Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos

(Read 5486 times)
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Well if the ash has blown north of Scotland, then I don't think it should be the biggest of problems because most of BA's flights are probably at least someway southward, so I think it would only be flights northwards that would be a problem, assuming the wind doesn't change and blow it southward, although if it blows it directly south from Iceland itself it shouldn't be a huge problem either because their is a corridor of sea directly from Iceland the the South Pole, but obviously it all depends on many factors, most of which are unknown at this point.

On another note, my friend says that Top Gear were there filming (and potentially still are) so that could make for an AMAZING episode!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01 PM »

No ash to be seen in Glasgow.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 01:23 PM »

Haha well I don't think it's got there quite yet, it's still going upwards I believe.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:29 PM »

OMG!! Not only am I INSANELY excited about this Icelandic Death Cloud of Ash, but it turns out that my friend was on the last flight out if Iceland last night!! They flew literally over the cloud if ash!! Apparently they were running small flights to the volcano to see it and they were on the last commercial flight before they decided it was too dangerous! She has PICTURES!! I'll try and nick them and post them here if anyone's interested!

jumping-w00t

Yeah definately!!
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31 PM »

No ash to be seen in Glasgow.

Blue sky here lol
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 01:43 PM »

Blue sky here lol
It's cloudy here... Uh-oh it seems to have bypassed the north and is targetting the south!! If it goes straight down southwards, Ireland would probably be the worst affected actually Think
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 01:48 PM »

Well theres a few clouds but they are white and fluffy and ... normal.  But who knows ....
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 02:58 PM »

Well if the ash has blown north of Scotland, then I don't think it should be the biggest of problems because most of BA's flights are probably at least someway southward, so I think it would only be flights northwards that would be a problem
This morning I saw the visual projections of the cloud and it showed it covering all of the south later on, thus BA cannot fly out of the UK regardless of direction.
[ Last edit by Mark April 15, 2010, 03:01 PM ] IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04 PM »

This morning I saw the visual projections of the cloud for today, it will cover all of the south later and thus BA cannot fly out of the UK regardless of direction.
In that case then yes, BA are probably going to take a hit... Especially because they probably have to have staff in and stuff just in case I guess, but then I don't know an awful lot about airport operations Very Happy
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 03:06 PM »

This morning I saw the visual projections of the cloud and it showed it covering all of the south later on, thus BA cannot fly out of the UK regardless of direction.

There's been nothing showing up here.  The sky is clear, apart from a few clouds, and the sun shining.  I wonder how thick it is and if it is really visible?  Maybe it just passed us by ...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 03:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm wondering whether we'll see it at all.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 03:10 PM »

^Very amazing, would like to see them if you get them Smile

I suggest that you go down to London on the train instead. It's will be just a quick as trying to fly down.  Think

Yeah but I will cost me quite a bit to go by train booking this late Frown So I'll wait and see what happens, if the worst comes to worst then I'll get either a refund or flights some other time Shrug I'm only visiting a friend for the weekend after all, wouldn't be really drastic if it's postponed for a couple of weeks.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 03:23 PM »

Well at least your journey isn't the most urgent.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 03:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm wondering whether we'll see it at all.
There's been nothing showing up here.  The sky is clear, apart from a few clouds, and the sun shining.  I wonder how thick it is and if it is really visible?  Maybe it just passed us by ...
This is really thick, very fine ash, I'm not sure you can 'miss' it... I guess maybe if it's up high enough and the sky is cloudy, maybe you wouldn't notice it... I'm not really sure how much it's spread out... This is sooo exciting! What if it blocks out the sun!?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Eyjafjallajökull volcano causes travel chaos « Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42 PM »

People in Iceland have experienced the sky go dark but it might be different circumstances for them... let's hope we get something exciting Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »