Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Derren Brown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Derren Brown

(Read 6938 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #135 on: September 12, 2009, 12:30 AM »

I've watched it twice and I don't recall it being phrased quite like that.
As I say, not certain of the exact words but from memory it sounded like him saying, "This is how it happened but I don't expect you to believe me". I'll have to look at it again when it goes online.

It's not illegal, though. It was his guess. Whatever the agreement, it was not illegal. No such agreement would have been made, if at all avoidable. Having those numbers on display before the draw would have put any doubt to bed.
He absolutely says for legal reasons he was not allowed to show the balls until afterwards due to BBC having to show them first.

01:10 into it
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown/4od#2935221
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #136 on: September 12, 2009, 12:31 AM »

Mark, I just watched it again. He said nothing even remotely like that. lmao
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #137 on: September 12, 2009, 12:31 AM »

As I say, not certain of the exact words but from memory it sounded like him saying, "This is how it happened but I don't expect you to believe me". I'll have to look at it again when it goes online.
He absolutely says for legal reasons due to the BBC, he was not allowed to show the balls until afterwards.

01:10 into it
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown/4od#2935221

Yes, he said that. I'm not denying that he said it. It wasn't true, though. It was his guess. He would not have been revealing the numbers, just his guess. Not against the law.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #138 on: September 12, 2009, 12:32 AM »

Yes, he said that. I'm not denying that he said it. It wasn't true, though. It was his guess. He would not have been revealing the numbers, just his guess. Not against the law.
Then that was an outright lie, you said Derren doesn't do that sort of thing. In fact no way did he lie, he name dropped Camelot into his explanation, he can't get away with that and neither would he try.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #139 on: September 12, 2009, 12:35 AM »

Then that was an outright lie, you said Derren doesn't do that sort of thing. In fact no way did he lie, he name dropped Camelot into his explanation, he can't get away with that and neither would he try.

You're not getting it. It's part of the illusion. His explanations are often dishonest. He makes that clear. It is up to the viewer to decide what is genuine and what is not.

He said he met with Camelot, which he probably did.

Mark, it wasn't illegal. It's not illegal to reveal a guess.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #140 on: September 12, 2009, 12:37 AM »

I can't believe you think he would lie about a legal issue on air and falsely include Camelot into that lie, you can't be more wrong on this.

For those who want to see the transcript:

Now we've spoken to Camelot, in a meeting with Camelot one of the things that came out of that meeting with Camelot is the fact that the BBC have a legal right to announce the lottery numbers first before anyone else does. Because of that, I can't show you the numbers until just after the lottery has been announced. 
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #141 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39 AM »

I can't believe you think he would lie and name drop Camelot into that lie, you're so wrong on this.

For those who want to see the transcript, how anyone can think this is a lie is beyond me:

Now we've spoken to Camelot, in a meeting with Camelot one of the things that came out of that meeting with Camelot is the fact that the BBC have a legal right to announce the lottery numbers first before anyone else does. Because of that, I can't show you the numbers until just after the lottery has been announced.  

That wasn't a lie. They do have that legal right. It's the last part that's the lie.

"Because of that, I can't show you the numbers until just after the lottery has been announced. "

It was his lie. He didn't implicate Camelot in it, since what he said in the first part was completely true. They do have that right. It's all in the wording, Mark. Read over it a few times.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #142 on: September 12, 2009, 12:41 AM »

Nope, all part of the same thing, the word "because" makes the latter comment connected with the first.

I've always known you hate being wrong. I'm astonished you are still pursuing this idea it was a lie considering the overwhelming evidence against that. It's laughable.
[ Last edit by Mark September 12, 2009, 12:50 AM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #143 on: September 12, 2009, 12:43 AM »

Nope, all part of the same thing, the word "because" makes the latter part connected with the first. I've always known you hate being wrong.

I'm astonished you are still pursuing this idea it was a lie given the evidence. It's laughable.

You're not getting it. Jeez.

Read it again. The first part is the truth. They do have the legal right to reveal the official lottery numbers on air. However, he isn't revealing the official lottery numbers. He would be revealing a guess. He is banking on the viewer making the assumption you have just made.

Why would it be illegal to reveal a guess? Use your head.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #144 on: September 12, 2009, 12:46 AM »

Go ahead and argue over semantics, to everyone watching that, Camelot is included in the lie and either Derren was incredibly disrespectful to Camelot or he was actually telling the truth or at least thought he was. I've got nothing more to say on this, feel free to have the last post and end it by insulting my intelligence as usual.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #145 on: September 12, 2009, 12:51 AM »

Go ahead and argue over semantics, to everyone watching that, Camelot is included in the lie and either Derren was incredibly disrespectful to Camelot or he was actually telling the truth or at least thought he was. I've got nothing more to say on this, feel free to have the last post and end it by insulting my intelligence as usual.

They were not included in the lie. How can you seriously not be getting this? I'm going to break it down for you.

"Now we've spoken to Camelot, in a meeting with Camelot one of the things that came out of that meeting with Camelot is the fact that the BBC have a legal right to announce the lottery numbers first before anyone else does."

That part is the truth. It's the second part that is the lie.

"Because of that, I can't show you the numbers until just after the lottery has been announced. "

He is not saying that they are lying. He is banking on a viewer assumption. It is his lie. He has presented a bit of truth and then tacked a lie onto the end. If he was revealing the official numbers, that would be illegal, as Camelot said. However, he would only be revealing a guess because the numbers hadn't been announced yet.

Tell me, do you think it would be illegal for me to post my lottery predictions on YouTube? It's the same thing.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #146 on: September 12, 2009, 10:33 AM »

They were not included in the lie. How can you seriously not be getting this? I'm going to break it down for you.

"Now we've spoken to Camelot, in a meeting with Camelot one of the things that came out of that meeting with Camelot is the fact that the BBC have a legal right to announce the lottery numbers first before anyone else does."

That part is the truth. It's the second part that is the lie.

He is not saying that they are lying. He is banking on a viewer assumption. It is his lie. He has presented a bit of truth and then tacked a lie onto the end. If he was revealing the official numbers, that would be illegal, as Camelot said. However, he would only be revealing a guess because the numbers hadn't been announced yet.

Tell me, do you think it would be illegal for me to post my lottery predictions on YouTube? It's the same thing.
Good posting!  That's what I was trying to get at earlier but not doing it that well.  Rolling Eyes
[ Last edit by Allan September 12, 2009, 10:38 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #147 on: September 12, 2009, 11:27 AM »

I don't think he lied but even if he did, I believe that would certainly qualify as a "blatent lie".

He's genuine and doesn't deal in blatant lies like that.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #148 on: September 12, 2009, 12:04 PM »

I don't think he lied but even if he did, I believe that would certainly qualify as a "blatent lie".

It doesnt. It's all part of the illusion. He'll give an explanation, often one that can be easily debunked. I don't think I've ever seen him flatout say, "This is the truth".

In the above case, he *needed* an excuse not to show anyone the balls prior to the draw. And that's what he came up with.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #149 on: September 12, 2009, 12:22 PM »

Anyway, looking at the mainstream media today, it seems every single article is against him today saying the real explanation was not given. Out of all his TV stunts, this one would seem to have harmed his reputation the most. I've always found his other explanations for his big TV stunts very interesting but if this one was not true then it would make it the most uninteresting.
[ Last edit by Mark September 12, 2009, 12:27 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »