Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Do you agree with homework? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Do you agree with homework?

(Read 2182 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Robbie talking **** as usual.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23 PM »

There are some crappy teachers out there, no doubt.

And Uni/College lecturers too.

As long as you do the work to the best of your ability, and you can stand by and back up your convictions, then I believe you have every right to challenge on your own behalf.

More than our fair share of crap lecturers at UWE. All foreign too, funnily enough. No doubt drafted in on a cheap wage. A couple of Asian ones who can barely speak English shouting words at you and getting flustered when you ask them a question. Way too many non-English speaking lecturers here (on our course at least, can't speak for the others).

We had an Italian lecturer last year who talked in an incredibly soft monotone voice, and the entire tutorial was her reading the homework questions and answers word for word off the board. Ask her a question and she would just repeat the answer. End of the tutorial she would literally just stop speaking and not move. Then just stare at us whilst we looked at each wondering if we were allowed to leave or not. Thankfully we don't have that module anymore, although she does take a lecture after one of ours. I feel for those students who have to put up with a lecture. I'd be surprised if anyone actually turns up.

She sounded a lot like Consuela (off Family Guy) actually. Whenever we gave a wrong answer she would respond with..

[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 27, 2013, 10:29 PM ] IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43 PM »

I find that the people who complain that they can't have a social life because of homework simply can't manage their time efficiently. I'll be the first to say that I get distracted when I do homework so it takes a longer time, but that doesn't make it the professor's fault for assigning it in the first place.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48 PM »

Spoken like a prize student, Veronica. We need more like you. Very Happy

Prize student, hated by my peers.

Can't win it all apparently. Shrug
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 02:06 AM »

Prize student, hated by my peers.

Can't win it all apparently. Shrug

I think you might have been one of my favourite students.
Not kidding. Smile
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 02:10 AM »

Thanks.

I may be in the minority but I actually like college. I mean that in the workload/academic sense, not the 'party on my parents' dime' sense.

Mostly because I don't party.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #66 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20 AM »

I loved college too, and I still love to learn.

I went to many a college party in my day, and they were all stupid fun. Can't honestly say I can remember most of my fellow revellers (but I still have the photos lol)

But as much as I really had fun, my true comfort level was studying and learning.

And it was all on my tab. My mum was a young widow.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #67 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34 AM »

Homework sucks, no doubt about that....especially holiday homework.
Being in Standard 10, our homework gets counted for our Formative Assessment, so there is no escape at all.
We have to do it for the sake of getting marks at least. I feel they load us with too much of homework and that is when it gets too much. My school is quite strict in this and they never give us second chances unless you have an understanding teacher who gives you some more time or by reducing the amount of homework in her subject.
But yeah, homework is kinda necessary, no matter how much I hate it. It also depends on the kind of homework you get. I hate it when we are studying some new, difficult chapter, and they give us homework of an entirely different subject. An example- We were learning Organic Chemistry and we had to read the next chapter and write an assignment on it for a minimum of 15 pages. What the f**k?

The isnt much time to even study for all the stupid tests they conduct every alternate week, so how can they expect us to do homework? They are literally restricting our time for various other activities not related to academics. High school is damn hectic and we have to work our ass off.
[ Last edit by ZARFEEN15 February 28, 2013, 05:39 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #68 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26 AM »

As someone who has set homework, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Teacher has to mark many more ' homeworks' than the students have to do. Having spent most evenings and weekends marking, you don't set unnecessary homework or tests, as it adds to your workload. So I would ask those of you who are grumbling to think who the tests and homework benefits, and at the end of the day who has the bigger work load!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #69 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12 AM »

So this thread has revealed that those under 18 mostly don’t like homework, and those who are over 18 support it.

Surprising results.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40 AM »

So this thread has revealed that those under 18 mostly don’t like homework, and those who are over 18 support it.

Surprising results.

In what way is that surprising?
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 12:05 PM »

I think that was sarcasm.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Hmmm...I thought he went mad for a sec.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19 PM »

As someone who has set homework, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Teacher has to mark many more ' homeworks' than the students have to do. Having spent most evenings and weekends marking, you don't set unnecessary homework or tests, as it adds to your workload. So I would ask those of you who are grumbling to think who the tests and homework benefits, and at the end of the day who has the bigger work load!
Are you referring to current curriculum, Michelle?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Do you agree with homework? « Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12 PM »

True now and in the past, I am still involved.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »