Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Dogs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Dogs

(Read 12374 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Dogs « Reply #495 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11 PM »

All you can do is be there for her, Elly, because it is the most horrible time.  She will certainly need a friend and maybe - after a little while - a puppy or perhaps a rescue dog.
Yes - I'll play it by ear.  We're going to catch up properly on Sat. 
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dogs « Reply #496 on: April 03, 2014, 08:15 PM »

Yes sometimes we have to make the big decision and it is hard to do, but we must think of the poor animal and the pain it is suffering. My old cairn Hamish was 16 years old too, his back end collapsed and he had kidney problems and it was a struggle for him to move. So we did the kind thing and put him out of all his pain. It was very hard for me but the right decision was made and he died in peace.
Oh mine to , it's so sad , but as you say the animal is the most important , and that they don't suffer, it's the hardest thing to do Frown
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dogs « Reply #497 on: April 03, 2014, 08:17 PM »

On a dog note - just got an email from a friend who's elderly dog has been diagnosed with a tumour.  Friend is devastated. I don't know what to say to make her feel better - probably nothing.  It may not be a human, but the dog was her companion.  URGH!
As everyone says Elly just be there for her, and tell her she will no when it's the right time, as hard as it is Frown
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Dogs « Reply #498 on: April 03, 2014, 09:16 PM »

hug  It was the kind thing to do.  I'm just a bit worried about my friend who is on her own and will find it hard to cope.   She's not the strongest of people at the best of times.

Sorry about your chum, Elly.

If she's on her own and not 'strong,' it sounds like she's projected all her love onto her dog, and that will probably make it even harder for her.

Best thing is just to hold her hand, nod and listen.

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Dogs « Reply #499 on: April 03, 2014, 09:20 PM »

Sorry about your chum, Elly.

If she's on her own and not 'strong,' it sounds like she's projected all her love onto her dog, and that will probably make it even harder for her.

Best thing is just to hold her hand, nod and listen.

Cheers, Linda.  hug
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Dogs « Reply #500 on: April 30, 2014, 11:54 PM »

Our bonny beautiful Benji Boy was put to sleep last night.

He came into our lives in 2002.. a wee rescued scrap at 11 weeks old. We had no idea what kind of dog he was, or what he would become.. except other doggie-owners we'd meet on our walks would say "He's gonna be a big boy.. look at the size of his feet!."

Well.. he did turn out to be a fairly big pooch, but his feet never grew any more. He grew into them.
At his peak he was just over 70lbs.

My hubby, son and I had mony an argument about getting a dog. They were so set against it. Normally with a family decision like this, we strive to make it unanimous.. but something inside of me really rebelled against them. I just Had To Have A Dog. Can't explain it, really. Once they realised just how serious I was, they grudgingly relented.. and then I found him and we drove to get him.
He was being fostered in a home with another 10 dogs. He was the baby.
When we arrived at the house, we were told to wait outside at the front door while they got him ready at the back. We waited an age.. then finally, the side gate was opened and round we went.

It was love at first sight.

We took him home that night, and never looked back.

Benji has been an incredible addition to our family life. We go camping a lot, and although he wasn't a great traveller (sickie) he never whined. I always gave him a Gravol pill before travel, and he would hunker down. He'd sit in the back of the truck while we got hitched up, and watch us under the shade of a tree with a bowl of water while we set up at our destination.

He loved the sun (just like his Mamma) and would lay his whole body out on the campsite roads (because the road surface was warmer than the grass.) He'd be so conked out that passing vehicles had to drive around him. In fact, more than once we were asked if our dog was dead! Not kidding.

He loved chasing squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks, bbq'd corn-on-the-cob, long walks in the countryside, wanted to meet anyone and everyone on walks (I've met and become friends with many people due to Benji on our walks,) licking the dishwasher when I was filling it, fetching balls, getting his tummy rubbed, basking in the warm sunshine, rubbing his whole body under certain types of bushes, getting his special spot on his back rubbed, watching TV between me and hubby on the (only) sofa he was allowed up on (because it was leather.)

He was scared of lightning, fireworks, sudden loud noises. I can't honestly say there was anything or anyone he didn't like.

His passing was very quiet and calm. We took him to our (wonderful) vet last night. He was given a sedative to calm him. It worked very well, and he was comfortably asleep within 15 mins. We left the room to pay the bill while he was given a catheter. When we came back in, he was still asleep. With our go-ahead, he was put to sleep forever while my husband, our son and myself stroked and spoke to him.

He passed peacefully.. in fact, he looked just like he did when he sunbathed on the camping roads, and people had to drive around him.

I know this is a long post, but I'm not in the habit of doing this. If you've read this far, then I thank you for sharing my Benji story with you. I know many of you get it when it comes to having a family pet.

Here he is... from a baby..to waiting for daddy to come home last week.. to the very last picture I took of him just an hour before, well..  you know..

* Benji xxx 046.JPG (655.58 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 3 times.)

* Benji xxx 050.JPG (781.06 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 5 times.)

* Benji xxx 008.JPG (748.8 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 2 times.)

* Benji xxx 055.JPG (724.66 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 3 times.)

* Benji xxx 040.JPG (755.39 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 2 times.)
[ Last edit by scotnadian April 30, 2014, 11:58 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Dogs « Reply #501 on: May 01, 2014, 12:08 AM »

Oh, Linda - so sorry... Frown xx
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Dogs « Reply #502 on: May 01, 2014, 12:20 AM »

So, so sorry Linda - hang on to the memories.   hug
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Dogs « Reply #503 on: May 01, 2014, 12:22 AM »

Linda i feel your pain love .so sorry but just think of all the happy memories you have of him.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Dogs « Reply #504 on: May 01, 2014, 12:26 AM »

Benji's dead :O What an amazing dog gone far too early. Hope you are ok Linda. Frown
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: Dogs « Reply #505 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27 AM »

So sorry to hear about Benji - he obviously was loved and brought great joy into you life.  My condolences to you and your family.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Dogs « Reply #506 on: May 01, 2014, 02:17 AM »

Sorry Linda: your pup was lovely and he clearly brought you and your family much joy. That's what matters. Best wishes.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Dogs « Reply #507 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53 AM »

I am so sorry Linda.  He was a lucky dog to have found you as so many do not.  my thoughts are with you and your family.  They do leave such a hole in one's life.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Dogs « Reply #508 on: May 01, 2014, 08:58 AM »

So sorry, it is always sad losing a member of the family. I always comfort myself by remembering these loved pets have been loved and cared for and have enjoyed a wonderful life and a peaceful death.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Dogs « Reply #509 on: May 01, 2014, 09:47 AM »

I am so,so sorry Linda Frown hug It's an awful thing to go through.

I wish there was something I could say to help!Just remember- you were lucky to have Benji,and he was SO lucky to have you and your family. It sounds like you enriched each other's lives so much. You gave him a wonderful life, filled with so much love.

Thank you for sharing your stories about him with us. I'll be thinking of you and Benji hug xx
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »