Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Gardening 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Gardening

(Read 1525 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Gardening « Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:40 AM »

I'm doing something that is apparently frowned upon in the gardening circles which is growing trees in containers such as the Norway Spruce and Fraser Fir which are meant to grow huge.

I wanted a small privacy wall 2-3 meters high that could handle strong winds, and saw those trees reduced from £30 to £2.50 each so bought a few for that purpose.

Not a good idea cos 1) high maintenance in terms of watering and feeding 2) will hate such an environment so will either sulk or make a bolt for it ie grow so quickly that, unless your pots are mega, will keep tipping them over.
BTW u can grow small trees in pots but generally they don't like it

@Grabcopy
Phui! Gardening is an all year round hobby, especially useful in the "Andy Murray Off Season." Agree re Foxgloves though, my garden is full of them and bees love 'em. thumb up
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Gardening « Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43 AM »

Not a good idea cos 1) high maintenance in terms of watering and feeding 2) will hate such an environment so will either sulk or make a bolt for it ie grow so quickly that, unless your pots are mega, will keep tipping them over.
BTW u can grow small trees in pots but generally they don't like it
But it was such a bargain so perhaps worth a try.

Know of any plants that are all season and wind resistant that can grow 2-3 meters high?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Gardening « Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53 AM »

My son grows Bamboo in pots, some are way too vigorous and keeping them in pots keeps them in order. naughty
R u restricted to growing in pots anyway?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Gardening « Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54 AM »

My son grows Bamboo in pots, some are way too vigorous and keeping them in pots keeps them in order. naughty
R u restricted to growing in pots anyway?
Yes because it's on a terrace with wooden decking.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Gardening « Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 12:06 PM »

I would recommend bamboo then, son has beauties with golden stems that grow at least two metres and are very pretty to watch swaying in the wind and rustling. There's a very vigorous fast growing one but it would attempt to break free from your pots in two minutes.
But again would emphasise, growing anything large in a pot is in a completely wrong environment and will need loads of watering and TLC. I have a largish- 2 metres, Bay tree outside my front door in a massive pot. Apparently, in Summer it needs 2 gallons of water a day no wonder the poor thing always looks so miserable.  shocking
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Gardening « Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 12:09 PM »

Bamboo sounds like a great idea, thanks. Apparently this type is good for pots: http://www.scottishbamboo.com/Fargesia_Rufa.htm
[ Last edit by Mark February 25, 2013, 12:15 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Gardening « Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28 PM »

Check out: Nandina Domestica( Heavenly Bamboo)- semi- evergreen with leaves that change colour and if your balcony is warm, red fruits up to 2 metres
Black bamboo, my  favourite but slow growing and pricey
Arundaria
or a Miscanthus.
But go to a decent garden centre and have a good look. They'll all be in pots so you'll have a really good idea of what you're getting.
Enjoy....you won't be the oldest there either, this kind of hobby really takes off in a recession thumb up

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Gardening « Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 12:31 PM »

There's a few things I need to consider when choosing: Wind resistent, lots of direct sunlight, in a container, and 3 meters high.

Some of these bamboos go very high, is it perfectly fine to chop the tops off these? I know with some plants that is very unhealthy.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Gardening « Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54 PM »

Bamboos would be ideal Mark.    Fargesia I have grown in a pot in my last garden - it's probably still going strong - but Nandina Domestica didn't work in what was a very windy garden.   Better to buy something that grows to a height you want rather than lop the tops off.   One of my very favourite plants is the Himalayan Poppy, partly because of the beautiful big blue flowers and also because it likes shade, cool and damp.    It grows well in Scotland!!!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Gardening « Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Oh well, I now need to get rid of these 6 trees sitting here. Me and my bargains.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Gardening « Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 04:42 PM »

Yes Ilovandy Himalayan Poppy is beautiful my neighbour had som and they were beautiful maybe our climate is similar to Nepal and the area around there.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Gardening « Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53 AM »

What exactly do you do that takes that much time?

Just takes me a second to water some stuff and I'm done lol
^^ Feeding, weeding, mulching and pruning. Feeding takes ages as I have to use 3 different types of feed as I have plants that require different types of fertiliser, and I have a lot of shrubs.
For the best seasonal plant I will go with Pieris Japonica 'Mountain Fire' it has green leaves, but when new growth appears the leaves a red, and then a glossy chestnut brown, and it has small white flowers from February to April. So something new is happening almost all the time with this shrub and it needs no pruning at all.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Gardening « Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06 PM »

I have a beautiful Daphne shrub the flower is beautiful and is very fragrant. This year for some reason it did not flower. I think I will have to replant it and feed it again. I did feed it but no flowers this year I miss it because the fragrance is beautiful.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Gardening « Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Spring is coming folks  yay
Just off to read my gardening books....oh joy  thumb up
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Gardening « Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Spring is coming folks  yay
Just off to read my gardening books....oh joy  thumb up

Do you have a favourite gardener bbh?   Mine was and always will be Geoff Hamilton.

Oh dear!!!    Improper quote.    Could be in trouble with EJ.

Mod NoticeFixed broken quote.
[ Last edit by Mark February 27, 2013, 01:54 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »