Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Derren Brown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Derren Brown

(Read 6445 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #105 on: September 11, 2009, 11:46 PM »

Please don't insult me. I would be dissapointed if he lied about his explanations but that is all, nothing more.

Because you have only provided a quote, and I appreciate it may not be practical to reveal any loss of perspective that I have from not reading the book, then this really is simply down to intepreation of that quote. Assuming there is no more content to be provided, nothing more can really be argued on this apart from maybe you insulting my intelligence by saying I'm delusional from wanting to believe something desperately.

It's because you're frustrating, Mark. I have seen everything the guy has ever done and heard every explanation given. He sometimes gives blatantly false explanations that can be debunked via a simple google search.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #106 on: September 11, 2009, 11:47 PM »

How about this, Mark? In his show Something Wicked This Way Comes, part of his explanation involves talking about how a trick was popularised by a great magician called the Great Prestoni. He tells this with all sincerity.

The Great Prestoni was a character on the Dick Van Dyke show.
Finally, some evidence to your claim. Although that is an inaccuracy/joke/deception in talking about the history of a trick, it's not deception in the actual explanation of the trick. If he were trying to make it obvious to us that he does lie about his explanations on occasion, then surely he would have admitted it somewhere in some interview. Maybe I will find this somewhere.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #107 on: September 11, 2009, 11:49 PM »

It's because you're frustrating, Mark. I have seen everything the guy has ever done and heard every explanation given. He sometimes gives blatantly false explanations that can be debunked via a simple google search.
James, it's not rationale to be frustrated at me considering the evidence you initially gave to your claim, it was non-existent. You have much more knowledge on him than I do so you can't rely on me interpreting something the same way as you unless I know about this person as much as you. My interpretation was completely objective although that doesn't mean it was accurate, an interpretation can sometimes be more accurate when you have the correct perspective.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #108 on: September 11, 2009, 11:50 PM »

Finally, some evidence to your claim. Although that is an inaccuracy/joke/deception in talking about the history of a trick, it's not deception in the actual explanation of the trick. If he were trying to make it obvious to us that he does lie about his explanations on occasion, then surely he would have admitted it somewhere in some interview. Maybe I will find this somewhere.

He did admit it. You're simply misinterpreting his quote. That was an admission. He did the same thing with a trick involving lying down on glass and having someone step on him. He claimed that he had slowed his heartbeat down to a halt and had a nurse check him on stage. He claimed to be doing it legitimately. In reality, it's a conjuring trick.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #109 on: September 11, 2009, 11:50 PM »

James, it's not rationale to be frustrated at me considering the evidence you initially gave to your claim, it was non-existent. You have much more knowledge on him than I do so you can't rely on me intepreting something the same way as you unless I know about this person as much as you. My intepreation from completely objective although that doesn't mean it was accurate, an intepreation can sometimes be more accurate when you have the correct perspective.

It doesn't require much interpretation. It's pretty clear.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #110 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56 PM »

He did admit it. You're simply misinterpreting his quote. That was an admission.
I actually assumed you would probably be correct on this from the start but needed you to prove it for me. My objective intepretation may have been incorrect but if I were to have the same perspective as you do, due to your knowledge of his life and work, I might have interpreted it correctly. Assuming you are right on all of this.

It doesn't require much interpretation. It's pretty clear.
We'll just have to disagree on that, can't really talk much more on that unless we start asking others here to give their initial interpretations and weighing it all up.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #111 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56 PM »

Derren Brown PREDICTS 2 11 2 28 5 9 LOTTERY NUMBERS !!!!!

That's Wednesday's show. Smile

Something strange about why he didn't reveal his predicted numbers before the draw was broadcast on TV... Oh and btw I haven't seen tonight's show...
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #112 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58 PM »

I actually assumed you would probably be correct on this from the start but needed you to prove it for me. My objective intepretation may have been incorrect but if I were to have the same perspective as you do, due to your knowledge of his life and work, I might have interpreted it correctly. Assuming you are right on all of this.
We'll just have to disagree on that, can't really talk much more on that unless we start asking others here to give their initial interpretations and weighing it all up.

I'm reading a lengthy passage from his book about this subject, but I don't have the patience to quote it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #113 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58 PM »

Something strange about why he didn't reveal his predicted numbers before the draw was broadcast on TV...
He wasn't allowed to for legal reasons, BBC have to reveal them first.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #114 on: September 11, 2009, 11:59 PM »

I'm reading a lengthy passage from his book about this subject, but I don't have the patience to quote it.
I understand that and I don't expect you to as I mentioned earlier, "I appreciate it may not be practical to reveal any loss of perspective that I have from not reading the book".

Best I can do is some Googling when I can be bothered.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #115 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02 AM »

I understand that and I don't expect you to as I mentioned earlier, "I appreciate it may not be practical to reveal any loss of perspective that I have from not reading the book".

Best I can do is some Googling when I can be bothered.

I was trying to find an ebook version so that I could point you towards where he talks about it.

I'd recommend picking up the book, actually. He does reveal a lot of his techniques sincerely. Its a brilliant read, in which he talks about his act, how he got started, how he became an atheist, the moral side of what he does, other practitioners. It's brilliant.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #116 on: September 12, 2009, 12:03 AM »

He did the same thing with a trick involving lying down on glass and having someone step on him. He claimed that he had slowed his heartbeat down to a halt and had a nurse check him on stage. He claimed to be doing it legitimately. In reality, it's a conjuring trick.
Did he claim to be doing it legitimately at the time of the performance or after when he explained it? If it's the former then I've seen him lie like that many times.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #117 on: September 12, 2009, 12:06 AM »

Did he claim to be doing it legitimately at the time of the performance or after when he explained it? If it's the former then I've seen him lie like that many times.

No, that was the explanation. He claimed to be slowing down his heart to a halt by using a meditation technique.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #118 on: September 12, 2009, 12:08 AM »

He wasn't allowed to for legal reasons, BBC have to reveal them first.
But Derren revealing his calculated guess is surely seperate from the actual numbers being revealed even though his calculated guess turned out to be true? Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #119 on: September 12, 2009, 12:08 AM »

No, that was the explanation. He claimed to be slowing down his heart to a halt by using a meditation technique.
I see, well if this is all true then I obviously take back my comments about the lottery ticket but will need to do some further research to be fully convinced. It's a shame you got so frustrated at me when I wanted a calm conversation with the hope of you educating me with your knowledge on Derren. I have to tame myself in these types of conversations with you to avoid all out war like we used to get into.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »