Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Google 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Google

(Read 3315 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Google « on: March 20, 2007, 01:43 AM »

Mod NoticeThis thread has been merged with several others so that we have one thread for all Google related news.

I thought this was pretty funny and interesting Smile

AN ECOLOGY site claims that Google could save the world a lot of lecky by changing its web design.

All Google has to do is change its home page from a electricity sucking white colour, to a more eco-friendly black.

According to TreeHugger.com, here, a cathode ray tube (CRT) monitor uses about 74 watts to display an all white web page, but only uses 59 watts to display an all black page.

Said that there are a lot of CRT monitors out there, which means that they waste energy displaying white backgrounds.

If Google, which gets about 200 million queries a day, displays each query for about 10 seconds, it means that it will burn 550,000 hours every day on desktops.

A shift to a black background will save a total of 15 watts. If a quarter of the monitors in the world are CRTs, and at 10 cents a kilowatt-hour, that's about $75,000 a year.
[ Last edit by Mark April 03, 2009, 11:53 AM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Google « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:55 AM »

Go black with white text?  lol Lead the way mark!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Google « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:56 AM »

Here's what black Google would look like. yuk
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Google « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 02:24 AM »

I like it! lol
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Google « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:44 AM »

I do like it! And it saves money
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Google « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 06:37 AM »

Too depressing, I want my computer and its internetpages white!
IP Logged
American Twist
Challenger Level

Yo soy . . . soy un faaaauno!

Re: Google « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:05 AM »

Google should create a Black Google option, so people can use it if they choose. 
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Google « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:11 AM »

Google should create a Black Google option, so people can use it if they choose. 
It wouldn't be really worth it as probably almost everyone who uses Google would never try and set preferences for it Think
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Google « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:01 AM »

If it saves that much money and electricity I don't see why they don't! It looks pretty cool I think.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Google « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:26 AM »

This just in: Google will soon have a cool new feature that will change Google's appearance based on the weather.

SAN FRANCISCO - Sprucing up its famously plain Web site, Google Inc. is offering a new option that plants its Internet search box in panoramic settings that change with the time of day and the outside weather.

The colorful graphics to be unveiled Tuesday represent the latest bit of pizzaz to be served up on Google's home page as the Mountain View-based company caters to the digerati who want to customize everything from their cell phones to their computers.

With this change there will almost certainly be the option to have Google customised to be black.
[ Last edit by Mark March 20, 2007, 10:29 AM ] IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

Re: Google « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58 PM »

http://www.google.com/tisp/ w00t

As usual, the Google April Fool's joke is superb....
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Google « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:05 PM »

Internet through sewage pipes? I want it!

[ Last edit by Mark April 01, 2007, 01:05 PM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: Google « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 05:02 PM »

The News of the World had an article suggesting that a revolutionary new way to play darts had been approved. It was a square darts board, and they had a pic of Phil Taylor with it saying how good it was. lol
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Google « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50 PM »

Did you read the FAQ's?

Does my net access have to be wireless?
Not necessarily, but our user studies have found that without wireless connectivity, there was considerable "commode congestion" in an average 2.5-person household whose one bathroom typically can provide a comfortable workspace for just one user at a time. We therefore strongly recommend using the wireless connection to alleviate potential multi-user congestion and encourage widespread "couch computing."

lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Google « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 01:38 PM »

The sounds of the planet are to be linked to Google Earth to enable users to hear what a place sounds like, as well as what it used to sound like.

Bernie Krause has spent 40 years collecting the sounds, and his company Wild Sanctuary has accumulated over 3,500 hours of recordings, covering everything from the cracking of glaciers to midnight in the jungle.

The enhancement to Google Earth will be available for download following its launch at the Where 2.0 conference on 29 May.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/10/noisy_google/
Sounds like fun yay
[ Last edit by Mark May 10, 2007, 01:38 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »