Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Derren Brown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Derren Brown

(Read 6343 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #195 on: September 21, 2009, 07:25 PM »

I was dying for it to work on me, Cate and I were very disappointed Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #196 on: September 21, 2009, 07:34 PM »

^ He he... I know what you mean.... I forced the programme on my friends, and they just think I'm nuts..... Frown   
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #197 on: September 21, 2009, 07:35 PM »

...but then, I do suffer from incontinence!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #198 on: September 21, 2009, 07:42 PM »

...but then, I do suffer from incontinence!
DAVID!!!!  How are you?  Still senile, I see......   Wink
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #199 on: September 27, 2009, 10:21 PM »

Any thoughts on the latest episode, that light bulb thing was such ********!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #200 on: September 27, 2009, 10:56 PM »

Why was it ********? It was clearly meant to be a trick and it was a good one at that.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #201 on: September 27, 2009, 11:24 PM »

Why was it ********? It was clearly meant to be a trick and it was a good one at that.
Well ok, it was quite entertaining and I did watch the program with quite a sceptical view, and I don't know about the lighting up thing, but I think there was some kind of vacuum device on the clip he attatched to the bag, glass doesn't implode like that otherwise. Or then again it could have been the power of his mind...
I didn't buy some of it but it was very entertaining, and his slant makes it seem very believable. I had quite a discussion (arguement) with my mum over the subliminal newspaper ad thing, she kept saying I don't remember seeing it in any newspaper and I was like that's the point of subliminal, you don't notice! Stubborn woman.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #202 on: September 27, 2009, 11:27 PM »

He never meant for it to seem like he did it with his mind, that was just him having a laugh, I think it was always intended to be seen as a trick.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #203 on: September 27, 2009, 11:34 PM »

He never meant for it to seem like he did it with his mind, that was just him having a laugh, I think it was always intended to be seen as a trick.
Think

he's like the rs teacher who passionately explains why you should believe in god, and then dismisses it all at the end, it's quite a good way of making people think they've made a decision themselves...
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #204 on: September 28, 2009, 02:02 AM »

Think

he's like the rs teacher who passionately explains why you should believe in god, and then dismisses it all at the end, it's quite a good way of making people think they've made a decision themselves...

That's precisely what he does.

I think you have the wrong idea about what it is that he does, though. The lightbulb thing was a conjurers trick. He never claimed otherwise. That was the point.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #205 on: September 28, 2009, 10:29 AM »

How about the drawing circles and stonehenge thing? Other than all those people being plants, how did he do it?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #206 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46 AM »

He put adverts into pretty much every newspaper in the UK on the 25th. So later that day, people would have that advert in their subconscious even though they probably didn't even read it and draw whatever the adverts suggested they should draw.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #207 on: September 28, 2009, 01:42 PM »

He put adverts into pretty much every newspaper in the UK on the 25th. So later that day, people would have that advert in their subconscious even though they probably didn't even read it and draw whatever the adverts suggested they should draw.

Smoke and mirrors. It was suggestion. I'm not sure about the stone henge thing, but I picked up on how he planted the idea of concentric circles in peoples' minds.

Look at the show again and pay special attention when they do a closeup of the woman's eyes. Also, he said something about us drawing something simple, with shapes interacting. I immediately thought of circles and was aware of why I thought of that, as I was listening out for subtle suggestions.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #208 on: September 28, 2009, 01:44 PM »

I can't make out wheter you are disagreeing with me or not?

I also think Derren was doing suggestion throughout the programme to try and get the TV audience to draw what he wanted but I also believe what he said about the adverts, are you saying the latter is not true?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Derren Brown « Reply #209 on: September 28, 2009, 01:52 PM »

I can't make out wheter you are disagreeing with me or not?

I also think Derren was doing suggestion throughout the programme to try and get the TV audience to draw what he wanted but I also believe what he said about the adverts, are you saying the latter is not true?

Yes, I'm saying the latter is not true. It's a brilliant reveal and is similar to the conclusion of one of his stages tricks. That's just a bit of misdirection, though. The real brilliance is in how he influenced the girl to draw that, and then took a risk by banking on her drawing what he wanted, and then planting the idea in everyone's head to draw the same thing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »