Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Explosions at Boston marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Explosions at Boston marathon

(Read 2980 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #255 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04 PM »

I saw the father - very heart breaking. One son is already dead and the other is in critical condition and may die too. Even if he lives, there's no future for him. How would they go and live their life normally after such a tragedy? I wish they had never sent them abroad. A few lives would have been saved including those two. It's never a good idea to send young children abroad without the parents. The Uncle clearly wasn't good enough. I hope parents are taking notes.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #256 on: April 20, 2013, 08:06 PM »

"It's never a good idea to send young children abroad without the parents"

I'm so glad you deduced that from one situation. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #257 on: April 20, 2013, 08:12 PM »

"It's never a good idea to send young children abroad without the parents"

I'm so glad you deduced that from one situation. Rolling Eyes

It maybe one situation but there's a lot to learn. I can never dream my children growing up completely on their own when I am still alive. That's a bargain I would never make. But people are different I take it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #258 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56 PM »

I completely buy it. The older sibling seemed to have lost the plot after the divorce and the brothers were probably very close. He must have had a lot of influence on the younger one. In any case, I won't be very surprised if there's a bigger agenda behind it and if the older one was approached by a third party - whoever that maybe. He should have been alive but I doubt the truth would have ever come out.
Well if the younger brother dies the truth will never come out anyway unless there is some third party involved who can somehow be tracked down.

Anyway it's now been revealed that Dzhokhar carried on with his university routine and even attended a football party in the days following the bombings.  The really bizarre and scary thing though is that those who knew him have nothing but praise for him, whereas Tamerian seems to have been a bit of a misfit who claimed that he didn't have a single American friend and that he didn't understand Americans.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #259 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I find it far more chilling when husbands plot murders against their wives of many years. I've seen so many of them over the years. Real cold blooded murderers and complete adults too. 

I also understand their Aunt's point. She'd seen them 5 years ago when they were 21 and 14. Rest assured that 14 year old wasn't plotting anything like this back then. You have a couple of students living in your basement and judging by your comments from time to time, it seems you all have a very good relationship going on. So what if they move out now and 5 years from now, they commit something similar? I am sure you'd find it very hard to believe.
The aunt said the last time she'd seen them was 2005 when I watched her on CP24 yesterday. That's 8 years ago.

I do have a good relationship with my students, and of course I'd be shocked and horrified if they did something similar.. but unfortunately there's not much surprises me anymore.

I sometimes playfully shock my own mum with tales of my shenanigans when I was younger and still staying at home. She can't believe some of it.

Nobody can be sure of what goes on in a person's mind except that person.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #260 on: April 20, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Well if the younger brother dies the truth will never come out anyway unless there is some third party involved who can somehow be tracked down.

Anyway it's now been revealed that Dzhokhar carried on with his university routine and even attended a football party in the days following the bombings.  The really bizarre and scary thing though is that those who knew him have nothing but praise for him, whereas Tamerian seems to have been a bit of a misfit who claimed that he didn't have a single American friend and that he didn't understand Americans.

The damages had already been done by then so he could have not gone and carried out his daily activities. He wanted to make things look very normal and that's what they do anyway. I am sure he wasn't feeling the same inside whatever that might be.

I can see why Tamerian would be a misfit. He was probably a bit headed anyway. They were 9 and 15 when they first moved to US and the age 15 is a much more tender age than 9. It is hard to adjust a complete change and a cultural one at that age. I have a friend and she's from Russia though not Muslim (Catholic) and she still doesn't have one single Canadian friend and she too moved to Canada at age 15. Though she has a boyfriend but I am her only female friend. I can see that even these days after all these years, she's still having problems adjusting and feels lonely at times.

Anyway, Dzhokhar, on the other hand, by the look of his lifestyle had no problems adjusting the new society as he probably had no opinion one way or another at that age. But the brothers were close and he only had Tamerian to rely on as far as the parenting went and Tamerian was definitely not the right person at the time. He had his own problems and I don't think divorces are easy on anyone anyway. It's a very sad and tragic story anyway I look at it. I was 15 when my mum died and I was left with my sister who was 11 and my baby brother who was 7 at that time, so I know how delicate situations can be and how much they needed their parents. My father was always away as he was an engineer and a bit of a workaholic, so I had to do all the parenting myself. It wasn't easy but I certainly wasn't going to let anyone else do it. I needed to be there for them every step of the way. So obviously, this is a hard story to digest and should be for any parent.  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #261 on: April 21, 2013, 12:44 AM »

^ EJ I'm very sorry to learn that you were left to cope with that situation at such a young age, especially as I know that when I was 15 I couldn't have imagined what my life would be like had not both my parents been there for me, even although I was at boarding school, and had been from the age of nine.

My maternal grandmother was left to 'mother' her three younger brothers at the age of thirteen, which must have been very difficult, but at least she had the advantage of being able to leave school, and also their father was around all the time.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #262 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50 AM »

It's alright. Boarding school must have been quite an experience. We had maids so didn't have to compromise school.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #263 on: April 21, 2013, 10:07 AM »

Just watched the start of the London marathon and the remembrance of Boston is touching. Terrorism seeks to tear us apart but acts of terrorism bring us together as a people who love and support each other. A number of people now raising money for victims of Boston today.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #264 on: April 21, 2013, 06:45 PM »

It's alright. Boarding school must have been quite an experience. We had maids so didn't have to compromise school.
It was, but one which I actually enjoyed, probably because as an only child I liked the company, except when I really needed a hug and a shoulder to cry on.  Having to keep emotions stifled was pretty hard and certainly not very healthy. 

Unfortunately my Gran didn't have the luxury of maids, so it must have been tough going without all the mod cons we have today.  I can remember when I was a child, before we acquired a washing-machine, seeing my Mum doing the family wash using the scrubbing board and putting everything through a wringer, with me helping to hold the sheets, something which I thought it was fun!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #265 on: April 21, 2013, 07:28 PM »

It was, but one which I actually enjoyed, probably because as an only child I liked the company, except when I really needed a hug and a shoulder to cry on.  Having to keep emotions stifled was pretty hard and certainly not very healthy.  

Unfortunately my Gran didn't have the luxury of maids, so it must have been tough going without all the mod cons we have today.  I can remember when I was a child, before we acquired a washing-machine, seeing my Mum doing the family wash using the scrubbing board and putting everything through a wringer, with me helping to hold the sheets, something which I thought it was fun!

Don't get me wrong but I never understand why parents would put their children through boarding schools. You turned out just fine though with being level headed and all. I am always against it but perhaps that gives a chance to really grow up. And I might just be a bit of over protective nature.  

The 2 maids that we had took care most of the household stuff and one of our Aunts, who was still single at the time, would come and stay with us from time to time after my mum passed away, so that definitely helped. But still I had to take major decisions when it came to certain things and also, my dad was all lost without my mum, so I had to take care of him as well whenever he was home. I loved them all very much so I enjoyed doing it very much. That was never the hardest part.

Today's life is much easier than ever before - no doubt but then there are other complications due to fast nature of life. More divorces now than ever before. I don't think it ever gets easy, really.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #266 on: April 22, 2013, 05:39 PM »

A few things about the infamous brothers. So sad that they would take such a dark path when they had so much potential.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acquaintances of the brothers, now dredging their memories, find themselves short on clues. Many say both were likable and well-loved in their neighborhood, not loners driven away by society.

Vasquez had been friends with Tamerlan and one of his sisters in high school. They would hang out together at cafes and talk about boxing, Tamerlan's real passion. Vasquez also coached the younger brother in soccer at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School.

Vasquez said he has "very positive memories, very positive interactions." "The crime doesn't fit the memories."

Clearly, if the allegations against the brothers are true, something changed. Vasquez thinks someone must have "got in his (Tamerlan's) ear and he passed that along probably to whoever he could recruit" -- in this case, he believes, the younger brother.

"In what I've seen of their personalities, the brain behind this is the older brother," Vasquez said. "When it comes to the two of them, he would lead and the little brother followed."

McCarthy ranks him as one of the best fighters he's ever trained. He won the open class heavyweight division for the New England Golden Gloves. The kid could've taken a gold medal at the Olympics, he said, but his immigration status prevented him from trying out for the U.S. Olympic team.

"I would say, 'Geeze, I've got an Olympic champion but he can't qualify,' " McCarthy said. "That was his only downfall -- the fact he wasn't a citizen. ... He had the gumption and everything to win it all. He was fearless."

At the gym, the younger brother, then just 10, would tag along and do calisthenics with Tamerlan. "He was a cute little kid," McCarthy said.

He recalled registering Tamerlan at the Golden Gloves. "While he was waiting in line, he saw a piano and was playing classical music like it was Symphony Hall," McCarthy said. "Everybody in USA Boxing heard it, and they went in there and they were amazed."

Boxers in his gym typically come from troubled backgrounds -- broken families, crime-ridden neighborhoods, absentee fathers. That wasn't the case with Tamerlan who had a solid family support system. His mother, father and younger brother would come to the fights. He went undefeated in his two years with McCarthy.

McCarthy sighed. Tamerlan was such a likable person; the only people who didn't like him were the guys he beat to a pulp in the ring.

"He was just a young kid then, and that's about all I can say as far as that goes. I can only say nice things about him."

If Tamerlan was the reserved one, Dzhokhar -- known as "Jahar" -- was the outgoing kid, always quick with a joke. That was one of his goals, his friends say, to make them laugh. The only time they'd seen him mad was if he lost a wrestling match. Even that was rare. He was an all-star, 135-pound wrestler who placed in the state finals.

One friend remembered seeing how happy Dzhokhar was at the TD Bank Garden arena last year when he became an American citizen. It was an especially patriotic day for those in attendance because the ceremony was held on September 11, 2012, a date that seems tragically odd in retrospect.

"Right now, it's like a big puzzle and we're trying to put pieces together," said one family friend who asked not to be identified.

Dzhokhar was kind-hearted, too. When he wasn't wrestling in high school, he volunteered at an after-school program to help kids with autism and Down syndrome.

"He was a funny comical guy. He had me laughing a lot," said Peter Tenzin, who co-captained the wrestling team with Dzhokhar. "After wrestling practice, he would rather go down and spend time with kids with learning disabilities than relax and go home."

Like so many in the family's neighborhood, Tenzin faults the older brother -- saying he likely brainwashed the friend they knew. "All I can say is I think his brother put him up to it," Tenzin said. "There's no way in heck that he would do it. Mentally, he's just not that kind of guy."

"He loved his brother and looked up to him, and that's why I think (Tamerlan) put him up to this."

"To see two brothers, both carrying leadership traits, flip the switch and jump into something so evil is astonishing," said Luis Vasquez. "It's not what we remember of them."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/21/us/tsarnaev-brothers-relationship/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #267 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48 PM »

^ I still don't know what to make of it all, except that it seems more and more likely that Dzhokhar was led into this by his older brother - but did he go along with him willingly, or was he coerced into it?  From accounts I've read it seems that he practically worshipped his brother, so if he was weak-willed enough then it was probably easy for Tamerlan to put him up to it.

Now of course they're saying we may never know because Dzhokhar has a serious throat injury which (a) could still be fatal, and (b) that if does recover he will have lost the power of speech - which latter doesn't make sense because surely he'd be able to give written or typed answers to police questions?  The real problem being getting the truth out of him in the first place.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #268 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Doesn't matter. The Feds will probably just stick a needle in him since it's doubtful he has any knowledge of other terrorists or what, if any, organizations his brother was a part of.

I hate to think this will cause Russia to rule with even more of an iron fist on the Caucasus region. Those people have been through enough wars lately.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Explosions at Boston marathon « Reply #269 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22 PM »

Reading about a lot of conspiracy theories, speculations etc. the last few days. One conspiracy theory says, it wasn’t the body of the brother but someone else’s which basically suggests a staged event if true. Looks like Zohar, the younger brother, was shot in 4 different places but 1 was caused by himself when he tried to commit suicide while he was in that boat.

Anyway, we can definitely point fingers to any specific direction we want but it won’t be fair to ourselves. Recently I looked into quite a few video games (and played a few too) and all of them massively designed just to kill and destroy your ‘enemies’ – if you are in the West then the East is the target and vice versa.  And then I was spending some time with a 2 and 1/2 year old boy and was playing Leggos and I noticed how much he was attracted to the weapon than the other leggos that weren’t weapons. I found it alarming. And also even on TV, in every drama or even sitcoms, they tend to demonize one character (or more) and make it their target. The innocence is long gone and it’s all about killing and blowing off your ‘enemies’ arms and legs etc. these days. Very much eye for an eye attitude or approach. You can’t tell that the kids aren’t getting ideas from these shows. In fact, before 9/11, there were a series of bombings in mid-west and apparently the idea was taken from the movie Fight Club.

The biggest agenda will always be instilling fear in everyday life by creating chaos and then gaining control over the same mass. It's always about who wants to control whom.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »