be rebuilt and, as a result of the second earthquake, potentially, some sections and some areas of Christchurch which will need to be abandoned," Mr Key said.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8966500/parts-of-christchurch-to-be-abandoned/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #83 on: March 08, 2011, 01:34 PM »

Parts of Christchurch will have to be abandoned and up to 10,000 homes could be demolished as a result of last month's earthquake, Prime Minister John Key said today.

Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee previously told NZPA early estimates suggested 100,000 homes could need repairs while 10,000 could have to be rebuilt.

Prime Minister John Key confirmed those numbers this afternoon, and said the Government was working to identify which homes would have to be demolished.

"There will be some homes that can not be rebuilt and, as a result of the second earthquake, potentially, some sections and some areas of Christchurch which will need to be abandoned," Mr Key said.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8966500/parts-of-christchurch-to-be-abandoned/
It occurs to me that if the liquefaction is so bad in some areas, maybe they'll never be built on as it could be too costly, although perhaps could be turned into parkland?  Whatever, it's a terrible tragedy for what was, by all accounts, a beautiful city.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #84 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21 AM »

Certainly looking like Christchurch won't be hosting any of the rugby world cup matches now which will affect England - this was going to be their base camp.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #85 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Certainly looking like Christchurch won't be hosting any of the rugby world cup matches now which will affect England - this was going to be their base camp.

Which is also bad for Christchurch as if they could have found a way to manage at least some it would have brought in money...but then don't really see many people wanting to go there for matches Frown Sad though..though if it puts England off their game Whistle
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #86 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01 PM »

Which is also bad for Christchurch as if they could have found a way to manage at least some it would have brought in money...but then don't really see many people wanting to go there for matches Frown Sad though..though if it puts England off their game Whistle

whip
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #87 on: March 15, 2011, 07:02 PM »

whip

Smile My mum and I were both on the edge of our seats Saturday watching the match...though wasn't impressed by the big St Georges cross that appeared in the living room Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #88 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04 PM »

lol 

No mention of the women's rugby Hazel - the 89-0 thumping England gave Scotland Whistle
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Christchurch earthquake « Reply #89 on: March 15, 2011, 07:06 PM »

lol 

No mention of the women's rugby Hazel - the 89-0 thumping England gave Scotland Whistle

Didn't watch...the views not nearly as interesting as with the men's game lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »