Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Free will 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Free will

(Read 8418 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Thanks Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Free will « Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Yeah, it's not something that's going to make you feel good. I'm an atheist, a nihilist and I don't believe in free will. From the outside it sounds like an utterly depressing world view, and it might very well be if I was always aware of the truth of our circumstances.

I'll use my standard analogy to explain how I feel. It's like watching a movie. You know it isn't real, but you still lose yourself in the plot and become invested in the characters. That's how I view life. I don't consciously embrace the illusion, but I happily lose myself in it most of the time.

It is an utterly depressing world view- well at least I believe in a joyful 'illusion' Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Free will « Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Well, I'm going to use my "free will" to choose  not to believe in the theory that there is no such thing as "free will"......
Hope that's not a double negative...Wink
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16 PM »

It is an utterly depressing world view- well at least I believe in a joyful 'illusion' Smile

It may be to you, but I'm certainly not depressed. I simply accept inconvenient truths, rather than pretend that life is so full of purpose and meaning.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Free will « Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17 PM »

It may be to you, but I'm certainly not depressed. I simply accept inconvenient truths, rather than pretend that life is so full of purpose and meaning.

Whereas I would say that I accept inconvenient truths (for some people) that there is purpose, reason and consequence to our lives :p
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Well, I'm going to use my "free will" to choose  not to believe in the theory that there is no such thing as "free will"......
Hope that's not a double negative...Wink

That's not you using free will. That's the combination of your genes and environment dictating your world view. If you really want to challenge what I'm suggesting, I could sit here and poke holes in every argument you have to the contrary.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Inconvenient? I wish there was a God for the sake of an afterlife.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21 PM »

Whereas I would say that I accept inconvenient truths (for some people) that there is purpose, reason and consequence to our lives :p

But you're not accepting an inconvenient truth. Why would anyone think the above is inconvenient.

You seem unwilling to actually look at the evidence and assess it objectively.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Inconvenient? I wish there was a God for the sake of an afterlife.

Most people enjoy the idea of eternal life, purpose and meaning. Hazel isn't making much sense by suggesting that these notions are inconvenient.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Free will « Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27 PM »

Most people enjoy the idea of eternal life, purpose and meaning. Hazel isn't making much sense by suggesting that these notions are inconvenient.

I meant that some people i.e. all those who don't want to accept the reality of God, find the reality of God and Jesus death and Resurrection  inconvenient to their world view.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28 PM »

I meant that some people i.e. all those who don't want to accept the reality of God, find the reality of God and Jesus death and Resurrection  inconvenient to their world view.

I don't find it inconvenient. I find it implausible based on logic and evidence.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Free will « Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34 PM »

I don't find it inconvenient. I find it implausible based on logic and evidence.

But I find it plausible based on logic and evidence and so we remain at an impasse Smile
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Free will « Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »

But I find it plausible based on logic and evidence and so we remain at an impasse Smile

But you never provide any evidence or logic for your belief. But let's keep this to free will.

What makes you think that you have it?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Free will « Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45 PM »

James, you,ve got too much time on your hands. Very Happy
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Free will « Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03 PM »

But you never provide any evidence or logic for your belief. But let's keep this to free will.

What makes you think that you have it?

I'm not actually going to argue this with you. Because I can't provide empirical stats, neurological printouts proving free will etc and so you won't be happy. Also I feel utterly crap tonight and so able to wind you up but not to be sensible Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »