Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  How superstitious are you? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: How superstitious are you?  (Read 1727 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 12:46 AM »

I notice Andy didn't do his usual thing about not shaving during the LA tournament ... Think
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #106 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19 AM »

We have taken over the upstairs of our building at work, and now have stairs to go up and down.  Blow me, if some staff started up the stairs whilst I was on my way down the other day naughty

From the internet somewhere:-

It is bad luck to cross another person on the stairs (comes from years gone by when men used to carry swords. If you crossed each other on the stairs then the other guy could stab you in the back).

It's like in weddings, where the bride stands on the left of the groom and the best man right by his side so that they could grab their swords. Apparently, way back then it was quite common for brides to be kidnapped on their wedding day.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #107 on: August 06, 2010, 01:55 AM »

Also, men used to walk on the right side of women, so they could draw their swords easily.  When swords went out of fashion, men changed over to the left so's they could protect their lady-friends from dirt, etc, from the road.  I have a male friend who still does the gentlemanly thing and insists on walking on my left.  Gets really annoying though when crossing to the other side of the road or changing direction.  Still, manners maketh man. Smile
[ Last edit by Aileen August 06, 2010, 02:01 AM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #108 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49 PM »

Also, men used to walk on the right side of women, so they could draw their swords easily.  When swords went out of fashion, men changed over to the left so's they could protect their lady-friends from dirt, etc, from the road.  I have a male friend who still does the gentlemanly thing and insists on walking on my left.  Gets really annoying though when crossing to the other side of the road or changing direction.  Still, manners maketh man. Smile

A lot of my male friends do that too tender Took a bit of getting used to though lol They found me a real pain though as a lot of the guys would work out the route for walking home to make sure all the girls had a guy to see them safely home tender and I was always the one that waved them off and sent them off with the other girls who actually needed walking home lol

However, a couple of relationships started that way, with all the time it took for the guy to walk them home  Whistle Not that I'm a matchmaker at all lol

IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #109 on: August 07, 2010, 02:57 PM »

You can match me up with a nice gentleman if you wish Hazel, I have trouble picking guys out myself lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #110 on: August 07, 2010, 03:04 PM »

You can match me up with a nice gentleman if you wish Hazel, I have trouble picking guys out myself lol

Trouble is I left them all in Aberdeen Rolling Eyes and just discovered that one of my ex-flatmates from uni who lives close to me (apart from for the last 5 months when he's been in NZ) is moving back to Aberdeen in Oct Frown
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #111 on: August 07, 2010, 03:07 PM »

Awwwwww that sucks Frown
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #112 on: August 07, 2010, 03:09 PM »

Awwwwww that sucks Frown

I'll just need to find a job in Aberdeen Rolling Eyes I wish Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #113 on: August 07, 2010, 09:27 PM »

A lot of my male friends do that too tender Took a bit of getting used to though lol They found me a real pain though as a lot of the guys would work out the route for walking home to make sure all the girls had a guy to see them safely home tender and I was always the one that waved them off and sent them off with the other girls who actually needed walking home lol

However, a couple of relationships started that way, with all the time it took for the guy to walk them home  Whistle Not that I'm a matchmaker at all lol
I'm delighted to learn that good manners do still exist amongst the younger generation. Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #114 on: August 07, 2010, 09:33 PM »

I'm delighted to learn that good manners do still exist amongst the younger generation. Smile

Yep yes It's no surprise that I keep them around and adopted them all as my children lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #115 on: August 07, 2010, 10:23 PM »

Yep yes It's no surprise that I keep them around and adopted them all as my children lol
Sorry - realise I sounded just like my mother there ... "When I was your age, etc." ... Urghhh! Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #116 on: August 07, 2010, 10:49 PM »

Sorry - realise I sounded just like my mother there ... "When I was your age, etc." ... Urghhh! Smile

Haha at least you have the excuse of age Smile I already sound like that at 23 lol
To explain the 'children' comment Smile I unofficially and then officially through our CU adopt a fresher plan, adopted many of the younger students in the Christian Union Smile
Actually I fed most the CU for a good part of 5 years so I was unofficial mother to pretty much everyone lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #117 on: August 08, 2010, 12:31 AM »

Haha at least you have the excuse of age Smile I already sound like that at 23 lol
To explain the 'children' comment Smile I unofficially and then officially through our CU adopt a fresher plan, adopted many of the younger students in the Christian Union Smile
Actually I fed most the CU for a good part of 5 years so I was unofficial mother to pretty much everyone lol
Thanks for the explanation. Smile  I really wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to - the manners or the young people.

Good for you though.  Must have involved quite a lot of hard work, even if it was rewarding.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #118 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Smile  I really wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to - the manners or the young people.

Good for you though.  Must have involved quite a lot of hard work, even if it was rewarding.

It did but since the majority of it involved cooking or baking-both of which I love doing; or sitting drinking tea while listening to their problems it wasn't that difficult Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How superstitious are you? « Reply #119 on: August 13, 2010, 05:58 AM »

Just realised today is Friday 13th.  Any triskaidekaphobes out there?

Doesn't bother me (much) but I once worked beside a man in his 50s who used to spend every Friday 13th in bed.  Nobody paid any attention to his absences until a clever member of staff finally put 2+2 together.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »