Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos

(Read 5789 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #390 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11 PM »

Mark, I'm 99% sure they won't cancel flights just to clear the backlog. I have read that when flights resume, they'll be allowed to use the airports 24 hours a day till they clear the backlog.

24 hours a day!  Wow those people in the flight path are not going to get a whole lot of sleep!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #391 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20 PM »

Ooooohh! UK airspace and airports reopening from 10pm.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #392 on: April 20, 2010, 09:23 PM »

Ooooohh! UK airspace and airports reopening from 10pm.
Thank Christ.   If my mother doesn't get on her trip, you will find me hanging from the rafters....
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #393 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29 PM »

Where is she just now?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #394 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32 PM »

Where is she just now?
She's at home, Allan.  She was meant to spend Christmas with my brother in the States, but the snow scuppered that.  The trip was re-scheduled, and now this.  She's a difficult woman, and I'm not looking forward to the backlash if she doesn't get away.  Frown
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #395 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37 PM »

Priority is probably with people travelling back to Britain. Think
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #396 on: April 20, 2010, 09:40 PM »

Priority is probably with people travelling back to Britain. Think
Dunno.  I've heard the priority lies with people who are travelling when the airlines are up and working.... Who knows...
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #397 on: April 20, 2010, 09:46 PM »

Yeah, the priority on outward flights will be with the people who have booked for that particular day.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #398 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Priority will always be with whoever was booked on that flight. BA actually asked that anyone who's booked for this week and doesn't need to fly should cancel so that BA can give their place to someone who's been waiting a few days.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #399 on: April 20, 2010, 10:26 PM »

Mark, I'm 99% sure they won't cancel flights just to clear the backlog. I have read that when flights resume, they'll be allowed to use the airports 24 hours a day till they clear the backlog.
Great, thanks!
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #400 on: April 20, 2010, 10:28 PM »

Look at my previous post - BA's request only makes sense if people on flights already will keep their places.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #401 on: April 20, 2010, 10:33 PM »

OK Smile
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #402 on: April 20, 2010, 11:05 PM »

For people interested in the mechanism behind Eyjafjhallajokull, see here. The comments from Eric Diaz and Patrick Lockerby are enlightening.
[ Last edit by boogers April 20, 2010, 11:11 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #403 on: April 20, 2010, 11:26 PM »

what you describe, boogers , doesn't produce ash but a thick black, oily smoke

Really? I thought the trouble was being caused by multiple phreatic eruptions? ie. this dispersal is driven by the flash vaporisation of surface water into steam.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #404 on: April 21, 2010, 12:59 AM »

Really? I thought the trouble was being caused by multiple phreatic eruptions? ie. this dispersal is driven by the flash vaporisation of surface water into steam.
Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what you're talking about.  Maybe you could explain it in simple language ...? Smile

There has to be some humour in all this.  A friend of mine who's trying to get back to his job in Norway from a holiday in Portugal vowed that, as a result of some unhappy experience, he would never, ever, ever, fly with Ryanair again.  He now finds that the only airline which can help him is - Ryanair. lol
[ Last edit by Aileen April 21, 2010, 01:14 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »