Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Derren Brown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Derren Brown

(Read 7954 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Derren Brown « on: January 16, 2009, 03:14 PM »

Has anyone been watching the stuff he's doing at the theatre? It's CRAZY!

I understand that everything he has done in his previous standard TV programmes can be explained very easily but some of the stuff he's doing in the theatre is just ridiculous.

How can there be an simple explanation behind when he asks everyone to think of a question and then he is able to say the question they were thinking, and these are really specific things! For example in his last show, he picked a guy and said something like, "I know you were testing me and so you had a silly question, you asked me if you should shave your scrotum." I mean, WTF! That's nothing like cold reading.
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 03:18 PM ] IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:25 PM »

OMG, I watched that last night and was totally freaked out.
I really want to know how he does it.
There is no way he could randomly guess what these people where thinking, that girl who was moving to America, that woman who dreamt about Alan Titchmarsh... etc.
I need to know how he does it!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:47 PM »

I can't understand how yesterday's show could not be done without the help of an ability that the rest of us humans do not possess.

There are only two explanations I can think of:

1) Derren Brown is significantly ahead in evolution and therefore has unlocked parts of his brain that are still inactive in the rest of us.

2) He has learnt an amazing skill of some how knowing what someone has thought in their mind by the sound of their voice, even though in yesterdays show people just had to say a single word to him for him to know specific things about them.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 04:50 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:32 PM »

I may be cynical, but it might be a set-up, although I doubt that, Derren seems genuine.

IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36 PM »

Derren does seem genuine, but I can't get how he does it, because through the whole thing he was saying that he doesn't believe in physcic ability etc... Mind boggling.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36 PM »

Out of the explanations I can think of, the show being a set-up seems the least likely even though it would make the most sense Think
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:51 PM »

I can't understand how yesterday's show could not be done without the help of an ability that the rest of us humans do not possess.

There are only two explanations I can think of:

1) Derren Brown is significantly ahead in evolution and therefore has unlocked parts of his brain that are still inactive in the rest of us.

2) He has learnt an amazing skill of some how knowing what someone has thought in their mind by the sound of their voice, even though in yesterdays show people just had to say a single word to him for him to know specific things about them.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

He's a wizard, Harry!  No.... I don't know either.  I can get how he uses psychology, suggestion and persuasion in some of the things he does, but how he can know what someone is thinking is beyond me.   The only thing I can think is that he is so good at reading people, that the slightest involuntary movement or signal that he gets from someone allows him to build a picture of what they are thinking?  Say for example, the guy who thought about shaving his scrotum - he may have made some involuntary movements that indicated what he was thinking?  Goodness knows......  Think
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 07:54 PM »

Yes, that is the sort of thing I was getting at with my second explanation but bear in mind he was blind folded when he was able to say the questions everyone was thinking.

I actually take back my second explanation because if I remember correctly, he was able to do it before people spoke.
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 07:58 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57 PM »

Yes, that is the sort of thing I was getting at with my second explanation but bear in mind he was blind folded when he was able to say the questions everyone was thinking.

Really?  I didn't see the particular show you're referring to.  Well, that's even more astonishing.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:00 PM »

Derren does seem genuine, but I can't get how he does it, because through the whole thing he was saying that he doesn't believe in physcic ability etc... Mind boggling.
One explanation could be that he is actually physcic but knows he can go through life with much more respect by saying he isn't

If you were physcic, would you admit it? No one would want be your friend, especially not your partner under those circumstances.
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 08:03 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23 PM »

Has anyone been watching the stuff he's doing at the theatre? It's CRAZY!

I understand that everything he has done in his previous standard TV programmes can be explained very easily but some of the stuff he's doing in the theatre is just ridiculous.

How can there be an simple explanation behind when he asks everyone to think of a question and then he is able to say the question they were thinking, and these are really specific things! For example in his last show, he picked a guy and said something like, "I know you were testing me and so you had a silly question, you asked me if you should shave your scrotum." I mean, WTF! That's nothing like cold reading.

What on earth makes you think there's anything simple about what he does on tv?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:24 PM »

I may be cynical, but it might be a set-up, although I doubt that, Derren seems genuine.

It's not. Wouldn't be possible. He does this show everywhere and all audience members are chosen by throwing a frisbee or a stuffed animal into the crowd.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:24 PM »

It's an assumption based on the fact his explanations for past amazing stunts have always ended up being so simple compared to what we might think up while we are ignorant. He has yet to offer an explanation for some of the things he does in his recent programmes and it wouldn't surprise me, going by his past revelations, if the explanations were also simple.
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 08:28 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 08:26 PM »

I actually take back my second explanation because if I remember correctly, he was able to do it before people spoke.

He's good at manipulating people's thoughts. I'll show you a clip of how he plants a completely unrelated thought into someone's head.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29 PM »

We know that about him already, Clydey - I'm sure most of us here who have posted have seen his previous shows Smile
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »