Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Derren Brown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Derren Brown

(Read 6949 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 08:57 PM »

He wants to pretend he's not psychic, yet he goes around flaunting his ability? Not the best way of hiding it.

Sure, that's a valid explanation.
Yes it is. Instead of flaunting a psychic ability, he is flaunting his intelligence, that is something that will gain more respect for him than the former. It would also not scare off any potential people who want to spend their life around him.

If I was psychic, I don't think it would be a good idea to tell my partner that and neither the public. But would I try and make money from it? Probably.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 08:58 PM »

Like I said to Mark, I really shouldn't participate in this discussion. I'll rapidly lose the rag.

Aww..... surely not....... so unlike you.....  Whistle   big kiss
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 08:58 PM »

Aww..... surely not....... so unlike you.....  Whistle   big kiss
He's doing a Sunniii Whistle
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Yes it is. Instead of flaunting a psychic ability, he is flaunting his intelligence, that is something that will gain more respect for him than the former. It would also not scare off any potential people who want to spend their life around him.

If I was psychic, I don't think it would be a good idea to tell my partner that and neither the public. But would I try and make money from it? Probably.

You're not getting it. If he really wanted to hide being psychic, why would he draw such obvious attention to himself?

And Derren is has already admitted that it was a problem for him when dating women (he's out of the closet now). They always thought he was reading them. So it wouldn't matter either way. They still thought he could read them like a book.

And many people claim to be psychic. They don't have any problems by saying that they're a psychic, so that's another explanation debunked.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 09:00 PM »

He's doing a Sunniii Whistle

I haven't called anyone names. I'm just stunned at some people's logic.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02 PM »

You're not getting it. If he really wanted to hide being psychic, why would he draw such obvious attention to himself?
Money, fame and because he knows phsyic abilities are not accepted in science and is probably not accepted by most of the public so it's fairly easy for him to give alternative explanations that are simply based on him having superior intelligence.

And Derren is has already admitted that it was a problem for him when dating women (he's out of the closet now). They always thought he was reading them. So it wouldn't matter either way. They still thought he could read them like a book.
He may have not seen that coming and I don't think it's in the same league as actually explicitly reading someone's mind but I respect your argument there.

I haven't called anyone names. I'm just stunned at some people's logic.
Everything I'm arguing is hypothetical, in no way do I think he is most likely psychic.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02 PM »

Jesus.... that would be un-nerving.   Trying to hide all your erotic thoughts..... lol
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 09:04 PM »

Money, fame and because he knows phsyic abilities is not accepted in science and is probably not accepted by most of the public so it's fairly easy for him to give alternative explanations that are simply based on him having superior intelligence.

He doesn't claim to be particularly intelligent. I have his book. And people do believe in psychics. There are more believers than non-believers. He could also prove himself if he was genuinely psychic. Coming out as a psychic really isn't a problem.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 09:07 PM »

He doesn't claim to be particularly intelligent.
He doesn't need to claim it Very Happy

He could also prove himself if he was genuinely psychic. Coming out as a psychic really isn't a problem.
As I've said before, I don't think that would be wise.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 09:08 PM »

He doesn't need to claim it, he clearly possesses superior intelligence Very Happy

Yes, but if you are going to flaunt your intelligence, as you put it, you wouldn't come out and say you have average intelligence.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09 PM »

Yes, but if you are going to flaunt your intelligence, as you put it, you wouldn't come out and say you have average intelligence.
Why not? Everyone can see he has superior intelligence by his actions, there is absolutely no need for him to say otherwise. If he chooses to say he has average intelligence then to me that's him simply being very modest.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 09:11 PM »

Why not? Everyone can see he has superior intelligence by his actions, there is absolutely no need for him to say otherwise. If he chooses to say he has average intelligence then to me that's him simply being very modest.

I agree. However, if your goal is to flaunt your intelligence you wouldn't attempt to downplay it. That defeats the purpose.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 09:14 PM »

As I've said before, I don't think that would be wise.

Yes,  but I've just demonstrated that the argument doesn't hold up. There are more believers than non-believers. He makes a much more convincing psychic than anyone else out there. And there are many lesser cold readers who make millions, like John Edward. There's no stigma attached to coming out as a psychic, so he has no reason to hide it from the public.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 09:18 PM »

Putting aside intelligence specifically... the main point I'm trying to make is if you are psychic then you have the ability to impress and entertain to an extremely high level. You can do those things without revealing your abililities but by instead giving alternatives explanations, which are believable, for a few of your tricks and hiding the psyhic explanations behind the bigger tricks. All of the above has one end result, lots of money.

EDIT: Removed the mention of Derren and reworded the post as it could have caused confusion.
[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 09:33 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 09:20 PM »

Yes,  but I've just demonstrated that the argument doesn't hold up. There are more believers than non-believers.
It doesn't matter if 100% of the population believe in the existence of psyphic abilities - if I proved to the people who are close to me that I'm physic, they would feel uncomfortable being around me. That is why I don't think it is wise to reveal such a thing.

[ Last edit by Mark January 16, 2009, 09:30 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »