Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Do you agree with homework? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Do you agree with homework?  (Read 1346 times)
Connor
World No 1

Do you agree with homework? « on: February 27, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Yes, I am a teenager and of course I would hate homework, but I am a good student and generally do homework despite me not agreeing with it. Today most of our class got various types of detentions for missing a homework during the holidays, only our science teacher didn't actually give us the full week to complete it. He only gave us 2 days. I am one who likes to if we get homework during the holidays get it done early so that I can enjoy my holiday without it feeling like another week at school. The teacher that gave out the detentions seemed pretty assured he was in the right, but us students think he was wrong. What do you think? And do you agree with homework anyway?

I don't want this to sound like a rant, I just want to see what the general population thinks about this situation.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Of course. Some independent work/learning away from the classroom prepares you well for higher education.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13 PM »

Deadlines suck, but that's the way life works.

Homework is necessary in education.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Speaking as someone 'in the business' it might come as a suprise when I say I wholeheartedly disagree with homework. Here's why:

- School is like a job. You work there, then you go home. When you come home at the end of a hard day's work, do you really want to have to do more work? I know I check out when I open my front door.

- Homework cannot be quantified accurately at school. (Did you do that work, Johnny?.. without extraneous assistance?) The best way for me to know if a student is learning and is willing to do the work required is to see what they produce in class.

- Group Projects as homework are the worst. Who really pulled their weight? I've often had to advocate for a student to a teacher who didn't 'see' who did the vast majority of the work because they can't speak up for themself. And I've observed many instances where others have done nothing, but are able to carry it off by their presentation abilities.

- Home Projects. I'd rather give Johnny a great mark for his home-made castle made out of all the wrong sizes of popsicle sticks that are all falling apart if you dare even look at it, than Jimmy's pristine perfect one which was obviously made by dad.
I see parents get good marks time and time again.

- I've worked with many disorganised teachers who leave it to the last minute to deliver the curriculum, and rush-teach at the end of the term, placing unnecessary demands on the students.

Independent study habits and deadlines are an important part of the learning process, and life in general, but I don't agree with everyday homework for the sake of it.

That's my rant.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:45 PM »

Speaking as someone 'in the business' it might come as a suprise when I say I wholeheartedly disagree with homework. Here's why:

- School is like a job. You work there, then you go home. When you come home at the end of a hard day's work, do you really want to have to do more work? I know I check out when I open my front door.

- Homework cannot be quantified accurately at school. (Did you do that work, Johnny?.. without extraneous assistance?) The best way for me to know if a student is learning and is willing to do the work required is to see what they produce in class.

- Group Projects as homework are the worst. Who really pulled their weight? I've often had to advocate for a student to a teacher who didn't 'see' who did the vast majority of the work because they can't speak up for themself. And I've observed many instances where others have done nothing, but are able to carry it off by their presentation abilities.

- Home Projects. I'd rather give Johnny a great mark for his home-made castle made out of all the wrong sizes of popsicle sticks that are all falling apart if you dare even look at it, than Jimmy's pristine perfect one which was obviously made by dad.

- I've worked with many disorganised teachers who leave it to the last minute to deliver the curriculum, and rush-teach at the end of the term, placing unnecessary demands on the students.

Independent study habits and deadlines are an important part of the learning process, and life in general, but I don't agree with everyday homework for the sake of it.

That's my rant.

Re first point - a lot of people take their work home with them, though. That in itself is becoming increasingly prevalent. I check my e-mail even when I'm at home, and I have only just started at my company.

Most employers have their staff by the Blackberries.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Goddam work has no place in the home. Unless you're working from home.

It's time to stomp our feet and say enough is enough! and protect our boundaries.  Boxing
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05 PM »

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Well, I'm also 'in the business' and support homework on the whole so long as it is a reasonable amount and backs up/ supports class work and that children whose circumstances mean it doesn't get done are not going to be disadvantaged in their learning or made  to feel any less. It tells you a lot about a child's attitude to their learning looking at the effort they give their hmework and helps them develop discipline and independence in their work. It also helps them learn to manage their time. I get exactly what Linda means about the projects and models  - but I do get my class to do them (this year we've already created aWW2 museum of models and am expecting lots of 3d  rainforests this week. ) They are always of varying quality but regardless the children are proud of them and love showing them off to each other and other classes and they love seeing what everyone else has done.  In primary at least homework isn't compulsory so we can't punish children for not doing it.

Sorry Gangsta, hit those books!

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31 PM »

That's my rant.

Most of those points sound like you're referring to 7 year old kids getting homework. No 15 year old is making a homemade castle.

In high school and up, you should expect to get homework. School is not a job - if that was the case, more than half the kids would be fired. Smile
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34 PM »

From a cannon hopefully.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34 PM »

It's funny. Teachers drive it home about how important having a social life is and then they give you so much homework that you can't have a social life. No. I don't agree with homework. I'm 20, and I still think it's the silliest idea ever. It puts stress on kids, and half the time homework is on subjects you haven't covered in class.

The course I do now is all coursework based, and a lot is done at home, but it's not technically homework, just exams without the time constraints.

Screw homework.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Well, I'm also 'in the business' and support homework on the whole so long as it is a reasonable amount and backs up/ supports class work and that children whose circumstances mean it doesn't get done are not going to be disadvantaged in their learning or made  to feel any less. It tells you a lot about a child's attitude to their learning looking at the effort they give their hmework and helps them develop discipline and independence in their work. It also helps them learn to manage their time. I get exactly what Linda means about the projects and models  - but I do get my class to do them (this year we've already created aWW2 museum of models and am expecting lots of 3d  rainforests this week. ) They are always of varying quality but regardless the children are proud of them and love showing them off to each other and other classes and they love seeing what everyone else has done.  In primary at least homework isn't compulsory so we can't punish children for not doing it.

Sorry Gangsta, hit those books!

No, I've put up with this lack of respect regarding homework DURING HOLIDAYS from the teachers long enough. I have not had a full holiday where I have not had one ounce of stress on me in a little over 2 years now. Also how can I teacher possibly think he is in the right by setting work 5 days late and only 2 days before the deadline. Absolutely disgraceful. I hope he and my other teacher get their comeupance in the near future. They need it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40 PM »

What grade are you in westie? (I'm an EA, from JK playdough to Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors.)

One minute I've had glitter up my nose and mud underneath my nails, then next period I've been Gr. 8 Algebra. (Not easy to be taken seriously there when I have glitter up my nose Very Happy)
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42 PM »

No, I've put up with this lack of respect regarding homework DURING HOLIDAYS from the teachers long enough. I have not had a full holiday where I have not had one ounce of stress on me in a little over 2 years now. Also how can I teacher possibly think he is in the right by setting work 5 days late and only 2 days before the deadline. Absolutely disgraceful. I hope he and my other teacher get their comeupance in the near future. They need it.

In my own defence I have NEVER set holiday homework EVER. I also don't set homework in June - other than get outside and play!!!
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Homework can actually affect a person's health. The undue stress that is put on kids that don't deserve nor need it makes me want to kick a few teachers down consideration lane.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »