Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  English Traditions- Are there any? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

English Traditions- Are there any?

(Read 2829 times)
Scottie
World No 1

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #75 on: August 03, 2006, 12:37 PM »

How can population not be an influence on success???
Of course it is. I'm not saying it's the only reason why Scotland are crap at football, but it's one of the main ones along with poor facilities and coaching. Also clubs prefer to spend money on foreigners rather than youth.

People who say population isnt an excuse are from a largely populated country or area.

Trinidad and Tobago, and Togo. That was their first world cup and they were poor, and how many more do you think they'll qualify for????
What about USA, a couple of years ago they didnt even know what "proper football" was. Now they have a good team and are capable of beating some of the more established teams. Thats because they have a big population, meaning more people play football.

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #76 on: August 03, 2006, 12:51 PM »

Not really. It has become more popular there and more people have started playing the game since they hosted the world cup in 94. That must have been a huge influence in kids starting to play the game, and hence the national team becomes better and people are being more and more encouraged to play "soccer" rather than what they like to call football.

Although I disagree that they have a good team capable of beating top sides. They do alright in CONCACAF against the might of Honduras and Haiti. But when the world cup comes around and they have to play proper teams, they get stuffed everytime, as the latest world cup showed. Although to be fair they did draw with the eventual winners. The rise of football in USA has more to do with the 1994 world cup then their population size IMO. But thats only my opinion.

But that's beside the point. I disagree that just because X have a higher popuation than Y then X should be better at something. Yes of course its an influence, but just because one place has more people shouldn't, and doesn't mean they are better at something.

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 03, 2006, 12:54 PM ] IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #77 on: August 03, 2006, 01:08 PM »

if population is any indication india and china should be the best...
IP Logged
arka
Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #78 on: August 03, 2006, 01:13 PM »

if population is any indication india and china should be the best...

But we won one silver medal at the last Olympics and have not qualified for the footie world cup since 1950. And don't try to look up for India's results in the 1950 World Cup because we did not play for a rather ridiculous reason.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #79 on: August 03, 2006, 01:20 PM »

Hehe. Heard that story. I believe they qualified, but then refused to play as the powers that be wouldn't let them play with bare feet. They refused to wear boots, so didn't play Very Happy
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #80 on: August 03, 2006, 01:21 PM »

that is funny... and shows how good you can be with bare feet...
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #81 on: August 03, 2006, 01:28 PM »

I'm not saying it's the only reason why some nations dont succeed. However it has to be one of the main reasons.
If one team has 500 people to pick 11 from and another has 20 to pick from. The first team will have more options and more than likely better players.
With India and other nations perhaps they dont concentrate on football or olympic sports as much as they do Cricket or others. (Sorry Arka, I dont really know which sports India excells at!!  confused)

It's only my opinion, but i do believe that population matters.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #82 on: August 03, 2006, 01:30 PM »

Hehe. Heard that story. I believe they qualified, but then refused to play as the powers that be wouldn't let them play with bare feet. They refused to wear boots, so didn't play Very Happy

Great that! Actually Scotland haver qualified for the last 5 World Cups but FIFA wont let them play with 22 players rather than 11, soooooo they refused to play !!!!   Whistle Wink
IP Logged
arka
Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #83 on: August 03, 2006, 02:40 PM »

With India and other nations perhaps they dont concentrate on football or olympic sports as much as they do Cricket or others. (Sorry Arka, I dont really know which sports India excells at!!  confused)

Nothing major except in cricket.

India was easily the best hockey team once upon a time, winning six back to back Olympic golds. In case you follow hockey, you'll know of someone called Dhyan Chand, who is regarded as the greatest player to have ever played the game. He was so good that Hitler himself requested him to come and play for Germany and offered him a high post in the Wehrmacht after seeing him play in the 1936 Olympics. Surprised
Needless to say, he refused.

And India struggles to perform properly nowadays. And hockey is very popular out here, definitely more popular than it is in Britain or Germany. Clearly, population is not that important a factor. no

But who cares?  I support Britain in all sports. woohoo
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #84 on: August 03, 2006, 04:20 PM »

But who cares?  I support Britain in all sports. woohoo

Me Too!!!! :---) Well except when its Scotland v England or Ireland or Wales
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #85 on: August 03, 2006, 05:05 PM »

A greater Scottish tradition being not qualifying for World Cups.

Frown

Oi! I'll have you know we've qualified for 8 world cups since 1952! My Dad told me this fact during this world cup so I can't remember which year but there was one year back in the 60's or 70's where Scotland could bost being the only undefeated team in the whole world cup. No they did not win but they were knocked out at groups with two draws and a win on Goal difference! If you want to read some of the history of the Scottish team (that were actually a good side in the 70's and 80's) Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team
IP Logged
arka
Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #86 on: August 03, 2006, 05:13 PM »

Oi! I'll have you know we've qualified for 8 world cups since 1952! My Dad told me this fact during this world cup so I can't remember which year but there was one year back in the 60's or 70's where Scotland could bost being the only undefeated team in the whole world cup. No they did not win but they were knocked out at groups with two draws and a win on Goal difference! If you want to read some of the history of the Scottish team (that were actually a good side in the 70's and 80's) Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team

I know that Scotland were a good team and qualified regularly. Smile

I just said that to answer Andrew. Shootouts were introduced during Euro 1976 if I remember correctly, its not like England has gone out of every single tournament by losing the shootouts.....

IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #87 on: August 03, 2006, 05:16 PM »

But we won one silver medal at the last Olympics and have not qualified for the footie world cup since 1950. And don't try to look up for India's results in the 1950 World Cup because we did not play for a rather ridiculous reason.

In 1950 Scotland refused to go to the world cup as well.   
Thanks to wikipedia for that interesting fact!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #88 on: August 03, 2006, 05:18 PM »

Wimbledon, Royal Family, Morrice Dancing, Cream Tea, Football, Cricket, Robin Hood, First Parliament, Stonehenge, Pubs, Strawberries, Rain, Rover cars. Not really sure you'd call any of these traditions however. Just kind of what England's famous for.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: English Traditions- Are there any? « Reply #89 on: August 03, 2006, 05:19 PM »

It was 1978, where we beat Holland (3-2) but failed to make the knockout stages on goal difference Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »