Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos

(Read 5624 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « on: April 15, 2010, 10:10 AM »

All flights in the UK will be cancelled mid-day due to a volcanic cloud of ash coming over the UK from Iceland Think

[noembed]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm[/noembed]
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11 AM »

Woah! Glued to to TV with news on this volcanic ash cloud.  shocking

Wonder if it will effect us on the ground.  confused  Think
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:12 AM »

All flights in the UK will be cancelled mid-day due to a volcanic cloud of ash coming over the UK from Iceland Think

[noembed]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm[/noembed]

Yes ... was just checking out parking up there and got that info on their website!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14 AM »

Let's hope for some apocalyptic scenes outside Very Happy
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:34 AM »

^^So what's the betting that there will be absolute chaos in airports tomorrow due to todays cancelled flights? Tomorrow as in the day I'm flying from Edinburgh to Heathrow! Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05 AM »

I suggest that you go down to London on the train instead. It's will be just a quick as trying to fly down.  Think
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:06 AM »

If there's going to be ash everywhere I need to cover the garden furniture which has been re-finished!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:10 AM »

Re cloud of ash ....look at this ............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7592774/Volcanic-ash-cloud-spreading-towards-London-forecast.html

IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44 AM »

According to BBC news radio is shouldn't bother or harm us lot down here.  Its 3 miles up.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45 AM »

Could be a nice red sunset, apparently. I'll enjoy that in the garden with a beer. Smile
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09 PM »

OMG!! Not only am I INSANELY excited about this Icelandic Death Cloud of Ash, but it turns out that my friend was on the last flight out if Iceland last night!! They flew literally over the cloud if ash!! Apparently they were running small flights to the volcano to see it and they were on the last commercial flight before they decided it was too dangerous! She has PICTURES!! I'll try and nick them and post them here if anyone's interested!

jumping-w00t
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:10 PM »

According to BBC news radio is shouldn't bother or harm us lot down here.  Its 3 miles up.
What goes up must come down!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:21 PM »

They are saying this volcano could potentially remain active for months and years... so this might be a reoccurring problem. I'm surprised BA shares are not taking a hit, this could lose the airlines so much money if it is a long term problem.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:38 PM »

Ash this potent will definately hang around for months visably and who knows how long on non-visable level. It depends immeasurably on the direction of the wind, am I right in thinking it's blowing west over the top of Scotland and northern Europe, as in into the sea?
And without a doubt the six hour stoppage of air travel is very hopeful, this is the start, not the end. On a long term level, it's unlikely to carry on repeatedly on this scale for years, because at the moment it's blowing out old ash, and if it is still active when all that's gone, it will start erupting lava, which obviously won't cause air travel problems, so perhaps that's why BA are still in business. Also no one really has any idea how much this will actually affect air travel worldwide, obviously places like Australia are unlikely to have many problems, and also there's not a lot they can do really, if it's not safe to fly, it's not safe to fly.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44 PM »

I was saying the volcano could remain active for years, no idea about how long it would continue producing ash clouds but if you are right then that part would not last years which is good.

Although globally air travel will be fine, BA won't be able to fly from here to other countries while this ash is over the UK so I would have thought that would cause a serious impact. Think
[ Last edit by Mark April 15, 2010, 12:53 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »